The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
READ THIS FIRST: These questions are all generic to tragedy. Adaptations to each text will be necessary. All questions end with: "To what extent do you agree?" The questions in Section A here (Q1-11), are tailored to the A Level Aspects of Tragedy paper section C. The term tragedy, will usually have to be replaced with 'the tragedy of *enter text here*'. The questions in Section B (Q12-16) are specifically for Tess.
SECTION A:
1.) "As tragic endings are always inevitable, the genre has become predictable and formulaic."
2.) "The desire to be happy is the ultimate cause of tragic circumstance"
3.) "The tragic protagonist is always the victim of their own conscience, rather than of a suppressive society."
4.) "The tragic protagonist is responsible for their own downfall."
5.) "In tragedy, the destruction of the hero, is necessary, and is upholding of the essential rights and institutions of ethical life."
6.) "The incentive moment in tragedy must be primarily a violation of moral law, whether human or divine."
7.) "Tragedy reaches its greatest depth: when the opposition between the particular, and universal, makes itself felt."
8.) "A tragic character, is one estranged from his complete self, who feels the pangs of isolation and the insufficiency of a divided nature."
9.) "Tragedy, is the consequence of a man's total compulsion to evaluate himself justly."
10.) "In the tragic view, the need of man to wholly realise himself, is the only 'fixed star', and whatever it is that hedges his nature and lowers it, is ripe for attack and examination."
11.) The tragic hero is always presented as the victim of circumstance."
SECTION B
12.) "Tess's future is determined by her history"
13.) "The tragedy of Tess depicts the destruction of the English peasantry through elaborate description of setting."
14.) "Tess's tragedy is fundamentally caused by 'the cruelty of lust and the fragility of love'"
15.) "Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a 'modern tragedy of people uprooted, in perpetual motion, searching for a home'."
16.) "Whatever the character of Alec d'Urberville does, Hardy never succeeds in presenting him as anything but a stage villain."

thank you, this is really helpful :smile:
Hi, I have test tomorrow on Keats and his presentations of female characters and I was wondering if anyone who was studying keats could help me on this section please, i am soo confused
Reply 62
Hey, I didn't really revise for English in Gcse but kinda struggling on how to revise for AS (apart from learning quotes!) I'm doing Othello, Death of a salesman, Great Gatsby and Thomas Hardy poetry.
Has anyone been given/have any revision tips?
Original post by SLBOR
Hey, I didn't really revise for English in Gcse but kinda struggling on how to revise for AS (apart from learning quotes!) I'm doing Othello, Death of a salesman, Great Gatsby and Thomas Hardy poetry.

I haven't really been given advice per se but it's just the usual of reading over notes, rereading texts and quotes are really important, especially the ones which can be related to more than one theme :smile:
Original post by SLBOR
Instead of practising essays, spend ten minutes every night on a paragraph. Then build up your essay over the week.
Original post by cecilia.adekoya
thank you, this is really helpful
I've also found AQA past paper questions on Death of a Salesman (attached). They are from the old specification and haven't got much to with tragedy, but these are the types of things they might ask about in relation to tragedy, like "How important are dreams?" which means you can formulate some questions in you exam's style from these.
Original post by 04MR17
I've also found AQA past paper questions on Death of a Salesman (attached). They are from the old specification and haven't got much to with tragedy, but these are the types of things they might ask about in relation to tragedy, like "How important are dreams?" which means you can formulate some questions in you exam's style from these.

thank you, these questions are great :smile:
Original post by lewistodd24
I have some notes and my teacher suggested Keatsian.co.uk which has helped me a lot it goes into symbols and themes and gives you some points for AO5

hEY i would also love some help on Keats
I'm doing the anthology, but apparently it's not part of the exam next year so we're going to redo the entire poetry section again next year 🔫 Anybody have any revision resources for it?
If anyone has any resources on Keats' poetry, please share and message me. THANK YOUUU
Original post by samsun12345
If anyone has any resources on Keats' poetry, please share and message me. THANK YOUUU

Hi! There are TSR's resources on Keats here :parrot:
Original post by bethanylunn1999
heya, I'm doing the same but the great gatsby rather than tess of the d'urbervilles which is ashamed because it is such a brilliant book !! what do you think about Hardys poetry the ballads are just heartbreaking.

Heyy I'm doing exactly the same as you this year!! But I can't find any potential questions except one.. Have you been able to find any?? Also would you mind clarifying what AO4 is?? I'm so stuck :frown:
Original post by CrystalPark
Heyy I'm doing exactly the same as you this year!! But I can't find any potential questions except one.. Have you been able to find any?? Also would you mind clarifying what AO4 is?? I'm so stuck :frown:

AO4 is exploring connections across texts, so for example talking about features of tragedy in a poem/novel/play would do this as you are linking it to other texts in the genre.
Original post by CatusStarbright
AO4 is exploring connections across texts, so for example talking about features of tragedy in a poem/novel/play would do this as you are linking it to other texts in the genre.

Ahh thank you so much!! So would you quote the name of the novel??
Original post by CrystalPark
Ahh thank you so much!! So would you quote the name of the novel??

Hi our teachers have told us that we don't need to reference other texts (although it wouldn't hurt to). We have to link the particular event we are writing about to another within the text to provide a comparison.

For instance, in Othello, when talking about the effect Iago has had upon him, the way his speech has changed is noted; we write about how either he has lost his eloquance, and that this shows his change from order to disorder, or about how later in the play his speech breaks down, dependent upon which scene you are analysing. By comparing how he has changed, you are making a link across the wider text, and fulfilling the criteria of AO4.

Sorry if that was quite wordy, I hope it helps:smile:
Hi Guys,

Is anyone doing aspects of comedy?

I'm doing:
The Importance of being Earnest (Oscar Wilde)
The Taming of the Shrew (Shakespeare)
Emma (Jane Austen)
John Betjeman for poetry
How did Fridays exam go?? I personally thought the othello extract was alright but Death of a salesman was a push for time !!
Original post by bethanylunn1999
How did Fridays exam go?? I personally thought the othello extract was alright but Death of a salesman was a push for time !!

Othello was good and DoaS was alright. There was a lot of potential scope and I had to choose what to put in carefully, as I could have written forever, but obviously there was a time constraint.
Reply 78
Can anyone help me find the AQA AS ENGLISH LITERATURE A (NEW SPEC) thread???
How did everyone find the exam on friday? The Othello and Death of a Salesman one

Latest

Trending

Trending