The Student Room Group

What is the difference between Encapsulation and Laminating?

I have no idea where to put this because TSR doesn't have a product design or DT section so apologies if this is in the wrong bit lol.
anyway can anyone clarify what the difference is between these two processes?
The only difference i can see is that encapsulation extends beyond the border of the paper where as laminating doesn't? can someone please check that (bearing in mind we self taught this bit lol)
Original post by CoolCavy
I have no idea where to put this because TSR doesn't have a product design or DT section so apologies if this is in the wrong bit lol.
anyway can anyone clarify what the difference is between these two processes?
The only difference i can see is that encapsulation extends beyond the border of the paper where as laminating doesn't? can someone please check that (bearing in mind we self taught this bit lol)

Sp one is coating the surface and the other is more encasing it.

Lamination
With Lamination a matt or gloss film is applied to enhance and protect the printed piece. Lamination strengthen the surface. Most Restaurant Table menus and Business cards are matt laminated. Good thing about lamination is that it is hardly noticeable yet it protect the paper from getting wet and dirty.

Encapsulation
Most people wrongly say Lamination when they actually mean encapsulation. Encapsulation leaves a transparent plastic border around the sheet. This is more robust than lamination but not ideal for business cards and some menus.
Original post by 999tigger
Sp one is coating the surface and the other is more encasing it.

Thank you so much :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending