The Student Room Group

Marvel vs DC

After watching Batman vs Superman: Dawn of the Sequels and Captain America: Civil War, a friend made the point to me that while both films do the whole ethical dilemma of superheroes and whether they should be liable for the damage caused by their heroism, Captain America did it so much better.

Such as actually having the dispute between them clear and running throughout the film rather than just tossing in the fight at the end as an after thought, with the context as to why they were fighting clear, rather than just "****, we need to make them fight - insert plotpoint here" and having a villain who wasn't just stock zany maniac, and balancing the levity (mostly from anything Antman did tbf) with the serious themes and the serious themes being done through characterisation rather than just filming in the dark... The points can go on really, since Batman vs Superman: The Justice League: The Trailer was such a dreadful pile

Given Marvel is obviously miles ahead of DC in the film making stakes, what does DC need to do to catch up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
After watching Batman vs Superman: Dawn of the Sequels and Captain America: Civil War, a friend made the point to me that while both films do the whole ethical dilemma of superheroes and whether they should be liable for the damage caused by their heroism, Captain America did it so much better.

Such as actually having the dispute between them clear and running throughout the film rather than just tossing in the fight at the end as an after thought, with the context as to why they were fighting clear, rather than just "****, we need to make them fight - insert plotpoint here" and having a villain who wasn't just stock zany maniac, and balancing the levity (mostly from anything Antman did tbf) with the serious themes and the serious themes being done through characterisation rather than just filming in the dark... The points can go on really, since Batman vs Superman: The Justice League: The Trailer was such a dreadful pile

Given Marvel is obviously miles ahead of DC in the film making stakes, what does DC need to do to catch up?

DC films are OK but their tv series make up for it. The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow are really good. So if you want a good DC experience watch these shows. Agents of shield the tv show sucks so marvel isn't doing that well in the TV department, so you can't win them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
DC films are OK but their tv series make up for it. The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow are really good. So if you want a good DC experience watch these shows. Agents of shield the tv show sucks so marvel isn't doing that well in the TV department, so you can't win them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This :h:

Altho i preferred BvS to Civil War :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't say I've watched those, but Jessica Jones was pretty good (although I'd find it very difficult not to like anything David Tennant is in), likewise Daredevil, so I'm not sure you can say their TV shows are poor.
Legends of Tomorrow sucked so bad I had to stop after episode seven. has it got better? Agents of Shield as well was terrible, but its meant to have gotten betters. Jessica Jones , Agent Carter and Daredevil have been pretty good. Gotham as well.

Part of the DC problem with films is Zack Snyder. Marvel films tend to be standard fare and nothing special, although Deadpool and GOTG were good.
Original post by DesiGirl31
This :h:

Altho i preferred BvS to Civil War :biggrin:

I liked batman vs Superman because of Henry Cavill lol I'm sorry but he's just too delicious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
Legends of Tomorrow sucked so bad I had to stop after episode seven. has it got better? Agents of Shield as well was terrible, but its meant to have gotten betters. Jessica Jones , Agent Carter and Daredevil have been pretty good. Gotham as well.

Part of the DC problem with films is Zack Snyder. Marvel films tend to be standard fare and nothing special, although Deadpool and GOTG were good.

Legends of Tomorrow is great. I think when they revealed where rip came from everything all started making sense and now that they've captured savage it'll be better.
Can't say I've watched those, but Jessica Jones was pretty good (although I'd find it very difficult not to like anything David Tennant is in), likewise Daredevil, so I'm not sure you can say their TV shows are poor.

Jessica Jones sucks. That girl can't act at all. Likewise daredevil. I couldn't stand 5 mins of the first episode.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Marvel has taken ages to build up their universe (films), and made sure all the films interconnect-it would take ages for DC to build up a story as good
I generally only like spiderman
why isn't spider man an avenger? he was the best and probably the most popular marvel superhero, wasn't he?
does he have nobody to avenge...? I know nothing about that franchise
Original post by meme259
Marvel has taken ages to build up their universe (films), and made sure all the films interconnect-it would take ages for DC to build up a story as good

2011 till now isn't that long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jessica Jones sucks. That girl can't act at all. Likewise daredevil. I couldn't stand 5 mins of the first episode.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really true. One of the best things Marvel has ever done, which is why it got such critical acclaim.
Reply 13
Original post by BubbleBoobies
why isn't spider man an avenger? he was the best and probably the most popular marvel superhero, wasn't he?

evident.

Spiderman is weak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caelus
evident.

...what is the point of your message then? :| you could have at least told me the answer to the question. ****ing hell

He was owned by Fox (like the X-Men) until last year, so Marvels film studio couldn't use him.
He was owned by Fox (like the X-Men) until last year, so Marvels film studio couldn't use him.

yeah but I thought generally these films were based on comics, and I thought that the comic version of avengers still pretty much revolvedd only around the hulk, iron man, thor and...(forgotten that last superhero - I think it might have been a woman) and it didn't generally include spider man, right? also, I thought spider man was included in capitain america civil war, not the avengers? aren't those quite different?
yeah but I thought generally these films were based on comics, and I thought that the comic version of avengers still pretty much revolvedd only around the hulk, iron man, thor and...(forgotten that last superhero - I think it might have been a woman) and it didn't generally include spider man, right? also, I thought spider man was included in capitain america civil war, not the avengers? aren't those quite different?

They use the comics as a jumping off point (like the Civil War film doesn't follow the Civil War comic story that closely), but Spiderman is part of the Avengers roster (although pretty much every character has been at some point).
They use the comics as a jumping off point (like the Civil War film doesn't follow the Civil War comic story that closely), but Spiderman is part of the Avengers roster (although pretty much every character has been at some point).

I wish they would do a DC/Marvel cross over movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest