The Student Room Group

BA or LLB Law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SinsNotTragedies
This isn't a debate thread about studying law. :erm: Can you not just accept that some people do love the study of law?

would you about it, being a former uni law student?
(N)
so how about sticking to topics that you actually know about?
and by the way, I'm seriously getting the vibe that you're deliberately finding my stats to see where I've posted and then slinging mud at me because of your little situation yesterday - you can hold a grudge, that's fine - I don't care.
Reply 21
Original post by BubbleBoobies
(N)
and by the way, I'm seriously getting the vibe that you're deliberately finding my stats to see where I've posted and then slinging mud at me because of your little situation yesterday - you can hold a grudge, that's fine - I don't care.

I think you need to calm down a little. This was a thread asking whether the person was on the right degree for their career choice. They didn't ask to be put down about their career choice, and although I gave you a very solid answer (which you didn't respond to) believe or not, people do not have to justify reasons for liking something you don't. I don't like mushrooms but I don't grill every person I come across that does.
(N)

You don't speak for everyone about law. I know several very happy law students, some people just find law interesting. I don't know how you're going to disprove that. :lol:
Your first post on this thread was unnecessary. OP wasn't asking about whether they should do law or not, therefore your post was irrelevant and bitter.

Spoiler

Original post by Hann95
Some people love football but I really couldn't think of anything more boring to watch. I don't demand that they explain themselves though...

exactly ! I mean every degree will contain topics that are considered more boring than others, but to class the whole degree as boring is a bit harsh.

At the same time, I do respect that people have the entitlement to different opinions and views, and should not be put on the spot to explain 'in detail' why they dislike or like something
You don't speak for everyone about law. I know several very happy law students, some people just find law interesting. I don't know how you're going to disprove that. :lol:
Your first post on this thread was unnecessary. OP wasn't asking about whether they should do law or not, therefore your post was irrelevant and bitter.

Spoiler

get a load of you - telling me off yesterday for being insulting/aggressive, and then you have the nerve to say "don't flatter yourself sweety" as if that's not exactly the same thing :lol: - you're hilarious, aren't you? here's somebody who I can take seriously - somebody who commits the sin that they're preaching against.
get a load of you - telling me off yesterday for being insulting/aggressive, and then you have the nerve to say "don't flatter yourself sweety" as if that's not exactly the same thing :lol: - you're hilarious, aren't you? here's somebody who I can take seriously - somebody who commits the sin that they're preaching against.

No, it isn't the same thing. You were swearing and being extremely rude. I called you 'sweetie' and you think that's the same thing? :curious: Oh yes, I'm such a sinner! :rolleyes:
You accused me of watching your posting activity... I had only interacted with you on the one thread prior to this.

Why did you even bring your irrelevant opinions onto this thread? There is a time and a place. Go and vent your frustrations on a Sadiq Khan thread or somewhere. :lol:
No, it isn't the same thing. You were swearing and being extremely rude. I called you 'sweetie' and you think that's the same thing? :curious: Oh yes, I'm such a sinner! :rolleyes:
You accused me of watching your posting activity... I had only interacted with you on the one thread prior to this.

look up "passive aggression" on google -_- do I really need to spoonfeed you this ****?

Why did you even bring your irrelevant opinions onto this thread? There is a time and a place. Go and vent your frustrations on a Sadiq Khan thread or somewhere. :lol:

did I even mention sadiq khan here? :| I mentioned your obvious dislike for me in that threa, but I never mentioned SK here, did I?
x

I think that's enough now. This isn't at all relevant to the OP's thread.
I think that's enough now. This isn't at all relevant to the OP's thread.

well I'll doubtlessly find you starting arguments with me on other threads so fine.

but to bring this back to the subject at hand - I know a lot of law students. I used to do law so obviously I made friends with them an one of my best friends today is a law student. they all seem to be very glum about law, and only have monetary motivations. none of them really find the subject particularly interesting. one time, my law student friend found it shocking that I assumed that they were interested in the subject, no less. I don't know what else would suffice here, seeing as all you needed, apparently, was "I know a lot of law students and they really enjoy it" - I've known my law student friends for years. they've been my friends at uni for 3 years. why would they lie to me? it's easy to lie for some kind of academic purpose, e.g. to make yourself seem like a good student, or to appear passionate in an interview, but saying this to a friend is different because they aren't going to judge you or take away your financial opportunities by saying something potentially damaging
well I'll doubtlessly find you starting arguments with me on other threads so fine.

but to bring this back to the subject at hand - I know a lot of law students. I used to do law so obviously I made friends with them an one of my best friends today is a law student. they all seem to be very glum about law, and only have monetary motivations. none of them really find the subject particularly interesting. one time, my law student friend found it shocking that I assumed that they were interested in the subject, no less. I don't know what else would suffice here, seeing as all you needed, apparently, was "I know a lot of law students and they really enjoy it" - I've known my law student friends for years. they've been my friends at uni for 3 years. why would they lie to me? it's easy to lie for some kind of academic purpose, e.g. to make yourself seem like a good student, or to appear passionate in an interview, but saying this to a friend is different because they aren't going to judge you or take away your financial opportunities by saying something potentially damaging

I look forward to that. I'll be sure to check out your stats. (That is sarcasm, I'm not actively seeking your posts out.)

Well that isn't exactly the subject at hand... :redface: The OP was asking about BA/LLB law, not whether to do law or not.

Some people like law, some don't. Even if they're studying law they might be studying it just for the money, but they also might be studying it because of a genuine interest. Whatever. :dontknow:
Reply 30
Original post by 999tigger
There is no need to lie. Simple.

I knew there'd be some sanctimonious adolescent waiting to take issue with my statement.

If s/he were earning a QLD, it'd be a clarification, not a lie. And a fair one.
Reply 31
Original post by SadShark
@BubbleB - I'm not doing it for the money, let's face it, graduate prospects suck for 60% of students anyway. Law was the only subject I could see myself studying and I actually quite enjoy it.

@Assan - it won't be a QLD because I can't study equity and trusts at uni because it's not offered as a part of the BA course 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you transfer?

I'll be doing a BA, but it's QLD at my school, unless you opt out.
Original post by Assan
I knew there'd be some sanctimonious adolescent waiting to take issue with my statement.

If s/he were earning a QLD, it'd be a clarification, not a lie. And a fair one.

If the award the OP has is an BA then it's a BA. Not a clairifcation at all. It isnt a case of being sanctimonious, it's a case of being accurate and truthful, which tends to be quite important.

Whether they have a BA or an LLB makes no difference, as long as it is a QLD, so there is no need to lie.

heh@ adolescent .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
law is boring - don't do something just because of the money - money isn't the metric of happiness. happiness is.

But Law is very satisfying for me - I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy it. And most certainly so do many other students.

Don't repeat cliches with little substance. Yes, it's very difficult, but that doesn't make it boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by *Stefan*
But Law is very satisfying for me - I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy it. And most certainly so do many other students.

Don't repeat cliches with little substance. Yes, it's very difficult, but that doesn't make it boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no point arguing with her, she has friends who study and obviously they represent every law student in the country *rolls eyes heavily*

I gave her a very good response as to why I enjoy studying law after she asked me to be detailed as possible. I never got a response to that though...
Reply 35
Original post by Hann95
There's no point arguing with her, she has friends who study and obviously they represent every law student in the country *rolls eyes heavily*

I gave her a very good response as to why I enjoy studying law after she asked me to be detailed as possible. I never got a response to that though...

I think this is the second account of another person whom I also got into an argument with.

He literally hated law because he failed his first year. I can see the similarities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by *Stefan*
I think this is the second account of another person whom I also got into an argument with.

He literally hated law because he failed his first year. I can see the similarities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's completely fine to dislike a subject, even hate it. I tried to do maths at a-level, did terribly so swapped to law after the first term and loved it so went on to do it at uni. I don't look for threads where maths degrees are mentioned and demand to know why anyone would ever want to study maths and scoff at anyone that dares to say they enjoy it 😂
Reply 37
OP here! Just thought I'd add that I too have grown to absolutely love law! It's a subject that opens up many options post graduation and that's another reason why many choose to study it. I'd really like to know what BubbleB studies? To try to understand her hate for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
law is boring - don't do something just because of the money - money isn't the metric of happiness. happiness is.

no need to quickly make the assumption that someone is doing a career for the money, they may genuinely enjoy law.. everyone is different something you find boring others may not

But I also share a similar opinion with you :smile: the idea of working in a career which requires a lot of reading does not sound appealing to me
Reply 39
Original post by Hann95
It's completely fine to dislike a subject, even hate it. I tried to do maths at a-level, did terribly so swapped to law after the first term and loved it so went on to do it at uni. I don't look for threads where maths degrees are mentioned and demand to know why anyone would ever want to study maths and scoff at anyone that dares to say they enjoy it 😂

There's a difference between hating it and going around bashing it and persuading others not to do it because you failed (referring to him of course).

But yeah, exactly that! If you don't like something, that's fine, even talk about it constructively. Going around saying crap about it is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending