The Student Room Group

can we stop with this ludicrous assumption that beauty is completely subjective?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carrotstar
I don't understand what's so funny? I'm just not attracted to anyone else :dontknow:

well, for the time being that is
Original post by Straighthate
there are certain proportions and features that are deemed attractive by the general population
you cant argue this, its fact that a certain proportion of society deems those features attractive, that is objective, it doesnt vary much between any population afaik

look at the study above, its 50/50
its not 100% subjective at all

the only existing objective measure imo

take any face
photoshop it so that it's in golden proportion, it will look better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alkaline.
take any face
photoshop it so that it's in golden proportion, it will look better.

that cant be true
after all, its not as though these guys are swooned over by women

Original post by Straighthate
that cant be true
after all, its not as though these guys are swooned over by women

I'm not saying it will suddenly make someone attractive and I know that someone whose face is out of golden proportion can still be WAY hotter than someone who's face in proportion.

I am saying generally , take any face even one that is already beautiful, put it in golden proportion it will still look better than it did without golden proportion.
Original post by alkaline.
I'm not saying it will suddenly make someone attractive and I know that someone whose face is out of golden proportion can still be WAY hotter than someone who's face in proportion.

I am saying generally , take any face even one that is already beautiful, put it in golden proportion it will still look better than it did without golden proportion.

thats the point
'in general' is still a pretty powerful effect, enough to be very significant considering we are such dynamic beings, especially when it comes to taste
Original post by carrotstar
Beauty is definitely subjective. I'd put him at about a 6, personally. And I'd put my boyfriend at a 10 because I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses :wink:
When you're in love or have a crush on someone, you don't notice their imperfections

What you're saying is so true. When I was in love my guy couldn't do any wrong and he treated me like **** and I still loved him. At that time he was the sexiest person alive to me. I didn't notice that he was gaining weight and had silly hair cuts during this time.
beauty is only skin deep. it is what is deep inside you that matters.
Original post by the bear

clearly not for most
because why are most couples generally of similar attractiveness?
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
What you're saying is so true. When I was in love my guy couldn't do any wrong and he treated me like **** and I still loved him. At that time he was the sexiest person alive to me. I didn't notice that he was gaining weight and had silly hair cuts during this time.

Yes, unfortunately it can be a very bad thing because people get stuck.. One of my friend's parents when I was younger had an abusive partner and she would have a broken rib one week and a broken nose the next. There was always an imaginitive story to cover it up and she hid it very well until eventually realising the place she was in. She's much happier now, but there are so many people stuck down there without a ladder! :frown:
Original post by iEthan
:erm: everyone is entitled to their opinion!

No, everybody is entitled to an informed opinion.
Original post by BizzStrut
No, everybody is entitled to an informed opinion.

:smile:
Original post by the bear

Exactly 6.32405 inches deep in my case
Original post by NewcastleFresher

Aestethics?

You mean Aesthetics.
Original post by BizzStrut
Dude, he has a speech impediment; You can't say that...

Did you think I made the meme, lol? @Kurogane

Also, lol @ the misuse of that semi-colon :teehee:
(edited 7 years ago)
Certain features, such as symmetry, proportion, etc. are objective.

However, you will find that once you go down into detail, it is very much subjective.
Did you think I made the meme, lol? @Kurogane

Also, lol @ the misuse of that semi-colon :teehee:

You reposted a meme with incorrect spelling above the sexy piece of man meat, that's even worse.
Original post by Kurogane
You reposted a meme with incorrect spelling above the sexy piece of man meat, that's even worse.

no homo?
no homo?

Why do you care if he says no homo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
no homo?

Whatever floats your boat mate, none of my concern.

Quick Reply

Latest