The Student Room Group

Aqa accounting unit 1 quick question

The trial balance is a list of balances of accounts in the nominal ledger.
When you have a credit transaction. e.g sell goods on credit to a customer, in context to the ledgers you would open the customer's a/c in the sale ledger and post the amount and for the nominal ledger, post the amount in the sales a/c. This is where my confusion is- there's is no trade receivable a/c in the nominal ledger so why do i see trade receivable balances (and trade payable's) in the trial balance?

NOTE: i've missed debit and credit entries- I just want to know why the trade receivables/payables balances appear on the trial balance if there are none of these a/cs in the nominal ledger (or if there are, why?).

Thanks.
Original post by newfanta123
The trial balance is a list of balances of accounts in the nominal ledger.
When you have a credit transaction. e.g sell goods on credit to a customer, in context to the ledgers you would open the customer's a/c in the sale ledger and post the amount and for the nominal ledger, post the amount in the sales a/c. This is where my confusion is- there's is no trade receivable a/c in the nominal ledger so why do i see trade receivable balances (and trade payable's) in the trial balance?

NOTE: i've missed debit and credit entries- I just want to know why the trade receivables/payables balances appear on the trial balance if there are none of these a/cs in the nominal ledger (or if there are, why?).

Thanks.

I'm also studying accounting and have the exam on tuesday :frown: and I had the same problem as you but what you need to know is that those customers A/C's are within the trade receivables ledger therefore the customers a/cs going onto trade receivables and will appear on the trial balance.
Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest