The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
I would never be able to get tickets anyway, regardless of me going to every EL home match this season, but us having 10,000 tickets for the final is a farce. Both sides deserve more.

FFS, UEFA. Play the match in a bigger, better, more suited arena. Their decision making in matters like this is a farce considering how many corporate tickets get shifted, but Basel is just ridiculous. A 38,000 seater stadium ffs. This match deserves to be played in an arena bigger than 50,000 imho.

This shows the status of this competition in comparison to the champions league. 10,000 tickets in total for both teams? that is really a farce. Who should look at the match? VIPs? as if they are really interest in it ...
Original post by Kallisto
This shows the status of this competition in comparison to the champions league. 10,000 tickets in total for both teams? that is really a farce. Who should look at the match? VIPs? as if they are really interest in it ...

Sports governing bodies are always notoriously bad at things like this - but this really takes the biscuit.
Can anyone see a line-up any different from last night for the EL final?
Also for those saying Sturridge doesn't care/has bad body language - did you see his reaction for his goal? You could tell how much it meant to him!
Original post by Zerforax
Can anyone see a line-up any different from last night for the EL final?

Pretty much the same, could have Origi and Henderson on the bench dependings on how their fitness is.

I was wrong about Can and Milner not working but playing a 4-2-3-1 helped alot as Villareals 4-4-2 were outnumbered in midfield coupled with our intense pressing. Anyone know how Sevilla play?
(edited 7 years ago)
I doubt UEFA will appreciate Klopp's comments regarding the final, which seemed to be along the lines of "don't have a ticket? **** it lads. Come to Basel anyway!"
Reply 7206
The pressing last night was sensational, they simply couldnt get out their own half.

Lovren has proved all his doubters wrong and is finally playing like that player i remember seeing at southampton, not a single thing got past him.

Firmino had one of his best games in a while, absolutely deadly.

I actually thought Sturridge was pretty poor, particularly his decision making, but he got a goal and technically 2 assists too (even though they were both failed shots!) so cant complain too much. Hes still behind kane and vardy in the england pecking order atm imo, but its only a matter of time before he gets back to his best.

If only the final was a week later, i would have finished my exams and would be heading out to switzerland.
Original post by samir12
Pretty much the same, could have Origi and Henderson on the bench dependings on how their fitness is.

I was wrong about Can and Milner not working but playing a 4-2-3-1 helped alot as Villareals 4-4-2 were outnumbered in midfield coupled with our intense pressing. Anyone know how Sevilla play?

I wouldn't rush anyone back into the first XI unless they were fully fit a week before the final.

Villarreal's tactic of two up front to look for the away goal just did not work. They couldn't hold the ball or get involved at all which just meant the other outfield 8 players were doing the work of 10. I was surprised how little Villarreal tried to press Can/Milner in the midfield - pretty much gave them free reign. They should've taken off Soldado at halftime and bought in another midfield player to help them out.

Maybe we need to ask Vae about Seville..

Original post by Mackay
I doubt UEFA will appreciate Klopp's comments regarding the final, which seemed to be along the lines of "don't have a ticket? **** it lads. Come to Basel anyway!"

Haha probably not!
Original post by cBay
The pressing last night was sensational, they simply couldnt get out their own half.

Firmino had one of his best games in a while, absolutely deadly.

Firmino was at the centre of everything. I thought he was a man possessed - and that turn was just phenomenal. He was harassing and harrying constantly, and we needed that, because Coutinho had a slightly oddly under-par performance. Well, it wasn't really under-par, but it was quieter than Firmino's and Lallana's. Maybe that's because of his illness from the weekend.
Reply 7209
Original post by AR_95
No **** sherlock

Just found it funny an Arsenal fan talking about relevance.

When were Arsenal last relevant in the running for the title?
Original post by Mackay
Sports governing bodies are always notoriously bad at things like this - but this really takes the biscuit.

I agree with you. Football becomes a business throughoutly and the fans play a little role in it by now. As if they are a part of this sports, but no more anylonger. 10.000 fans in total, that is a minority in Basel, I can't understand it! **** commercial football!
Only two Europa League finals have been played at capacities less than 45,000.

St Jakob Park as a venue really does take the piss.
Original post by Mackay
Only two Europa League finals have been played at capacities less than 45,000.

St Jakob Park as a venue really does take the piss.

It's actually embarrassing for the final of a European competition.

Is it a statement that the EL is inferior to the CL, or did they just not think it through/bribery?
Reply 7213
coz they found out it was liverpool in the final
Original post by Lúcio

Is it a statement that the EL is inferior to the CL, or did they just not think it through/bribery?

The former for sure.

I'd be amazed if this happens again. The EL has enjoyed quite the resurgence this season.
Original post by Lúcio
It's actually embarrassing for the final of a European competition.

why would that need a statement
Reply 7216
I suspect we'll see at least 8 or 9 changes on Sunday with Benteke probably starting, then full strength again against Chelsea on Wednesday.
Original post by Mackay
The former for sure.

I'd be amazed if this happens again. The EL has enjoyed quite the resurgence this season.

I agree - with teams such as Liverpool, Dortmund and United in there, it has arguably gotten more exposure than the CL at times.

I think this season has showed that it can be a great competition if teams put the time and effort in to it. Up until now, many British teams barely bothered because they didn't feel it was worth the effort. The fact remains that if we win the EL this season, in a single we'll have eclipsed all those years of Arsenal being in the CL.

Yeah the prestige of the CL is important but it only goes so far when you struggly through the group stage and get dumped out of the QFs every season. Trophies are there to be won - if you can't win the CL in as many years as Arsenal have been in it, maybe you should have a think about why.

Original post by difeo
why would that need a statement

To remind fans/players that the CL is the competition to be in.
Original post by Lúcio

To remind fans/players that the CL is the competition to be in.

no one's in any doubt about that
Original post by cBay
I suspect we'll see at least 8 or 9 changes on Sunday with Benteke probably starting, then full strength again against Chelsea on Wednesday.

I'd be looking to play a decent side against Chelsea, and next weekend, to give the first choice players game time and keep them sharp and fresh. We don't need a situation where we are resting players and they are getting rusty, like before the CL final in 2007.

Latest