The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeolk
Did how they were secretive of their projects or something and did real life adaptions of their classic films. For the next question i used word choice which was stratospheric

Yeah I used that word as well
I also used stratospheric for Q2, I think it could have been the easiest question in the whole exam.

As the stratosphere is extremely high in the sky where very few objects or organisms can be, so Frozen has experienced huge success (high in the sky) which very few films of their kind have been able to do (very few things can be in the stratosphere).

I hope that's correct xD
Original post by Salenite
There was this line that said something about "with her grandiose sulks, Elsa could be the first emo princess in Disney", or something like that. All I remember is 'grandiose sulks' and 'emo princess'. :P

This resulted in swathes of mockery on Facebook and Twitter afterwards.

Haha good ol' SQA controversy, also from looking at your posts I would think you're pretty much a cert to get an A so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Original post by MartinDUFC
Haha good ol' SQA controversy, also from looking at your posts I would think you're pretty much a cert to get an A so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

At least it wasn't this benign neglect thing that I've heard of in the past. :tongue:

Aww, thanks! I always seem to do kinda ugh in the exam compared to my revision though. :tongue:
Reply 104
Original post by Jay431
My points for the last question are nearly the same as yours.

I wrote about how she gets nervous too easily when in front of large crowds, she gets intimidated, she's ambitious, her sister admires her bla bla lol.

For the hard situation one I commented on the word choice of "Hulking" or "Bulking" lol.. Can't remember, But I wrote that it suggests that the athletes or sportsmen were too strong or something which made her feel intimidated lol.
I quoted "Criticized" and then talked about how she failed to hit a note or something lol.

There was another thing I quoted but I really can't remember. What did you write?

The last question was havoc! i wrote like 8 bullet points. For the situation i think i put down sub zero temperature and explained the icy condition she worked in. And used the word choice "daunting" to say her nervousness.... the link question got me as well, any idea if association counts as link back??:colondollar:
Original post by ___Sophie___
Yeah the question where it was part b of the question with two parts was really weird, I'm pretty sure I did that one wrong.
For the 8 mark question I compared it to in the snack bar and said that both poems showed the human issue that people can be judgemental, I'm not sure if that's right though, it probably isn't. I think the other questions were ok so I hope I'll still get an A.
I would have been happy with any other poem. :frown:
What did you do for the 8 mark question?

I'm sure u will be fine 😌 And I did in the snack bar too thankfully and I did about the mans loneliness sort of the same idea and have the writer feels empathy towards him :smile: we will wait and see I'm sure u did fine 👍👍
Original post by ellie.w4
I'm sure u will be fine 😌 And I did in the snack bar too thankfully and I did about the mans loneliness sort of the same idea and have the writer feels empathy towards him :smile: we will wait and see I'm sure u did fine 👍👍

Yeah what you did makes sense I think :smile:
Hopefully it will all be ok.
Reply 107
Original post by yeolk
The last question was havoc! i wrote like 8 bullet points. For the situation i think i put down sub zero temperature and explained the icy condition she worked in. And used the word choice "daunting" to say her nervousness.... the link question got me as well, any idea if association counts as link back??:colondollar:

Tell me about it. The link question was easy to link forward to, But quite tough to link back. I said something to do with Menzel and her success as playing Elsa or something. Messed up that question and question 8+9

oh and I also used stratosphere!
Reply 108
Original post by studyranger
I just did imagery and talked about the theme of loss because in originally she loses her identity and compared it to Havisham and Anne Hathaway. Because they both lost their love

Oh right I see. How about the second last question which was the effective conclusion of "Originally?...Hesitate."?

What did you write about? I wrote that the positioning of hesitate conveys her sense of uncertainty as she has to pause and think what the question means. Then I done something with the word choice of originally and linked it back to the title lol.
Original post by Jay431
Tell me about it. The link question was easy to link forward to, But quite tough to link back. I said something to do with Menzel and her success as playing Elsa or something. Messed up that question and question 8+9

oh and I also used stratosphere!

I got "one woman" links back to the previous paragraph
Reply 110
Original post by Salenite
I also used stratospheric for Q2, I think it could have been the easiest question in the whole exam.

As the stratosphere is extremely high in the sky where very few objects or organisms can be, so Frozen has experienced huge success (high in the sky) which very few films of their kind have been able to do (very few things can be in the stratosphere).

I hope that's correct xD

Do you think I'll get the marks for sentence structure or do 2 things not make a list? Lol

I overthought the question, I was worried stratospheric wouldn't count for word choice since it's a metaphor (I think??)
Does anyone have a copy of the close reading paper and maccaig section they coukd upload?
Original post by Jay431
Oh right I see. How about the second last question which was the effective conclusion of "Originally?...Hesitate."?

What did you write about? I wrote that the positioning of hesitate conveys her sense of uncertainty as she has to pause and
think what the question means. Then I done something with the word choice of originally and linked it back to the title lol.

Yeah I had done something very similar lol but I am really freaking out about my result now
Did anyone do a poetry essay on Havisham by Carol Ann Duffy???

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have a copy of rule paper?? also what were the questions for prose and drama?
Original post by Jay431
Yeah. I done the contrast between "Glee to Frozen" and the other examples given But I said that it was a list or something lol. Overall that question was a killer lol. It was all going sunshine and rainbows until I got to that one lol. And the summarise one was a bit meh...

What did you write for the last question, the summary one?

For the disney one I wrote the following:
1) They like to keep things private.
2) They had no intention of making a part 2 of Frozen (I tried to use another word other than sequel... It didn't go well lol)
3) They instead produced a short clip.
4) They were fine with gaining money due to their advertisements (This one was something about the commercial bit)
5) Can't remember what I wrote here

I think it was 73% last year. Not sure though.

What did you all get for the second question which went something like "Show how Frozen was successfully?"

For writing sequels another way I just wrote "a follow-up movie", it was the only way I could put it
Original post by Lewis H01
Anyone else did sailmaker for Scottish text
And how did you find it?

I did sailmaker and I found it pretty easy, but I was hoping the 8 marker would be the friendship between Alex and Ian, I still managed to do it by quoting words cause I couldn't remember a lot of quotes, I quoted "yacht" and "sailmaking tools" and I said along the lines of it being symbolic cause in the passage they were quite close but at the end the had to burn them both as Davie couldn't fix it, just like they now cannot fix the bond between them
Original post by Lucy3107
I did sailmaker and I found it pretty easy, but I was hoping the 8 marker would be the friendship between Alex and Ian, I still managed to do it by quoting words cause I couldn't remember a lot of quotes, I quoted "yacht" and "sailmaking tools" and I said along the lines of it being symbolic cause in the passage they were quite close but at the end the had to burn them both as Davie couldn't fix it, just like they now cannot fix the bond between them

I done the same hopefully I can get 18 or 19 out of 20
Original post by jj1814
Do you think I'll get the marks for sentence structure or do 2 things not make a list? Lol

I overthought the question, I was worried stratospheric wouldn't count for word choice since it's a metaphor (I think??)

It did say use of language after all, so I guess you'd get the 2 marks for sentence structure.
I wouldn't consider stratospheric as a metaphor, but I can easily see why people would think that :tongue:
Original post by Jay431
:/

How's everyone feeling about it? What poems are you doing? Anyone feeling confident?

I'm doing Norman MacCaig poems and Macbeth.

I totally f***ed up my Critical Essay

Kill me ! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending