The Student Room Group

Purposely missing an AS exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marsell
Thank you for your help!

I don't really understand why you wouldn't sit the exam still. I got a U in an AS subject and it hasn't made a single difference to anything since I found out on results day. Universities haven't cared, my teacher didn't care and my college didn't care.

I wanted to just skip the exams too, I had a 35% attendance and didn't do any work for the subject, so when I opened the papers I had no idea what was going on, so I just half-assed everything and waited for the clock to run down. Saved me getting into trouble with my college.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I think this is correct for current exams BUT as it's a new style AS exam I wouldn't like to say 100% what unis will/won't be sent. I don't think UCAS would change the way they handle this, but I wouldn't like to bet my uni applications on it.

If it were me, I'd probably contact UCAS before making a final decision just to check that they won't change the way they handle this in the next application cycle.

Yes, very true. Let us ask the expert: @PQ
Original post by pizzanomics
I don't really understand why you wouldn't sit the exam still. I got a U in an AS subject and it hasn't made a single difference to anything since I found out on results day. Universities haven't cared, my teacher didn't care and my college didn't care.

I wanted to just skip the exams too, I had a 35% attendance and didn't do any work for the subject, so when I opened the papers I had no idea what was going on, so I just half-assed everything and waited for the clock to run down. Saved me getting into trouble with my college.

Currently, you have to declare a U on your application, but not an X (X is what you get if you don't attend). This does mean there is some advantage to not sitting the exam.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, very true. Let us ask the expert: @PQ

As far as I know the new style AS levels make the situation even clearer - they are 100% an independent qualification and any grades or attempts have to be declared. A non-attempt (X "grade") should not be declared.
Original post by PQ
As far as I know the new style AS levels make the situation even clearer - they are 100% an independent qualification and any grades or attempts have to be declared. A non-attempt (X "grade":wink: should not be declared.

Excellent. Simples. *impersonates annoying meerkat*
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Currently, you have to declare a U on your application, but not an X (X is what you get if you don't attend). This does mean there is some advantage to not sitting the exam.

That's the thing though.. I declared my U on UCAS and it's had no impact (negative or otherwise) on anything I've done since I opened the envelope on my AS results day two years ago. Hardly anyone knows about it, and those that do have never even asked about it!

I can totally understand wanting to take the X, but the only thing that sways me towards sitting the exam is that you could scrape a pass and those extra points could come in handy next year.
Original post by pizzanomics
That's the thing though.. I declared my U on UCAS and it's had no impact (negative or otherwise) on anything I've done since I opened the envelope on my AS results day two years ago. Hardly anyone knows about it, and those that do have never even asked about it!

That's great for you, but it may not be true of the OP.
Do you have to declare your grades if you failed first year of AS ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should probably consider whether your school will allow you to continue onto A2 if you fail to attend an exam. Some people did that during my A levels where they decided they had done the coursework or sat one exam but would not sit the last exam, and my school kicked them out because, to be frank, it's pretty poor to not turn up to an exam that your school has paid to enter you for. You might as well just cram for a couple of weeks and do your best in the exams. I did an AS during my A2s and it was pretty difficult trying to get good grades in the harder year of A levels and also having to worry about an AS that I didn't have any motivation for and was in a class with younger people who I didn't know.
I'm interested in doing the same thing for history, I will turn up though but just sit there.

I've requested to be removed from the course BEFORE the Christmas break many times and have been denied. Since then I haven't attended the lessons at all and know nothing about it, only a bit about Germany but definitely not enough to get a decent grade. I'm focusing on my other subjects, I really do not care about History at all. Might probably jot a few things down if I see anything I'm familiar with to buy time. But other than that, I'll be head down minding my own business.

But, just to confirm with someone, if I just sit there and not do anything will I get a X or a U?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradesUnlocked
I'm interested in doing the same thing for history, I will turn up though but just sit there.

I've requested to be removed from the course BEFORE the Christmas break many times and have been denied. Since then I haven't attended the lessons at all and know nothing about it, only a bit about Germany but definitely not enough to get a decent grade. I'm focusing on my other subjects, I really do not care about History at all. Might probably jot a few things down if I see anything I'm familiar with to buy time. But other than that, I'll be head down minding my own business.

But, just to confirm with someone, if I just sit there and not do anything will I get a X or a U?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you turn up you'll get a U and will have to declare it on your application.
Reply 51
Original post by Marsell
I've got my AS exams coming and I'm almost certain I'll fail my Economics exam. My other 3 subjects on the other hand I'm predicted A's and so I'd like to just miss my economics one. Will Uni's be able to see my grade at all? Or will it seem as though I never even studied Economics and only did the other 3? Also I plan to pick up another AS next year and do it for only the first year to get some extra UCAS points.
As a further point I have asked my teacher to allow me to not take the exam but was told it is too late.

Now you are submitted, your grade will be entered on to UCAS, therefore if you don't sit you will get a U!! Honestly this could jeopardise offers from uni, even if you're not planning on studying it at uni. I would just say give it your best shot, even if you don't feel confident because you'll be dropping it anyway. Good luck! :smile:
I remember this. I didn't declare anything about my exams/resits. Just my final overall grade and it was perfectly fine! :smile:
Original post by theseeker
I remember this. I didn't declare anything about my exams/resits. Just my final overall grade and it was perfectly fine! :smile:
The rules may have changed since then.
Original post by hsm998
Now you are submitted, your grade will be entered on to UCAS, therefore if you don't sit you will get a U!! Honestly this could jeopardise offers from uni, even if you're not planning on studying it at uni. I would just say give it your best shot, even if you don't feel confident because you'll be dropping it anyway. Good luck! :smile:

This is false. If OP doesn't sit the exam, he'll get an X, and will not have to declare it on his application, though it could negatively impact his/her school's impression of him/her.

Original post by Minerva
The rules may have changed since then.

The rules had definitely changed since then, I thought? The UCAS help threads for the last few years have emphatically said that all resits have to be declared, unless one goes to the small number of private schools that don't certificate some qualifications such as ASs. :beard:
Original post by Hydeman

The rules had definitely changed since then, I thought? The UCAS help threads for the last few years have emphatically said that all resits have to be declared, unless one goes to the small number of private schools that don't certificate some qualifications such as ASs. :beard:

Minerva wrote most of the help threads and commissions most of the stickies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
This is false. If OP doesn't sit the exam, he'll get an X, and will not have to declare it on his application, though it could negatively impact his/her school's impression of him/her.

The rules have indeed changed, but I what I don't know is whether theseeker was talking about last year or several years ago- hence, they may have been acting reasonably according to the rules that applied at the time of their application.
Original post by Minerva
The rules have indeed changed, but I what I don't know is whether theseeker was talking about last year or several years ago- hence, they may have been acting reasonably according to the rules that applied at the time of their application.

There was a time when resits didn't have to be declared? :eek: I suddenly wish I was older...
Original post by Hydeman
There was a time when resits didn't have to be declared? :eek: I suddenly wish I was older...

There was a time when you didn't have to write a personal statement. Come to that, there was a time when resits didn't exist.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There was a time when you didn't have to write a personal statement. Come to that, there was a time when resits didn't exist.

I could live with that. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending