The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverGrowUp
I already explained what religion is about for me, in my previous reply so I won't repeat it.

it was clearly TL;DR - one of the things about being a good writer is efficiency - you shouldn't ramble to get to a simple point

Your point on logic - you can refer to my previous point again about God being beyond us, I'm sure being a creator of the universe has already surpassed having to be ruled by logic.

logic is reality. if god isn't ruled by reality, then he's not real. simple. for example: what do you call something that is both on and off? or here and not here? these concepts can't exist because they've been defined to not be consistent with the concept of existence. to bring this back to science again, if you define reality in a scientific way, e.g. including scientific laws like gravity, then you are suggesting that this is the way reality is, mathematically. so if you have a law that is broken, you are saying that our reality doesn't exist - but it does exist. so you can't just say "god doesn't have to play by the rules of logic" - that's ridiculous. you can't just avoid rationality like this! this is why I am criticising you! this is real nonsense!

Also, yes i believe in the big bang, in such a way that God caused that to happen. yes, I agree we have come far enough to know about the big bang, yet scientists are unable to conclude why it happened. So for me personally, it's from God.

why do you think that? why wasn't the big bang a sufficient cause whereas god's own actions are, by contrast, sufficient? surely the simplest explanation here is that the big bang was the only thing we can perceive that was uncaused? the big bang was the beginning of space, and seeing as time" is a concept that is based on speed divided by distance (or actions within a medium - space), time also had to have began with the beginning of space. so how can you have a situation "before time" in this sense? how id god have time to create anything without space? you're not thinking about this in logical terms, that's the problem - you are imagining time and space (or the big bang) in these very vague an unclear manners which effectively allow you to make sense of it in literally whatever way you desire - thats stupid - reality isn't based on desires.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
In most cases, wearing the hijab doesn't follow a "wear it or die" kind of threat. It is more likely the result of mild harassement by a relative, eg. "the prophet's wife wore it", "you would be a better Muslim if you had a hijab", "this scholar said that", "you will feel better", etc.

The fact that your mother and friends told you that they find it "liberating" does not mean that they really feel that way. Everybody saying that should try not to wear it at least one day to see the difference; I bet that they will be scorn by someone for having done that - they will thus see how much they are "free" to wear it.

Then converts are also often keen to show that they are not faking their conversion.

I guess we can agree to disagree. While the reaction of scorn and anger may be produced by some communities I don't believe everyone acts in this way. If a woman decides to remove her scarf good Muslims either should provide support for the woman or keep their opinions to herself. This is from my own experience and experience of friends who have decided to not wear a scarf anymore, however it may just be I've been lucky enough to have been born into a loving and accepting community and family.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This doesn't make sense. If God knows the answers in advance then it cannot be a test, no matter what way you look at it. Us humans already see the consequences of our actions because of cause and effect.

Original post by BubbleBoobies
...were you high or did you really think that made sense on a logical level?

Original post by chemting
god is testing us to see the results that supposedly he already knows... I'd say he's just playing with us... we're all just play-dolls for him

Original post by Josb
Normally, if he were really all-knowing, he wouldn't have to test us.

LoI, I make one comment and the clan of atheists are on me.

I mean, I do have great answers to these but I would of course be derailing the thread right? I admit, it was my fault at first for responding.
Original post by Ayahhh
*does
No.
Just no.

I have a broken keyboard - you think I can't spell "does"? you're aiming rather low here in your criticism :lol: especiallyin your "just no" statement as if you can't substantiate your disagreement in any way
Original post by Ayahhh
*does
No.
Just no.

Would you mind explaining how it isn't contradictory?
Original post by champ_mc99

I mean, I do have great answers to these

I very much doubt that, omniscience and testing are logically incompatible.
Reply 146
I have a broken keyboard - you think I can't spell "does"? you're aiming rather low here in your criticism :lol: especiallyin your "just no" statement as if you can't substantiate your disagreement in any way

Noooo it's not that.
I'm not trying to criticise you.
But I believe that it's just wrong and disrespectful to try to pick out "contradictions" in someone's religion.
Original post by Ayahhh
Noooo it's not that.
I'm not trying to criticise you.
But I believe that it's just wrong and disrespectful to try to pick out "contradictions" in someone's religion.

but there *are* contradictions. that's why I take issue with it. I take issue with *all* stupid beliefs, though. screw what I think though, right?
Reply 148
but there *are* contradictions. that's why I take issue with it. I take issue with *all* stupid beliefs, though. screw what I think though, right?

Hmmm why can't you keep your thoughts to yourself?
LoI, I make one comment and the clan of atheists are on me.

I mean, I do have great answers to these but I would of course be derailing the thread right? I admit, it was my fault at first for responding.

You're absolutely right. Apologies. PM me (or us) your great answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

But they are compatible.
Original post by chemting
You're absolutely right. Apologies. PM me your great answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not dodging any confrontations about my beliefs but... PM to just you would mean I would have to do it to the rest. And that's long.
I'm not dodging any confrontations about my beliefs but... PM to just you would mean I would have to do it to the rest. And that's long.

I didn't think you were. You're right about derailing the thread...

Posted from TSR Mobile
But they are compatible.

They're not and no one has been able to show they are.
Reply 154

But how can God judge you without putting you through a test, even is He knows the outcome...
What brought on this topic anyway?
Original post by Ayahhh
But how can God judge you without putting you through a test, even is He knows the outcome...
What brought on this topic anyway?

God could theoretically still judge someone without life being a test.
Reply 156
God could theoretically still judge someone without life being a test.

Judge you according to what?
Shouldn't people be judged according to their actions? Otherwise it would be unfair.
Original post by Hydeman
How was I supposed to know that? :tongue:

What gave you that impression? :h:

I think it's pretty obvious me and cup are besties man. She's my home girl.

Lol you give me that impression it's not hard.
Original post by Ayahhh
Judge you according to what?
Shouldn't people be judged according to their actions? Otherwise it would be unfair.

According to whatever, there are an infinite possibility of gods that could exist, including insane, evil ones who have no real criteria for judgement.

Judging specifically in regards to a test is nonsensical because God already knew your actions before you were born so a test becomes meaningless.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

Such drivel is rarely found. Performing ghusl is obligatory after semen has been released, hence the requirement to purify yourself. It's not because the female. For you information, the full verse is here :

O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wipe your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful.

This purification is for worship.

Latest

Trending

Trending