The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mobbsy91

I did it in my instructor's car, as I went with my instructor, it had the mirror and stuff already there for the examiner... We took it for a car wash before hand anyway, but the interior was also very clean...

I was going to say I thought you could only do it in a car with dual controls, but according to gov.uk you only need dual controls in a hire car? I don't get why it makes a difference?
Original post by rayquaza17
I was going to say I thought you could only do it in a car with dual controls, but according to gov.uk you only need dual controls in a hire car? I don't get why it makes a difference?

:dontknow: :iiam:
Reply 122
Had a great driving lesson today. We just done driving today and it was a mix of country roads, one way streeys, bypasses and roundabouts and today was the least my instructor has directed me. She let me choose most of the routes and I didn't stall as much as usual either :smile:
Reply 123
Looking up available spaces for my driving test and the soonest I can get is 11th Aug so I'll probably just end up going for that date or the 12th tomorrow when I book it. What time would you say is the best to sit your test? I have found tests available at 8 in the morning and the latest available so far is 2:37pm and there are some times in between.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Looking up available spaces for my driving test and the soonest I can get is 11th Aug so I'll probably just end up going for that date of the 12th tomorrow when I book it. What time would you say is the best to sit your test? I have found tests available at 8 in the morning and the latest available so far is 2:37pm and there are some times in between.

Depends on your area really... For my area, about 10.34 or something like that was the prime time to take the test!!
Looking up available spaces for my driving test and the soonest I can get is 11th Aug so I'll probably just end up going for that date or the 12th tomorrow when I book it. What time would you say is the best to sit your test? I have found tests available at 8 in the morning and the latest available so far is 2:37pm and there are some times in between.

I booked mine for 2.05pm, only because I didn't really want my test really really early plus I wanted to be more awake for when I do my practical, plus my instructor said I'll do an hour with him before the test so yeah :redface:

And with times, I think it depends on the area where you'll be sitting your test I think, might be wrong there :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
I booked mine for 2.05pm, only because I didn't really want my test really really early plus I wanted to be more awake for when I do my practical, plus my instructor said I'll do an hour with him before the test so yeah :redface:

And with times, I think it depends on the area where you'll be sitting your test I think, might be wrong there :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not wrong! Some centres locations have quieter times at different times to other centres...

Ask your instructor what time they think is the best! But tbh 8am is very early!
You're not wrong! Some centres locations have quieter times at different times to other centres...

Ah ok cool :smile:
My instructor seemed cool with the time I've got, partly because my test is a few weeks in of the summer holidays so obviously no schools are open.. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok cool :smile:
My instructor seemed cool with the time I've got, partly because my test is a few weeks in of the summer holidays so obviously no schools are open.. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh yeh! I literally went with what my instructor told me to, as you've kinda got to assume they know what they're talking about... Unless they're one of those money stealing instructors who hope you fail every time xD
Ahh yeh! I literally went with what my instructor told me to, as you've kinda got to assume they know what they're talking about... Unless they're one of those money stealing instructors who hope you fail every time xD

Yeah exactly! My instructor told me to book it for August as I'm working on my manoeuvres so kinda have to know what he's talking about :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly! My instructor told me to book it for August as I'm working on my manoeuvres so kinda have to know what he's talking about :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh! I was fortunate that my sister used the same instructor before me after she'd moved from one previously. She's older than me, so had him before me, so I could see how much she'd improved with him, she passed first time despite all odds, and he was really good... So I could trust him knowing he'd do a great job...

Manoeuvres imo are good to get right, mainly because, just a small cock up in it, and that can kinda screw your test, but it's such a small part of driving to get failed on... Lots of practice :yy: And don't worry about them, it wasn't until about 2 days before my test that I could do parallel park and stuff, and on the morning of my test, when my instructor got me to do each once or twice, I think I cocked each of them up majorly... Only in my test did I do it right!! Now, I'm perfect at them all of course :biggrin:
This'll probably sound silly but I find it difficult figuring out how much steering to do when turning into different roads...At the start of my lesson I ended up in the other lane, nearly hitting an approaching car...then I started steering extra and I ended up hitting the kerb...I feel like such a reckless driver :lol:
Knowing my left and right (no joke) and who to give way to at roundabouts, so driving an ambulance is going to be interesting to say the least! (Just to add, i've been driving for 8 years):eek:
Original post by Biryani007
This'll probably sound silly but I find it difficult figuring out how much steering to do when turning into different roads...At the start of my lesson I ended up in the other lane, nearly hitting an approaching car...then I started steering extra and I ended up hitting the kerb...I feel like such a reckless driver :lol:

Nah, that's not silly... It just takes practice to know how much the wheels will turn with the steering wheel!! It's better to think of it as turning the steering wheel is guiding the car and so you don't need to turn it too sharply generally! You'll get the hang of it!!

Original post by smellybelly1991
Knowing my left and right (no joke) and who to give way to at roundabouts, so driving an ambulance is going to be interesting to say the least! (Just to add, i've been driving for 8 years):eek:

Left and rights have always been a struggle for me too!! I hated it when I got the 'take the next left' in the test... Good luck with it though!! Driving an ambulance sounds awesome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has your instructor told you to look for cancellations? How much practice have you had on manoeuvres so far? I know I am not an instructor, but if you are already doing manoeuvres then surely you will be ready before August for your test? It is advisable to get loads of practice in and so it might be a good move to have it in August, but it's just a thought.
Reply 136
Original post by smellybelly1991

I know my left and right perfectly at any point other than when driving :tongue: as soon as an instructor tells me to go left or right or my partner asks what way we should go, my mind goes blank and I totally forget what's left and right :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, that's not silly... It just takes practice to know how much the wheels will turn with the steering wheel!! It's better to think of it as turning the steering wheel is guiding the car and so you don't need to turn it too sharply generally! You'll get the hang of it!!

Left and rights have always been a struggle for me too!! I hated it when I got the 'take the next left' in the test... Good luck with it though!! Driving an ambulance sounds awesome :biggrin:

I had to right R and L on my wrists for my test haha epic fail!! Its so embarrassing even now when someone tells me to take the next left..I freeze and think 'ahh Fu$k'!
Reply 138
Original post by rayquaza17
Ask your instructor what time they think is the best! But tbh 8am is very early!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your area really... For my area, about 10.34 or something like that was the prime time to take the test!!

Thanks everyone for your tips :smile: I've text my instructor and she said any time between 12 and 4pm is good because then I can have an hour of practice beforehand. I'll let yous know what time I book tomorrow :smile:

8am is waaaaay too early for me :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know my left and right perfectly at any point other than when driving :tongue: as soon as an instructor tells me to go left or right or my partner asks what way we should go, my mind goes blank and I totally forget what's left and right :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha aww!! I've learnt to point to the direction instead of having to say left or right (I'm known as a running joke for it..not fun!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending