The Student Room Group

estrangement

My grandson is applying for a student loan from this September. He is estranged from his mother,lives with us yet SLE require her financial and other personal details.

What happens if she refuses to provide them. He can only manage to go to uni if he qualifies for a full loan for the year(s) He has been with us for most of his life but went back to try again with her in 2012 it didn't work and he came back to us in December 2012.

it seems inordinately unfair (and possibly infringes his rights to privacy under HR legislation in being forced to make contact with her as a result of UK legislation, to put him through the stress of dealing with his mother when he did not want her to know his life choices) when he is trying to get on with his life

Any advice is gratefully received.
Original post by fm55
My grandson is applying for a student loan from this September. He is estranged from his mother,lives with us yet SLE require her financial and other personal details.

What happens if she refuses to provide them. He can only manage to go to uni if he qualifies for a full loan for the year(s) He has been with us for most of his life but went back to try again with her in 2012 it didn't work and he came back to us in December 2012.

it seems inordinately unfair (and possibly infringes his rights to privacy under HR legislation in being forced to make contact with her as a result of UK legislation, to put him through the stress of dealing with his mother when he did not want her to know his life choices) when he is trying to get on with his life

Any advice is gratefully received.

As he's been apart from his mum for over a year and presuming he hasnt contacted her for that period of time, it should be that he qualifies for estrangment and therefore would be assessed on his own income.
There are various kinds of evidence he could provide for this, page 4 of this guide should help
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/2568/sfe_independent_student_fs_1516_d.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
As he's been apart from his mum for over a year and presuming he hasnt contacted her for that period of time, it should be that he qualifies for estrangment and therefore would be assessed on his own income.
There are various kinds of evidence he could provide for this, page 4 of this guide should help
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/2568/sfe_independent_student_fs_1516_d.pdf

Claire... Thank you so much for this advice. it certainly gives us more options if needed.

Fm55
Original post by fm55
Claire... Thank you so much for this advice. it certainly gives us more options if needed.

Fm55

Glad to help, i hope your grandson gets his student finance sorted with as little stress as possible :smile:
Hi there.

There will have been options on the application where he could have informed us he was estranged and would have been asked for evidence of this, we would not expect him to make contact with parents and would not ask him to do so either.

He would need to send in evidence of the estrangement, which is normally a letter from a person of good standing who is aware of the situation i.e, Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, Police Officer, etc who can explain the situation.

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

There will have been options on the application where he could have informed us he was estranged and would have been asked for evidence of this, we would not expect him to make contact with parents and would not ask him to do so either.

He would need to send in evidence of the estrangement, which is normally a letter from a person of good standing who is aware of the situation i.e, Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, Police Officer, etc who can explain the situation.

Thanks

Thank you for this... we are reviewing the situation. I appreciate those who have helped on the forum.

I shall close the post. now

mike F

Quick Reply

Latest