The Student Room Group

How to spot a racist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
You did say that someone who votes Conservative is racist. That's not really very fair to say. I for one support Labour and I am ecstatic that Sadiq Khan is my new mayor, but you should learn to be a bit more tolerant. Everyone is entitled to their political opinion. Just because someone votes Tory or doesn't like a particular genre of music… doesn't make them racist.

Its all linked though

Original post by Oblivion99
Trust. And when you mentioned "slavery", bang every black person become's hysterical.

Stereotyping...
Original post by Multiculturalism
Its all linked though

Stereotyping...

No. You're stereotyping. This is nonsense.
"Dont like black music or culture"

Yes, because me preferring rock and metal music and not shitty rap and rnb makes me racist. Okay then, chick.
It's not that I don't like the music because the majority of the artists are black, I just don't think the genres sound good in the slightest.

Honestly, you have the most silly ideas of what makes someone a racist. Can I see your list of what makes people a fascist or misogynist too?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
No. You're stereotyping. This is nonsense.

No, I'm not saying all tories are racist, im saying being a tory is a sign that you might be racist
Lets create a guide on how to spot a racist

Here's my contribution

A racist:
-Believes stereotypes
-Tell racist jokes
-Play down slavery like its no big deal. E.g.
----Get over it! It was the times!
----Africans sold their own people as slaves!
----Arab traders sold slaves too!
----Slavery is universal!
----My family never owned slaves!

-They think racism is no longer a big deal (thinking blacks are imagining racism is racist in and of itself since it assumes that blacks have extremely poor judgement
-They are against reparations, affirmative action, etc against any serious, concrete policy to undo the damage done and provide equal opportunity.
-They think blacks are unreasonably angry, have a chip on their shoulders, complain, whine, etc.
-Dont want to mix with other races
-Dont like black music or culture
-Votes Tory/UKIP/BNP
-Gets nervous around Muslims on planes
-Think 'reverse racism' is a problem
-When someone is offended by racism, just says 'its just a joke'
-Think a muslim leader of london is a bad thing "ooh but i heard he supports isis" :facepalm:
-Posts on News and Current affairs forum (thnx @Freudian Slit )
-Reads the Daily Mail (thnx @homeland.lsw )
-Likes Donal Trump (Drumpf)

Add your own clues!

I've bolded the ones i am. Actually the best thread ever on TSR was when for about 12 hours everybody posted the most politically incorrect jokes they knew, it was hilarious. Mods closed it after about 12 hours though which was disappointing.
Also.. am i a racist if i believe we should occupy the Middle East?
No, I'm not saying all tories are racist, im saying being a tory is a sign that you might be racist

That's like saying people that shop at M&S might be murderers???????

Original post by Rakas21
I've bolded the ones i am. Actually the best thread ever on TSR was when for about 12 hours everybody posted the most politically incorrect jokes they knew, it was hilarious. Mods closed it after about 12 hours though which was disappointing.

Perhaps they closed it because it was incredibly offensive?
If you really want to understand racism, you have to understand why it is in the human mind (probably everone has it to some degree or another, which may be very painful to admit). I believe it arose in earlier times, when sticking to 'your gang' and being suspicious of outsiders could be the difference between death and survival. Therefore it was strengthened by evolution, but is a very serious problem in modern times across all human beings.
i voted Conservative, not Tory.
How to spot thin-skinned people who need to grow a pair...
(edited 7 years ago)
Perhaps they closed it because it was incredibly offensive?

It was a joke.

I don't like pop music, doesn't make me bigoted in any way

-Votes Tory
-Posts on News and Current affairs forum

Good ones :facepalm2:

-Reads the Daily Mail

Idiots, but not necessarily racist

-Ignores terrorist attacks in non-western countries

Millions of people do this, doesn't make them racist
Reply 54

Here's my contribution

A racist:
-Believes stereotypes
-Tell racist jokes
-They think racism is no longer a big deal (thinking blacks are imagining racism is racist in and of itself since it assumes that blacks have extremely poor judgement
-They are against reparations, affirmative action, etc against any serious, concrete policy to undo the damage done and provide equal opportunity.
-They think blacks are unreasonably angry, have a chip on their shoulders, complain, whine, etc.
-Votes Tory/UKIP/BNP
-Think a muslim leader of london is a bad thing "ooh but i heard he supports isis" :facepalm:

Add your own clues!

****ing hell the hypocrisy of this, condemning racism while simultaneously laughing at someone because they have (had) a foreign name...
My friend is... so I can't be racist.
the word racist has essentially become a meaningless word as it is banded around so readily to silence anyone on the right
Reply 57

Here's my contribution

A racist:
-Believes stereotypes
-Tell racist jokes
-Votes Tory/UKIP/BNP

Add your own clues!

I am wary as to the seriousness of this but oh well..

-First one is a bit vague. Many stereotypes exist for a reason, the issue is when someone assumes a person will be a certain way because of their race, rather than looking at the person as an individual and judging their character first and foremost.

-Second one is absurd. In general a "racist" joke will be either told purely for shock value, or derive its humour from the fact that racism is bad rather than glorifying it.

-Slavery was a big deal, sure. But suffering is not inherited. The reactionary kinds of comments you've listed are likely in response to unjust claims of victimhood from people who have never experienced slavery.

-While racism has grown less prevalent in many areas, I agree that it is still very much present and an issue of significance.

-Reparations, as I just implied above, are nonsensical, as the victimisation of one's ancestors, whom they never even knew, does not equate to the victimisation of that individual. Affirmative action presupposes that if you are not white you are less capable, which seems pretty racist to me, and indeed seems a better method of increasing racial tension than alleviating it given that it affords certain people advantages based on their skin colour.

-Yep, that's racist, assuming you mean they think that of black people as a group (obviously some individuals are like that, the same as any race..)

-Well yeah, fair enough.

-Someone can easily not like black music or black culture in general and still have no problem with black people, so nah..
edit: although to be fair black music/black culture is a very broad thing, so it is quite difficult to dislike either entirely..

-I would imagine that a disproportionate number of BNP and UKIP supporters (probably not Tory tbh) are racist, but it is, rather ironically, precisely the same brand of illogic that racists employ to assume that someone is racist because of their voting choices.

-Muslims are not a racial group.

-Reverse racism is a stupid term. Formally speaking, racism is believing people of certain races are inferior to people of certain others. If you discriminate against someone based on their being white, it suggests that you believe that this characteristic lowers their worth as a person, which is racist by definition. But I would say that racism is always going to affect the minority races more in any country, so racism against white people in the West is generally less of an issue, yes.

-Well if it was just a joke, then...

-Again, not racism. Muslims are not a racial group.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its all linked though

Stereotyping...

Its called freedom of speech love? Might want to look it up a little before making your illiterate, meaningless threads. Boring me out.
Okay, no.

Quick Reply