The Student Room Group

Vicar's daughter. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
That's really interesting, thank you :smile: My mum isn't even that strong a Christian, yet doesn't believe in same sex marriage or children :redface: I, on the other hand, generally believe that it is best to have children in a secure marriage (even if it's to protect the children, legally), so find not being able to have same sex marriage yet being able to have children sort of illogical, idk :tongue:

I'll ask a slightly less deep question :lol: What are you studying/work as? What is your favourite TV show? :smile: (sorry if these have been asked).

I'm studying biology, chemistry, maths and German AS levels. My favourite TV show is The Big Bang Theory.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
Would that not leave morality effectively arbitrary, as God could theoretically mess about and change it whenever he wants?

And would it not also potentially leave one with no particular reasons to follow God's will? As rather than being a good individual in of itself by our standards he merely obeys his own commands and practices what he preaches, leaving the average bloke with no real reason to imitate his action?

I hope you don't take this as an attack or anything, it's not supposed to be one. It's just I don't get to explore the Christian view on these sorts of things very often and I'm a rather sad individual I guess :smile:

On a totally unrelated note, how do you respond to people that claim that most religious people nowadays are that way because they've been indoctrinated by their family?

I think God has a plan for everyone's life but we also have free will. It's like you know you should listen to your parents but sometimes mess up. God is our heavenly Father and Christians believe that they should follow God because He knows best but sometimes mess up. Like with parents, we have to admit that we're wrong to God and ask for forgiveness. Hope this makes sense!
I would agree that a lot of people hold certain beliefs because that's what their parents/family/friends believe. A lot of atheists and agnostics probably have parents who are atheist/agnostic, so it goes both ways.

I wouldn't take what you're doing as an attack. It's certainly challenged me to properly think through what I believe but i thought it would be a lot worse than it is.
Do ye prefer pigeons or seagulls?
Original post by homeland.lsw
They are really beautiful imo...not to be rude but when I went to a protestant service, I felt quite bored...:getmecoat: but the Orthodox service I went to was so cool and yeah...

Spoiler

I guess it's what you're used to. I've grown up going to CofE churches, so I'm used to it. Every time we go to a different church on holiday, their style of church seems strange because I'm not used to it.
Original post by horsewithnoname
I guess it's what you're used to. I've grown up going to CofE churches, so I'm used to it. Every time we go to a different church on holiday, their style of church seems strange because I'm not used to it.

Kewl....

I've always wondered, where does your dad's salary come from?
Original post by BubbleBoobies
are you a naughty vicar's daughter or just a normal one?

Just a normal one, I'm afraid.

Original post by quasa
do you have any geeky hobbies / what sports u enjoy watching?

This might not be classed as a hobby, but my favourite YouTuber is Tom Scott. I can probably recite all of the Les Mis musical. I enjoy watching football because I can understand it
Just a normal one, I'm afraid.

did your father do anything like spankings when you were younger?
Original post by homeland.lsw
Kewl....

I've always wondered, where does your dad's salary come from?

I think he gets paid by the diocese. I'm not entirely sure :confused: :confused:
Original post by BubbleBoobies
did your father do anything like spankings when you were younger?

My sister and I got 'put on the step' if we were naughty but I don't remember him ever hitting us. When he gets angry, he can get quite scary, so we always tried to stay on his good side
I think God has a plan for everyone's life but we also have free will. It's like you know you should listen to your parents but sometimes mess up. God is our heavenly Father and Christians believe that they should follow God because He knows best but sometimes mess up. Like with parents, we have to admit that we're wrong to God and ask for forgiveness. Hope this makes sense!

I get what you're saying. The question I was raising was more along the lines of "why bother following his plan if it's only good because he says it's good, and he's only good because he says what good is"

I'll put it this way: If God dictates what "best" is, him "knowing best" is effectively just him knowing what he thinks, so why should a person with free will choose to follow such things? I can't find an answer to such a question in what you've said
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I get what you're saying. The question I was raising was more along the lines of "why bother following his plan if it's only good because he says it's good, and he's only good because he says what good is"

I'll put it this way: If God dictates what "best" is, him "knowing best" is effectively just him knowing what he thinks, so why should a person with free will choose to follow such things? I can't find an answer to such a question in what you've said

Honestly I don't know. I don't know what God thinks or knows. I believe that God is perfect in every way and I have to assume whatever God plans for me is for the best
I don't wish to offer a question but i will state my opinion and that is your views are truly frightening.

But kudos to you for living with such views and having courage in your conviction.
Reply 91
What is your stance on social issues?

I love your avatar, by the way. :h:
Honestly I don't know. I don't know what God thinks or knows. I believe that God is perfect in every way and I have to assume whatever God plans for me is for the best

It sounds like I have an actual response to the dilemma that you might like to adopt, based on what you've said. I feel bad leaving somebody in a potential existential crisis.

A few philosophers have said in ye kind of olde times that it's actually a false dilemma. God neither conforms to nor comes up with the moral order. Instead God's very nature is the standard we must follow. Basically, God is goodness, and so he is the standard to follow. He only acts out of his nature, there's no moral order he's invented or one he follows. Apparently the Jews had come up with this sort of view of God before the dilemma was even invented, according to mah boi wikipedia.

I'll move on from philosophical stuff, something else has been bugging me: On wikipedia and on one of your earlier posts, when referring to God using words like "he" or "his", it's had a capital H. Is there a reason for that which I'm not aware of or am I just seeing a lot of extremely coincidental typos?
Is there much difference between a vicar and a priest?
Do you feel pressure to act a certain way due to your parent's occupation?
Reply 94
Do your parents allow you to have a bf?
As the title suggests. I'll try to answer everything but if there's anything that I find offensive, I won't answer.

EDIT: I don't want to reveal too many personal details, so if you ask something like that, I'll either not answer it or PM you.

Anglican or Catholic?
Reply 96
Do you think it right that the church has decided it can no longer be bothered to maintain its (full, so no space for making money from new plots) burial grounds and so has instead passed them off to the local parish councils who are now having to fund the upkeep through tax-payer money?
How much do Vicars get paid on average? Is it a sustainable career?
Do you think morality is absolute or relative?
Share one piece of wisdom you've learned about life?

Quick Reply

Latest