The Student Room Group

Boaty McBoatface Vs RRS Sir David Attenborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory
Why not simply RRS Attenborough?

Because it doesnt identify him well enough.

Cant believe all the sulking. Its a fitting to name it after someone who has done more than any other to educate us about wildlife and the environment.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only thing that slightly bugs me about it is that they'll now name the on board submarine Boaty. But that's a yellow submarine. They had the whole world of Beatles puns open to them!

Why not simply RRS Attenborough?

Why name a boat after the guy in Jurassic Park?

...that's why.
Original post by 999tigger
Because it doesnt identify him well enough.
As opposed to HMS Cromwell (Thomas or Oliver?), HMS Queen Elizabeth (I or II?), HMS Churchill (John or Winston?)?

I am afraid naming ships for precision rather than art is a rather ugly American import.

Can we at least agree that "Sir" isn't necessary?
As opposed to HMS Cromwell (Thomas or Oliver?), HMS Queen Elizabeth (I or II?), HMS Churchill (John or Winston?)?

I am afraid naming ships for precision rather than art is a rather ugly American import.

Can we at least agree that "Sir" isn't necessary?

Heh@ Snobby McSnobface. Go and moan to the NERC if you arent happy.
Original post by Captain Jack

"Please don't kill me"

:moon:

:cry2:
Original post by 999tigger
Heh@ Snobby McSnobface.

Don't give up the day job.
Original post by Slowbro93
This made me laugh a lot more than is should have!

Swim Boaty Mcboatface!! Swim like the wind! Escape the evil people!
Swim Boaty Mcboatface!! Swim like the wind! Escape the evil people!

Jack, please stop, I'm trying to not laugh in my office! :rofl: :rofl:
Respect the polar research ship. It is a wonder of scientific achievement, not something for your cheap giggles. I want all of you who want to so seriously undermine the ship with that stupid name to go survive a week operating it, in polar conditions. Do that and come back and tell me about how much of a joke it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
huge missed opportunity to get more people engaged with science and the environment, not to mention the potentail licensing revenue of a Boaty McBoatface cartoon, cuddly toy, t-shirts etc.
Original post by Paulwyn
huge missed opportunity to get more people engaged with science and the environment, not to mention the potentail licensing revenue of a Boaty McBoatface cartoon, cuddly toy, t-shirts etc.

Getting people engaged with science is vastly different to getting people to bastardise it
Original post by LibertyMan
Getting people engaged with science is vastly different to getting people to bastardise it

not sure this would be bastardising it, have you ever been to Science Museum Lates? The combination of science, lighthearted fun and admittedly lashings of wine start to make science more accessible to a wider audience.

We have a challenge in the UK to get more children involved in STEM subjects and Boaty used in the right way could have helped there.
Honestly I'm happy with this. Whilst it would've been nice to have an RRS Boaty McBoatface, the RRS David Attenborough was always my second choice. NERC has actually honoured the poll by naming the submersible craft Boaty McBoatface which I'm pleasantly surprised by, I honestly thought they'd just completely snub the poll and name it after an Arctic explorer. So I'm happy!

...maybe one day I'll be able to go on it!

"Please don't kill me"

This almost made my cry!
Original post by LibertyMan
Respect the polar research ship. It is a wonder of scientific achievement, not something for your cheap giggles. I want all of you who want to so seriously undermine the ship with that stupid name to go survive a week operating it, in polar conditions. Do that and come back and tell me about how much of a joke it is.

As a current scientist and someone who's very big for public engagement, I don't think that people are seeing this as a joke but something that got people to talk. As scientists, we're never that great in getting the public to talk about our work :tongue:

"... but I loved you so much"
^ if you squint, it looks like the boat is also on fire which adds to its growing list of problems
Very disappointed they went with David, as much as I love him. At least the submarine is called Boaty McBoatface :-)
Boaty McFloaty flows a lot better.
Original post by Paulwyn

I think this is a very good point!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending