The Student Room Group

My friend failed because of me, am I a bad person?

About 3 days before coursework deadline submission there was a student party near the uni. My friend and a few others were all invited to it. I had finished my coursework by then but my friend hadn't even started. My friend wanted to go but was in two minds about going to the party rather than do the coursework.

As a friend I feel that I should have stopped him from going to focus on the coursework but instead i had encouraged him to go to the party so he went

He couldn't finish the coursework on time and he failed. Now I feel this is my fault as he won't graduate with me.

Am I a bad person?

Scroll to see replies

No i dont think so. he needs some milk and discipline..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.
Partly, but at the end of the day I wouldn't worry about it. it's your friends fault for not finishing his coursework.
Original post by Anonymous
About 3 days before coursework deadline submission there was a student party near the uni. My friend and a few others were all invited to it. I had finished my coursework by then but my friend hadn't even started. My friend wanted to go but was in two minds about going to the party rather than do the coursework.

As a friend I feel that I should have stopped him from going to focus on the coursework but instead i had encouraged him to go to the party so he went

He couldn't finish the coursework on time and he failed. Now I feel this is my fault as he won't graduate with me.

Am I a bad person?

Your friend is an adult. Its up to them to manage their time and complete required work.

Unless you physically forced them to go (i.e. dragged them there) and stopped them leaving, then its not your responsibility.
Leaving his coursework up to the last few days: His fault
Going to the party: Both of your faults
Not finishing it after the party: His fault
Failing: His fault

If he had got a slightly better grade in the coursework I highly doubt anything would've changed. The fact of the matter is, the type of people that even consider going to parties a few days before deadlines they're already short on time for, are the type of people that don't graduate. I'd never consider going to that party if I had f*cked up that bad by that point.
Reply 6
He's an adult. He knew he had course work, he knew he hadn't started it (which was also his fault. He could have done it earlier, like yourself), and he knew when the deadline was. He still chose to go to the party. It doesn't matter if you encouraged him to go; he had a choice (I mean, unless you held a gun to his head) and he made a bad one. That's on him, not you.

Am I a bad person?

it's not your fault he had no willpower and self control is it?

Intent makes all the difference, you did tell him and hint that they should finish their coursework right?
Reply 8
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Leaving his coursework up to the last few days: His fault
Going to the party: Both of your faults
Not finishing it after the party: His fault
Failing: His fault

If he had got a slightly better grade in the coursework I highly doubt anything would've changed. The fact of the matter is, the type of people that even consider going to parties a few days before deadlines they're already short on time for, are the type of people that don't graduate. I'd never consider going to that party if I had f*cked up that bad by that point.

I agree!
Reply 9
Original post by thefatone
it's not your fault he had no willpower and self control is it?

Intent makes all the difference, you did tell him and hint that they should finish their coursework right?

Original post by ForestCat
Your friend is an adult. Its up to them to manage their time and complete required work.

Unless you physically forced them to go (i.e. dragged them there) and stopped them leaving, then its not your responsibility.

At one point he said he wasn't going to go. But I kept bringing it up saying "you might as well go to mentally prepare yourself for the coursework". So I hadn't physically forced him to go but I had kept reiterating that he should join us.
At one point he said he wasn't going to go. But I kept bringing it up saying "you might as well go to mentally prepare yourself for the coursework". So I hadn't physically forced him to go but I had kept reiterating that he should join us.

He is still capable of saying No.
Not completely. He should have started his coursework earlier to give him enough time to finish it, but I can understand you feeling a little bit guilty because of what has happened. He decided to go to the party and he is to blame, in my opinion.

well then it's not your fault is it?

he needs to learn to do stuff for himself and take the consequences for what he hasn't done.
Honestly imo he's an adult and has to live by his own decisions. You werent a very good friend though.
Btw he must be pretty dumb not to have got his priorities right and miscalclated like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
well then it's not your fault is it?

he needs to learn to do stuff for himself and take the consequences for what he hasn't done.

Am I bad friend though?
Am I bad friend though?

You get a higher grade than his coursework.
Am I bad friend though?

No

well it depends what sort of relationship and how much trust you've built up together....

in most cases you're not the bad friend, i mean you got your own stuff to sort out too, sometimes you don't have time to make other do work too xD

It wasn't completely your fault no. But it was partly, yes. And also yes, in my books that makes you a bad friend.
No

well it depends what sort of relationship and how much trust you've built up together....

in most cases you're not the bad friend, i mean you got your own stuff to sort out too, sometimes you don't have time to make other do work too xD

I think actively persuading someone to go to a party when they say they want to stay and do their coursework is the marks of a bad friend? How is it not?
Nah they shouldn't have
a) left it to the last minute if they knew how important it was in order to graduate
b) given in so easily

You probably shouldn't have encouraged him but in all honesty, it doesn't sound like he needed much convincing and would have probably gone anyway. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending