The Student Room Group

BA or LLB Law?

What is the difference between the 2?
I am currently studying the BA, can I still work in Law afterwards? I've come across a lot of people who have said you can't become a solicitor with a BA Law degree.
If it makes any difference, I've studied 6/7 qualifying modules (all but equity and trusts, which wasn't offered on my program)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If you just study the qualifying modules, then you should be fine. Contact the LS/SRA to check with what you need to do. You could also seek to get a transfer onto the LLB. If equity and trusts is all you are missing, then am sureyou will just be able to pay for that.

The LLB is just the standard law degree and will cover everything you need. the BA is mostly law but it might have a few different subjects as well as not including all that is needed for SRA requirements to go on and qualify.Just compare the courses.
law is boring - don't do something just because of the money - money isn't the metric of happiness. happiness is.
Reply 3
Just make sure you get a QLD, then call it a LLB on your resume. Simply as.
Reply 4
@BubbleB - I'm not doing it for the money, let's face it, graduate prospects suck for 60% of students anyway. Law was the only subject I could see myself studying and I actually quite enjoy it.

@Assan - it won't be a QLD because I can't study equity and trusts at uni because it's not offered as a part of the BA course 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
@999tiger - thanks! I just researched that and am feeling so much happier! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Assan
Just make sure you get a QLD, then call it a LLB on your resume. Simply as.

There is no need to lie. Simple.
Original post by SadShark
@999tiger - thanks! I just researched that and am feeling so much happier! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will not make any difference when you apply for jobs as long as you do the missing module. Talk to your uni and maybe ask for a trasnfer onto the LLB or whether you can do the course there.

Make a not confirming this on your CV, just to reassure them.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
law is boring - don't do something just because of the money - money isn't the metric of happiness. happiness is.

I study law and I have found it to be rather interesting.

I have been able to represent a cannibal in a murder trial (a hypothetical trial) and have learnt some really useful and interesting skills.

I guess you can't complain about something unless you try it :h:
Original post by evalilyXOX
I study law and I have found it to be rather interesting.

I have been able to represent a cannibal in a murder trial (a hypothetical trial) and have learnt some really useful and interesting skills.

I guess you can't complain about something unless you try it :h:

I have tried it though
Reply 10
Is it an exempting degree? I imagine it isn't since equity and trusts hasn't been offered. Study of the 7 core modules (criminal, tort, contract, con and ad, EU, equity and land) are specified by the SRA to make a course a qualifying law degree which is required to be able to practice (unless of course you do a non law course and the GDL in which you have to study the 7 core modules anyway). If you want to practice, you may have to take the GDL but I'd advise speaking to a tutor
I have tried it though

Hmm, I guess the course isn't for everyone.

It is definitely something that you have to desire to succeed in, in order to progress to graduation.

You are right though there are some elements that are slightly more dry than others, but the more interesting courses certainly outweigh the boring topics :h:.
Reply 12

That's a subjective opinion. I actually find the law extremely interesting and I'm most certainly not in it for the money. Not all solicitors are paid 6 figure salaries
Original post by Hann95
That's a subjective opinion. I actually find the law extremely interesting and I'm most certainly not in it for the money. Not all solicitors are paid 6 figure salaries

oh yeah? tell me: what do you find interesting about law? be as detailed as possible
Original post by Hann95

Thank you ! Exactly !!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I find law really interesting too !
oh yeah? tell me: what do you find interesting about law? be as detailed as possible

To flip the question back onto you, what do you find so boring about the study of law ?
Reply 16

The history for starters, how the country has evolved and the law with it. The great argument as to whether morals do or should influence the law. Take for example the argument for assisted suicide; some may argue that their morals derive from religion therefore one should not be allowed to take their own life and others should not be allowed to assist. On the other hand, is leaving someone in pain and suffering until their body gives in the right thing to do? Criminal is extremely interesting. Look up the case of R v Brown. I won't lie, the details are gruesome but it's a very interesting case none the less. Turning to tort, I think the reasoning behind restrictions on cases being allowed to be brought against the police and why most aren't successful is quite an interesting area. A module I particularly enjoyed was evidence and the law around what is and isn't admissible during civil and criminal proceedings and why. I've mooted as to whether the criminal justice system should still rely on juries to decide whether someone is guilty enough. The process of arguing and reasoning with an aponent was something I really enjoyed. I have enjoyed picking apart a defence in a mock criminal trial and cross examining witnesses. I could go on and on becaus as you can clearly see, it's a subject of great interest to me.
(edited 7 years ago)

This isn't a debate thread about studying law. :erm: Can you not just accept that some people do love the study of law?
Reply 18
Original post by evalilyXOX
Thank you ! Exactly !!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I find law really interesting too !

Some people love football but I really couldn't think of anything more boring to watch. I don't demand that they explain themselves though...

I find law so boring as well but each to their own. Some people like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending