The Student Room Group

Anyone have any thoughts on the Edexcel Applied ICT 'Last Minute Laura' Pre release?

I'm slightly concerned about the large amount of sheets and the fact that there is so much to do with time and tides - I know nothing about tides and struggle with converting things to time on excel!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you think that it is harder than last years Truckles
Reply 2
What formulas would be reccomended for this exam
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jalizajade
Do you think that it is harder than last years Truckles

Personally I think it looks a lot harder. I did the truckles exam as a mock and found it hard but this looks a lot more difficult, especially as someone who struggles with time.
Reply 4
Does anyone have any idea about what kind of tasks we might be asked to do?
I have been looking at IF(AND( statements to check if the tide is the right depth (Depth In & Depth Out), and asking it to return Y or N which correlates with their current conditional formatting. I have then used INDEX(MATCH( to get the tide start and end to work properly, still working on Clearance In and Clearance Out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
kill me now
this is too hard for my small brain.
help is needed
Reply 7
Original post by ciaranh98
I have been looking at IF(AND( statements to check if the tide is the right height, and asking it to return Y or N which correlates with their current conditional formatting. I have then used INDEX(MATCH( to get the tide start and end to work properly, still working on Clearance In and Clearance Out.

keep up the good work buddy
good luck for your exam :biggrin:
I have been looking at IF(AND( statements to check if the tide is the right height, and asking it to return Y or N which correlates with their current conditional formatting. I have then used INDEX(MATCH( to get the tide start and end to work properly, still working on Clearance In and Clearance Out.

Any ideas on the formulas for depth in and out?
Original post by seemamohammed
Any ideas on the formulas for depth in and out?

This is what I used the IF(AND( statements for and I asked it to return either a Y or a N depending on whether the Tide Start and Tide End meet the requirements (e.g. Bird Sanctuary must be between 1.6m and 20m). You only really need the IF(AND( statement for two of the attractions, Upton Manor and Fingals Cave, the others can just be IF( statements with < or >. But I used it for all of them so that you can just copy the formula for each one, saves time.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is what I think, I prefer using INDEX(MATCH( to VLOOKUP(.
There are two more sheets if you right click on any page at the bottom and click unhide, you can unhide the october tides sheet and sheet3
Also, the examiner has been very sneaky and has hidden some data behind pictures so if you unprotect the worksheets using the password 'edexcel' you are able to move the picture and have full access
Original post by samiyahussain
Also, the examiner has been very sneaky and has hidden some data behind pictures so if you unprotect the worksheets using the password 'edexcel' you are able to move the picture and have full access

I've just had a look at that and on the "selection" sheet, it gives the sights and a variety of times. Are these supposed to be clues or what? If I'm being honest, I don't even know what the **** I need to do
Anyone find flaws in the models?
For activity 4 to evaluate the model we are often asked to suggest improvements for the model in the report..
Also for Tide in and tide out, why cant we just use a vlook up instead of an INDEX MATCH
Original post by seemamohammed
Anyone find flaws in the models?
For activity 4 to evaluate the model we are often asked to suggest improvements for the model in the report..
Also for Tide in and tide out, why cant we just use a vlook up instead of an INDEX MATCH

What do we actually have to do? What are all these activities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you can use VLOOKUP, whatever is easier for you to remember. One of the things that it mentions in the pre-release is that the tide cannot be so high that the boat hits the bridge when it goes underneath, however, the scenario does not specify what the height of the boat is.
There will be 4 activities:

1. Understand the Scenario, find 10 points that you have noticed in the Scenario that are important, e.g. the max/min depths etc.
2. Complete the Model
3. Complete model extension tasks (you won't see these until you enter the exam)
4. Complete Report & Evaluation including suggestions and graphs etc.

All of these are similar for every exam if you look at any past papers.

Time spent on each Activity:
Activity 1: 15 mins (approx.)
Activity 2: 60 mins (approx.)
Activity 3: 30 mins (approx.)
Activity 4: 35 mins (approx.)

Times will change depending on the extension exercises, but the paper will tell you how much time is recommended you spend on each activity.

Marks for each Activity:
Activity 1: 17 Marks (approx.)
Activity 2: 28 Marks (approx.)
Activity 3: 28 Marks (approx.)
Activity 4: 15 Marks (approx.)
Standard ways of working: 2 marks

Make sure your teachers have told you how to print specific areas of an Excel Sheet and make sure you print and save EVERYTHING the exam paper tells you to or you can lose unnecessary marks.

If its not printed, it won't be marked.

If it's printed badly, you will lose "standard ways of marking" marks.

Make sure you know how to use "Show Formulas" on Excel as you will need to show the formulas you have used, not just the answer!

Bear in mind that all of this information is based on a range of past papers, it doesn't mean it can't change, but this is unlikely, everything will probably stay fairly similar to past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
I have been looking at IF(AND( statements to check if the tide is the right depth (Depth In & Depth Out), and asking it to return Y or N which correlates with their current conditional formatting. I have then used INDEX(MATCH( to get the tide start and end to work properly, still working on Clearance In and Clearance Out.

what does clearance mean??

Quick Reply

Latest