The Student Room Group

OCR Latin AS 2015

Scroll to see replies

Can you remember the cicero and ovid exam content?!
Can anyone rmember the content of the latin literature exam?!
can anyone remember what the 10 markers were for ovid and cicero?
Reply 43
I'm so worried about my AS Latin Language in 9 days - has anyone got any advice? I usually get Cs when I do class past papers and things, so I'm concerned, I really need an A!!
Original post by Lozza98
I'm so worried about my AS Latin Language in 9 days - has anyone got any advice? I usually get Cs when I do class past papers and things, so I'm concerned, I really need an A!!

My tutor suggested translating some Cicero to familiarise yourself with his style. Translating texts in general is good in my opinion, to get used to translating quickly and efficiently. I would also revise your vocabulary as much as you are able in the short time available. OCR has a vocabulary list on their website which should give any vocabulary they can use.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-classics-latin-h039-h439/

Otherwise, just do as many past papers and look at as many examiner reports/mark schemes as possible. They are the best way to revise.

Wishing you luck next week!
(edited 7 years ago)
Literature 10s - Ovid was about Pentheus deserving his fate. Cicero was about how he does he make clear Pompey deserves to be put in charge. Nice trans section, 37 for Cicero and "He amusing himself, as though he has only just now seen the fraud.. etc." for Ovid. I reckon this year will be ends for both but who knows... language tomorrow... SO NERVOUS!
Reply 46
Original post by PaperMagnet
Literature 10s - Ovid was about Pentheus deserving his fate. Cicero was about how he does he make clear Pompey deserves to be put in charge. Nice trans section, 37 for Cicero and "He amusing himself, as though he has only just now seen the fraud.. etc." for Ovid. I reckon this year will be ends for both but who knows... language tomorrow... SO NERVOUS!

Not as nervous as me. It's really important to me that I do well. I feel like I have so much pressure to do well, and I really really want to do so and get an A. Universities all want AAA for what I want to do (Vet Med) so I'm desperate to not have to redo the year 😭😭 Good luck
Reply 47
Original post by fablereader
My tutor suggested translating some Cicero to familiarise yourself with his style. Translating texts in general is good in my opinion, to get used to translating quickly and efficiently. I would also revise your vocabulary as much as you are able in the short time available. OCR has a vocabulary list on their website which should give any vocabulary they can use.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-classics-latin-h039-h439/

Otherwise, just do as many past papers and look at as many examiner reports/mark schemes as possible. They are the best way to revise.

Wishing you luck next week!

Thank you for your advice, I've really revised up on my vocabulary. I'm still incredibly nervous and feeling the pressure as I need an A and don't believe I can get one but, gonna try my best and that's all I can do I suppose.
How did you find the AS language paper today? I actually thought the paper wasn't too bad in comparison to last years!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Found it ok, wasn't sure about the last sentence in question two
Original post by M101m
Found it ok, wasn't sure about the last sentence in question two

How can i found out the grade boundaries? Or do i have to wait till results day?
And when is results day btw guys?
Original post by stripedbox
How can i found out the grade boundaries? Or do i have to wait till results day?
And when is results day btw guys?

Last year's boundaries was 80% for an A. The boundaries for this year will be released a few days before results day which should be around 2/3rd week in August
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Last year's boundaries was 80% for an A. The boundaries for this year will be released a few days before results day which should be around 2/3rd week in August

thanks. 80% across the two papers?
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
How did you find the AS language paper today? I actually thought the paper wasn't too bad in comparison to last years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it tough :smile:
If i got two sentences wrong in the translation what's the highest I could get out of 70?
Reply 55
If i got two sentences wrong in the translation what's the highest I could get out of 70?

Depends how badly wrong they were. If you just didn't attempt either of them but got everything else right you'd get 60, but it's more likely that you got some of it right so I'd say 64-66/70
Original post by M101m
Depends how badly wrong they were. If you just didn't attempt either of them but got everything else right you'd get 60, but it's more likely that you got some of it right so I'd say 64-66/70

I mixed up the nominatives.. Like in the sentence about how the king's tears were holding him back from speaking,I said the citizens were holding back their tears..
And I think i got the sentence about the Roman cities wrong. What did you put for that?

Hope the examiners mark generously:frown:
Reply 57
I got the cities one wrong too so idk what the right answer was, I wrote something like: many cities were destroyed by the Romans, and the others, with the fear of defeat, were preparing to do the same.

I mixed up the nominatives.. Like in the sentence about how the king's tears were holding him back from speaking,I said the citizens were holding back their tears..
And I think i got the sentence about the Roman cities wrong. What did you put for that?

Hope the examiners mark generously:frown:
Did anyone do the sentences on question 3. If so can you remember what the wording was, especially for the one which included a fearing clause and the one about a wish (began with they hoped). Also all of the other sentences if thats possible.

Also if we could all try and put together a rough translation of the passage from question 1 then that would settle my nerves
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by james..michael
Did anyone do the sentences on question 3. If so can you remember what the wording was, especially for the one which included a fearing clause and the one about a wish (began with they hoped). Also all of the other sentences if thats possible.

Also if we could all try and put together a rough translation of the passage from question 1 then that would settle my nerves

Something like they were hoping that in a few hours the army of the enemy would perish

Even the bravest were asking who could defend the city now

The crowd was so large that many were injured

The feared that the enemy would overpower the guards

Can't remember the first sentence..

Quick Reply

Latest