The Student Room Group

Is this a better plan to get into Medicine?

Hi
I'm planning to take a year off after A-levels and do some work experience and then apply for Medicine later that year. Do i have a higher chance of getting in if i do so? Or is it better to apply straight after A-levels? I'm currently doing my as on chem,bio,maths and GPR. Haven't done any work experiences yet :frown: (I came in like 2 years ago to this country!) But I will have some sort of work experience befor I apply for UCAS in this October!
Say I get something like AAB for levels, and if i dont make it for a place in medicine after A-levels, is that a better plan??

Thanks a lot!
Original post by If u dont mind
Hi
I'm planning to take a year off after A-levels and do some work experience and then apply for Medicine later that year. Do i have a higher chance of getting in if i do so? Or is it better to apply straight after A-levels? I'm currently doing my as on chem,bio,maths and GPR. Haven't done any work experiences yet :frown: (I came in like 2 years ago to this country!) But I will have some sort of work experience befor I apply for UCAS in this October!
Say I get something like AAB for levels, and if i dont make it for a place in medicine after A-levels, is that a better plan??

Thanks a lot!

I honestly think that's the best plan for you! I'm hoping to do that too. Your application will look really good if you are going to be focused on working in the health industry for a year. You'll be exposed to a lot of things in the Hospital/Clinic etc. And you'll be ahead of your (future) classmates when it comes to going on placements in your course. :smile:
Hi

Thanks a lot!

Agreed. I think a year off will help to not only make your personal statement look more appealing, but also help you to decide whether medicine is really right for you. I know so many people who took a gap year and say that they wouldn't be the person they are today if they didn't. Most universities look for an AAA achievement now too, so if you get a B, more work experience and strong reflection on it will boost your application. It's not any harder to get in if you go a gap year, notwithstanding the lower level of support you'd get applying after you leave school.
Original post by cucumberhater
I honestly think that's the best plan for you! I'm hoping to do that too. Your application will look really good if you are going to be focused on working in the health industry for a year. You'll be exposed to a lot of things in the Hospital/Clinic etc. And you'll be ahead of your (future) classmates when it comes to going on placements in your course. :smile:

Thanks for your reply!:colondollar:
Are u doing As-level now? Can you tell me ur gcse stats and a-level predictions if u dont mind? Also, can u please tell me what sort of work experiences u have done?
Original post by antonyzac
Agreed. I think a year off will help to not only make your personal statement look more appealing, but also help you to decide whether medicine is really right for you. I know so many people who took a gap year and say that they wouldn't be the person they are today if they didn't. Most universities look for an AAA achievement now too, so if you get a B, more work experience and strong reflection on it will boost your application. It's not any harder to get in if you go a gap year, notwithstanding the lower level of support you'd get applying after you leave school.

Thank you so much for ur reply!:smile:
I think I have now decided that I'm gonna take a gap year after A-levels. :smile:

One last thing, do I have to apply through UCAS this october during my A2 or should I only do it a year after?

Cheers!🍻
Thank you so much for ur reply!:smile:
I think I have now decided that I'm gonna take a gap year after A-levels. :smile:

One last thing, do I have to apply through UCAS this october during my A2 or should I only do it a year after?

Cheers!🍻

You can only apply through UCAS on the year you intend to go to the university; you can't defer your entry. So in other words, apply during your gap year :smile: Good luck and feel free to ask anything else!
Hi

Thanks a lot!

I think you should apply twice just for the experience of the medical application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending