The Student Room Group

Medical School- Well that's that

After 2 gap years I've been unsuccessful in obtaining a place in any medical school. I've recently received word from 2 medical schools whom placed me on the waiting list that I've been unsuccessful. Gave it my all in those interviews but i guess that wasn't enough.

Should i give up?
Original post by Roy96
After 2 gap years I've been unsuccessful in obtaining a place in any medical school. I've recently received word from 2 medical schools whom placed me on the waiting list that I've been unsuccessful. Gave it my all in those interviews but i guess that wasn't enough.

Should i give up?

Look I'm only 16, I can't give any useful, experience backed advice. I know a ton of people are going to say "stick to your dreams, don't give up" blah blah blah ********.

If I were in your position, I would personally try to apply for another course. I don't know about your personal situation (financially etc) but I really think that it's best to do something else.

Do you know why you weren't accepted? Grades? BMAT/UKCAT scores? Interview?
Yeah pretty much. There is more to life than being a doctor. Cant waste your life away for a course which is oversubscribed to the max. There are other things you can do
Reply 3
Original post by homeland.lsw
Look I'm only 16, I can't give any useful, experience backed advice. I know a ton of people are going to say "stick to your dreams, don't give up" blah blah blah ********.

If I were in your position, I would personally try to apply for another course. I don't know about your personal situation (financially etc) but I really think that it's best to do something else.

Do you know why you weren't accepted? Grades? BMAT/UKCAT scores? Interview?

my grades are A*AA in maths chem and biology

UKCAT: 675 avg

i've yet to contact them but im guessing its cause there is no more places as i was put on the waiting list after interview
Original post by Roy96
my grades are A*AA in maths chem and biology

UKCAT: 675 avg

i've yet to contact them but im guessing its cause there is no more places as i was put on the waiting list after interview

Where did you apply?
Reply 5
Original post by sachinisgod
Yeah pretty much. There is more to life than being a doctor. Cant waste your life away for a course which is oversubscribed to the max. There are other things you can do

That is what i'm deciding right now but its hard , i've dedicated a lot of time into pursuing this pathway and to find out that it won't work for me is a huge slap in my face.

In total i've been rejected 12 times ( 3 admission cycles) and it is highly unlikely that i will attempt again.

right now i'm so demotivated that i don't even think i should go uni for whatever course
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Where did you apply?

Kings college London
Exeter University
Plymouth University
Kings college London (6 years)
Reply 7
Original post by Roy96
Kings college London
Exeter University
Plymouth University
Kings college London (6 years)

Don't you think there must be something wrong with your application or interview then?
IMPROVE THAT, and your efforts will pay off.

Try again! (if this is what you truly want)

Adversity is supposed to condition you; don't let it drag you down.

I understand the struggle, man. I applied this year for Dentistry! My friends were all rejected too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Get feedback. If it was my dream and I understood how I could improve then I wouldnt give in. Not in my nature.
Original post by Roy96
That is what i'm deciding right now but its hard , i've dedicated a lot of time into pursuing this pathway and to find out that it won't work for me is a huge slap in my face.

In total i've been rejected 12 times ( 3 admission cycles) and it is highly unlikely that i will attempt again.

right now i'm so demotivated that i don't even think i should go uni for whatever course

No. Definitely apply to uni for a different course. Because at the end of the day, your grades are really good, and I'm sure they can get you into a good STEM course.

What about biochemistry or pharmacy?
Reply 10
Original post by spv
Don't you think there must be something wrong with your application or interview then?
IMPROVE THAT, and your efforts will pay off.

Try again! (if this is what you truly want)

Adversity is supposed to condition you; don't let it drag you down.

I understand the struggle, man. I applied this year for Dentistry! My friends were all rejected too!

On March the 31st , i was told that my application was put on hold and that they were waiting for offer holders to reply before 4th of may. I guess there wasn't many places available.

I wasn't even suppose to take a 2nd gap year as it was looked down upon by my friends/teachers/family etc

Lastly good luck with your application, hope you will succeed and don't make the same mistake as i did.
Reply 11
Original post by homeland.lsw
No. Definitely apply to uni for a different course. Because at the end of the day, your grades are really good, and I'm sure they can get you into a good STEM course.

What about biochemistry or pharmacy?

Doing a course that im not passionate about will only make me more depressed but i understand where you are coming from. I will broaden my range but i fear as though in years to come , there might be a slight of regret within me.

i just wish it didn't take me 2 years to discover this now.
Reply 12
Original post by Roy96
On March the 31st , i was told that my application was put on hold and that they were waiting for offer holders to reply before 4th of may. I guess there wasn't many places available.

I wasn't even suppose to take a 2nd gap year as it was looked down upon by my friends/teachers/family etc

Lastly good luck with your application, hope you will succeed and don't make the same mistake as i did.

I know people on their 4th gap year, so if you really want to do it, you'll do it regardless of what anyone thinks or says.
Thank you. I got in this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending