The Student Room Group

Why are indians doing so much better than other minorities?

While those of Indian origin, for instance, get 8% of their income from the state in the form of benefits, state pension and tax credits, those describing their ethnicity as Pakistani or Bangladeshi receive 29% of their income in various forms of state aid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/11/work_benefits_and_ethnicity.html

The report is from a few years ago but it's only gotten worse since then.

Why are indians doing so well compared to these other groups and what can be done to get them off benefits and into work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Erebor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/11/work_benefits_and_ethnicity.html

Why are indians doing so well compared to these other groups and what can be done to get them off benefits and into work?

Hello Cleverclogs, that article was 2014.
Reply 2
Just waiting for this to turn into an India v Pakistan thread :colone:

:lol:
*Grabbing popcorn for India vs Pakistan argument.

Mainly because Indians are just amazing tbh :u: And all that curry and samosas keep us going.

How to get people off benefits- Threaten to give them a one way ticket to Bangladesh/Pakistan unless they find a job :colone:
Reply 4
Original post by HOLA255
Hello Cleverclogs, that article was 2014.

It's very much a current issue. Nothing has changed, if anything it's only gotten worse and there's no sign the trend anything will get better anytime soon. Why do you think some minorities do so much better than others, especially in this case when they are from the same part of the world?:frown:
"indians vs pakistanis" on a site like TSR?

Original post by nucdev
Just waiting for this to turn into an India v Pakistan thread

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
*Grabbing popcorn for India vs Pakistan argument.

PRSOMs

I'm getting my popcorn ready too :lol:

Reply 7
Original post by Erebor
It's very much a current issue. Nothing has changed, if anything it's only gotten worse and there's no sign the trend anything will get better anytime soon. Why do you think some minorities do so much better than others, especially in this case when they are from the same part of the world?:frown:

Whats your source for 2016?
LOL, comparing which one of the minorities claim more in benefits as a judge of which minority is better is like comparing two strikers on which one receives more red cards.
Original post by Erebor

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Zargabaath
PRSOMs

I'm getting my popcorn ready too :lol:

I'm going Desi - I've got my papad and papdi ready :rofl:
Reply 11
Original post by BubbleBoobies
"indians vs pakistanis" on a site like TSR?

Are you obsessed with race, my dear?
Reply 12
This is going to be messy lol. In North America, Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Japanese are considered "model minorities" along with some African immigrants namely Nigerians
Original post by nucdev
I'm going Desi - I've got my papad and papdi ready :rofl:

loool get the bhajia out :rofl:
Reply 14
Original post by Zargabaath
loool get the bhajia out :rofl:

Or East African Gujju style - the fried mogo chips are ready :lol:
Original post by nucdev
Or East African Gujju style - the fried mogo chips are ready :lol:

fml i'm hungry now :lol:
Original post by Erebor

Immigrants from that area of Asia (Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc) tend to do well because they make the effort to integrate and have a very strong work ethic instilled in them from a young age. Personally, I think the reason why some of these other groups don't do so well is because they are more prone to cling to their home cultures and refuse to integrate. Without a firm grip on our language and our culture, people won't be as successful.
Reply 17
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Immigrants from that area of Asia (Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc) tend to do well because they make the effort to integrate and have a very strong work ethic instilled in them from a young age. Personally, I think the reason why some of these other groups don't do so well is because they are more prone to cling to their home cultures and refuse to integrate. Without a firm grip on our language and our culture, people won't be as successful.

Hit the nail right on the head here
Reply 18
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek

Although Pakistan and Bangladesh are in virtually the same area of Asia as India is. In fact, they are both closer to India than they are to China, Korea, Japan.
Reply 19
Original post by nucdev
Although Pakistan and Bangladesh are in virtually the same area of Asia as India is. In fact, they are both closer to India than they are to China, Korea, Japan.

he was trying to be politically correct

Latest

Trending

Trending