The Student Room Group

I got fired from my part time job. Is this right?

So I was over the moon when I got my first part time job. I'm 15. My gran helped me get the job as she works for the man who was my boss. He owns many shops in the town where I was working. I was told to go in on the Monday there and a girl i knew from school helped me out. I had great fun that day woking in the sweet shop, serving customers and learning how to scoop the ice cream and using the till. Of course I made a few mistakes on the till like overringing it and entering a wrong amount but it was my first ever day of my first ever job. SO the next day I was down the street with my friends getting lunch and went in to see my gran. she wanted to talk to me privately and she was really sad that she had to tell me this but she said it wasnt going to work out with my job. She couldnt believe it either but apprantely the reason why I was fired was because I was standing with my hands in my apron pocket. And to be fair that is true but there were no customers in the shop at the time, and when they came in my hands were out and i was ready to serve. I feel very offended that they would do this to me at my age and its kind of ruined my confidence now. I need your opinion. I'm also offended because the girl who i was working with was standing with her hands in her pockets all day and she was on her phone most of the time too and she didnt get into any trouble at all. I think she was the one who lied and said i was really bad. She likes the shop to herself, hates competition. Do you think this is fair to be fired on my first day?? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Try not to take it personally. You were on trial and he decided not to take you. You could always write him a letter asking for a second chance. Other than that i wuld just move on as its normal to have such disappointments. You just have to get on with things. Start looking for other jobs.
Reply 2
The best course of action may be to ask you Gran to tell the boss how you feel about the situation seeing as she has some kind of relationship with him. In addition, I would recommend that you write a letter as 999tigger suggested, as face-to-face you may get upset about the situation and say something you might regret later on. In the letter you could say that, in future, nothing of the kind would happen again, you realise why having your hands in your pockets may come across as lazy, and that you are very motivated to prove that you would be a valuable employee.

If there is still nothing that can be done then it would be time to move on and look elsewhere.

Out of interest, were you given a contract?
Reply 3
Original post by pdotseen
The best course of action may be to ask you Gran to tell the boss how you feel about the situation seeing as she has some kind of relationship with him. In addition, I would recommend that you write a letter as 999tigger suggested, as face-to-face you may get upset about the situation and say something you might regret later on. In the letter you could say that, in future, nothing of the kind would happen again, you realise why having your hands in your pockets may come across as lazy, and that you are very motivated to prove that you would be a valuable employee.

If there is still nothing that can be done then it would be time to move on and look elsewhere.

Out of interest, were you given a contract?

Thank you both for your replies. I do not want to work for them ever again after this but I would love to tell them how I feel about the situation. Thanks for your advice.
Reply 4
And no contract was given. I wasnt told where to go, what to do, who to talk to. He runs a shady business and makes kids work more than their legal number of hours.
write it off and move on, it's not unusual to not be taken on after a trial shift, he might have changed his mind/simply not liked you and didn't want to say that to your gran so came up with an excuse

you shouldn't write them a letter to say how you feel, especially if you don't even want to go back and work there

you should, however, be paid for that shift and if you haven't been you should ask for your money
Original post by McFarlane
Thank you both for your replies. I do not want to work for them ever again after this but I would love to tell them how I feel about the situation. Thanks for your advice.

This would be pointless and would just confirm to the boss that he was right to get rid of you, unless handled very diplomatically. Move on. It will be easier to get a job when you are 16.
Original post by McFarlane
I wouldn't say anything because someday you may want them to give you a good reference.
If I was buying sweets I wouldnt want a 15 year old kid serving me
Original post by emobambam
I wouldn't say anything because someday you may want them to give you a good reference.

Why would anybody request a reference from a place that they did a trial shift at for one day and then never got hired? Lol obviously nobody puts this on their cv.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending