The Student Room Group

Did I make the right choice?

Hello,
I'm moving to the UK in September to pursue a Master's programme (English Literature). I've offer letters from University of Edinburgh, Trinity College (Dublin), University of Warwick, University of Leeds, University of Exeter, and SOAS. I've rejected all but University of Edinburgh and have decided on completing the programme there. Recently, a friend of mine told me that I made the wrong decision and should have opted for Trinity College instead. Although I am going to Edinburgh but I want to get a second opinion on my decision.

Thank You. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Socialnerd1994
Hello,
I'm moving to the UK in September to pursue a Master's programme (English Literature). I've offer letters from University of Edinburgh, Trinity College (Dublin), University of Warwick, University of Leeds, University of Exeter, and SOAS. I've rejected all but University of Edinburgh and have decided on completing the programme there. Recently, a friend of mine told me that I made the wrong decision and should have opted for Trinity College instead. Although I am going to Edinburgh but I want to get a second opinion on my decision.

Congratulations on your offers. All of those are impressive, reputable English departments. Did your friend give you any detailed reasons? There is no hard and fast rule that one of the master's in English at Edinburgh and the master's in English at Trinity Dublin is 'better' than the other. It depends on what your interests are, what your strengths are and what you intend to do after the course. If the course content and organisation at Edinburgh seems closer to your interests and strengths and Edinburgh has more people in the department that you want to work with then you probably made the right choice.

But even supposing that choosing Trinity would've been narrowly better, both have good reputations and so it's unlikely that you've made a disastrous choice in choosing Edinburgh. This was a choice between a number of good options, not one good option and a bunch of options which would secretly be awful.
Original post by QHF
Congratulations on your offers. All of those are impressive, reputable English departments. Did your friend give you any detailed reasons? There is no hard and fast rule that one of the master's in English at Edinburgh and the master's in English at Trinity Dublin is 'better' than the other. It depends on what your interests are, what your strengths are and what you intend to do after the course. If the course content and organisation at Edinburgh seems closer to your interests and strengths and Edinburgh has more people in the department that you want to work with then you probably made the right choice.

But even supposing that choosing Trinity would've been narrowly better, both have good reputations and so it's unlikely that you've made a disastrous choice in choosing Edinburgh. This was a choice between a number of good options, not one good option and a bunch of options which would secretly be awful.

Thank you. :smile: Actually, I've been going through the syllabi. The course at Edinburgh and Warwick is the best for me as they are in accordance with my forthcoming endeavours. Amongst the two, I'm choosing the former based on International ranking and reputation.

Thank you for your comment. I was hoping to get a response from someone who could shed some light on it. Over the past week, I've thought about it a lot and mustered data to convince myself that I made the right decision.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply