The Student Room Group

What accent do you speak with?

Scroll to see replies

I've been trying to mask my Brummie accent with a London/bbc one for quite a while now...unsuccessfully :colondollar:
Original post by Ethereal World
The sexiest and nicest accent in all the land.

Spoiler

You're french accent is pretty appalling tbh

Spoiler

Original post by Happy97
I've been trying to mask my Brummie accent with a London/bbc one for quite a while now...unsuccessfully :colondollar:

No don't do that! Brummie accents are awesome.
Reply 283
Original post by Rhythmical
No worries. There is two variants - Standard and Formal.

ok and how do they differ? (risking sounding stupid but FTP)
RP although apparently I have a hint of a Somerset accent. Not sure how, I've never lived there but hey ho.
Who speaks with a northern accent here? They're my favourite.
Original post by djac99
ok and how do they differ? (risking sounding stupid but FTP)

Formal is more your BBC news readers and Royal family members. Standard is less refined, as in it doesn't sound as forced or posh.
Geordie
Original post by Happy97
Who speaks with a northern accent here? They're my favourite.

Geordie
Standard American accent (Northeast, not Boston or Brooklyn), but I say y'all a lot and pick up different quirks quite frequently. Hanging out with Southerners or binge-watching Friday Night Lights left me with a slightly higher voice for a while. Staying with a friend left me with her interesting accent and affectations. I'll probably end up sounding decently Scottish by the end of uni.
Original post by TSR USER 2016
Geordie

Cool :cool:

Yorkshire anyone? How about Scouse?
I'm from Bournemouth in the south of England and according to my friends up North (no, it's not north, but to us down here everywhere is north), like in Manchester, they all say I sound posh, even though I use chav slang all the time. I come out with expressions of all accents but my main accent is just standard English, with a twang of Australian (family), dunno what else. You'd have to hear it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eastern European accent :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 293
Original post by Rhythmical
Formal is more your BBC news readers and Royal family members. Standard is less refined, as in it doesn't sound as forced or posh.

thanks again :wink:
Original post by djac99
thanks again :wink:

You are welcome.
Essex accent??
Original post by Happy97
Cool :cool:

Yorkshire anyone? How about Scouse?

I've got a scouse accent lol
Original post by Foo.mp3
Semi-urban, London* :cool:

No :naughty: it's very posh and what even is a London accent ?
I speak with a really Northern Cumbrian accent. I sound a bit Manc too apparently to some people which is just weird. I always say 'mate' at the end of things
Original post by Foo.mp3
Hehe, who told you that? To be fair it has improved, over time e.g. the more we've talked, but it's funny when we haven't spoken for a while to hear the street come back into your accent/you forget to speak your best with me! :mmm:

Anything from old skool cockney through to East London Asian-G and South London "Jamaican patois" (Starkey, 2011)

Quite a few,apparently I sound like a white girl and they dont think I sound ethnic in any way :dontknow:

I always speak properly with you,it's only when I've watched easterners when I'm Abit influenced but generally speaking I've always spoken in a soft,neutral/posh tone of voice,just a plain southern accent

Quick Reply

Latest