The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to get over your first love?

I was close to someone for a period. We were never "together" but we developed an unlikely friendship over time. We were both pretty broken people and, even though our lives are worlds apart, we just grew closer together.

He never wanted me the way I wanted him but he was still so good to me. He looked after me and he made me feel better when I felt like ****.

He moved and I haven't seen him in half a year. In the beginning, I was so depressed that I didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't eat properly for a few months, I even cut myself one day when I felt really shitty. It brought all my past issues with low self-esteem and self-hatred and depression back.

I tell myself that deep down it would never have worked anyway. There would have been religious/cultural issues on my side and drugs and other **** on his side but it doesn't help. I made him my absolute world and, since his absence, I've completely lost myself.

I'll admit, I'm not as ****ed up about it as I was months ago but I still think about him every day. It's half a year down the line and I still break down crying if I think about him too much.

I mean, do these feelings ever ****ing stop?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You may always have a soft spot for him, but that doesn't mean you'll be hung up on him much longer. It may be a week, it may be another 6 months but you'll find yourself pushing him to the back of your mind soon enough. One day, he'll just be a distant memory
Original post by JackFletch
You may always have a soft spot for him, but that doesn't mean you'll be hung up on him much longer. It may be a week, it may be another 6 months but you'll find yourself pushing him to the back of your mind soon enough. One day, he'll just be a distant memory

Thanks.
A distant memory –wow, that’s a scary thought.
As much as I need to forget him, at the same time, I almost don’t want to.
Ok now I feel bad for comparing you to Heinrich Himmler...

I could probably fix your computer though
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob

Ha, well I’ve also been compared to Donkey from Shrek and Sadness from Inside Out, oh and Daria from Daria. The list just gets more diverse every time.

Oh, how?

I really hate this phone, thats the second time i accidentally gave someone rep.
Original post by cuddle_me_in
I really hate this phone, thats the second time i accidentally gave someone rep.

I rather like it, if it wasn't for people on their phones i'm not quite sure how many gems i'd have right now.

No offense I actually forgot about you as I was downstairs on my phone, i'm responding to your message right now :rofl:
I rather like it, if it wasn't for people on their phones i'm not quite sure how many gems i'd have right now.

No offense I actually forgot about you as I was downstairs on my phone, i'm responding to your message right now :rofl:

I am so offended that you would forget about me; a complete stranger on the Internet.

Dude, it's not like I'm paying you for it.
it took me about a year of drinking, tears and bad relationships
About 3 years? I don't know if I loved her. Or if I'm even over here. I dunno. I've been with about 4 girls since but I still think about her most days.
That feel when you don't know what love is...
Original post by jamesthehustler
it took me about a year of drinking, tears and bad relationships

I can't even drink my problems away but maybe that's not such a bad thing ha.

Original post by hezzlington
About 3 years? I don't know if I loved her. Or if I'm even over here. I dunno. I've been with about 4 girls since but I still think about her most days.

Wow, that's rough. How do you mean you don't know if you loved her?

Original post by spanker
That feel when you don't know what love is...

Well, it wasn't a very fulfilling love because he didn't feel the same way (or, at least, not to the same extent as I did). I feel like a weak, pathetic mess tbh.
About 3 months. We broke up 5 months ago and time has gone so fast but she was a biatch and I don't have any time in my life for a biatch.
If you swear in a post will it get deleted?
Reply 13
About 4 years! Totally over him now though.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not long. I'm spectrum like that :u:

How long is 'not long'?

Original post by HuzaifahN
About 3 months. We broke up 5 months ago and time has gone so fast but she was a biatch and I don't have any time in my life for a biatch.
If you swear in a post will it get deleted?

Ha no, I swore in my post and it just comes up as asteriks

Original post by Mona-S
About 4 years! Totally over him now though.

Wow, that’s a long time. I’m glad to hear that you’re over him now though.
Quite a bit
Reply 16

Wow, that’s a long time. I’m glad to hear that you’re over him now though.

Don't worry, you will eventually get over him!! :redface:
Original post by queen-bee
Quite a bit

How long is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by Mona-S
Don't worry, you will eventually get over him!! :redface:

I hope so. I'm having one of my better days today. I think think thread has helped actually. I just need to remind myself that there's light at the end of the tunnel. One of these days I'll make it out. It's just that I've never missed anyone this much in my life. I didn't even think it was possible to feel like this about one person. Well, at least now I know what the deal with all those love songs is ha.
Reply 18
I hope so. I'm having one of my better days today. I think think thread has helped actually. I just need to remind myself that there's light at the end of the tunnel. One of these days I'll make it out. It's just that I've never missed anyone this much in my life. I didn't even think it was possible to feel like this about one person. Well, at least now I know what the deal with all those love songs is ha.

Honestly I remember feeling like that!! But I regret it so much! I can't believe I spent so much time crying over him when he didn't even care.
Think about it, you've been feeling like this for over 6 months and he is probably out having fun, not even caring about your feelings.
Seriously, he is not worth it!!
When I think about the times I did what you are doing, I feel really stupid because I let a human make me feel likes this.
How long is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Many months,we were together for 6 years and we were very close. So yeah,it took quite some time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending