The Student Room Group

Doctors note to miss exam?

I've been diagnosed as depressed and I'm retaking my whole psychology Alevel. My doctor today said he could write me a note to say I'm not well enough to sit my exam/s.
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?
Is it possible to resit an exam at a later date to anyone else?

I know you can get a note if you're sick so your paper is marked more leniently but I don't think that's what my doctor was talking about.
Original post by alice97
I've been diagnosed as depressed and I'm retaking my whole psychology Alevel. My doctor today said he could write me a note to say I'm not well enough to sit my exam/s.

I know you can get a note if you're sick so your paper is marked more leniently but I don't think that's what my doctor was talking about.

Assuming you are not taking international A levels, If you miss your exams you can only take them next summer. As you are retaking the old specification next summer would be your last opportunity to retake the exams.
Exams are not marked more leniently if you are unwell or are facing other problems such as bereavement but your final result can be upgraded by up to 5% depending on the severity of the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by alice97

Your doctor won't know the full details of exam policy. Unfortunately you can't just miss exams unless you have a really good reason, and one doctors note is unlikely to be sufficient. Usually it's for students in hospital (and even then they prefer to arrange extra time if the student could possibly take them)

The best you can hope for is extra time, or something like an alternative room if being with fewer people will help.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Assuming you are not taking international A levels, If you miss your exams you can only take them next summer. As you are retaking the old specification next summer would be your last opportunity to retake the exams.
Exams are not marked more leniently if you are unwell or are facing other problems such as bereavement but your final result can be upgraded by up to 5% depending on the severity of the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks.
Yeah I wasn't sure what he was talking about then because next year is no good to me.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Your doctor won't know the full details of exam policy. Unfortunately you can't just miss exams unless you have a really good reason, and one doctors note is unlikely to be sufficient. Usually it's for students in hospital (and even then they prefer to arrange extra time if the student could possibly take them)

The best you can hope for is extra time, or something like an alternative room if being with fewer people will help.

Yeah I guess I'll just have to speak to him again because i didn't think that was possible either.
Reply 5
I was diagnosed with mental health issues last year. For my A2 exams, mitigating circumstances was submitted for me because I was on a lot of medication changes. Perhaps that's what is meant?
Original post by alice97
Yeah I guess I'll just have to speak to him again because i didn't think that was possible either.

I'd ask the doctor to write a note and get your school/college to apply for special consideration ASAP :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
I was diagnosed with mental health issues last year. For my A2 exams, mitigating circumstances was submitted for me because I was on a lot of medication changes. Perhaps that's what is meant?

So what did that mean for your exams? Your grade was boosted slightly?
Reply 8
Original post by alice97
So what did that mean for your exams? Your grade was boosted slightly?

I honestly don't know. I never asked. I got AABa and I was predicted that. I wouldn't rely on it.

Quick Reply

Latest