The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
And how do you decide what unis are in the top 20?

By looking at uni rankings
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
Im yet to see anyone disproving my original statement.

We're just tired of seeing this sort of stuff. If you want to see it 'disproved', use TSRs search feature.
By looking at uni rankings

Which rankings?
For the reasons i have given for my original post. better career prospects, higher earners, better grades, not being easily replaced etc etc
In YOUR opinion.

If you want to be objective then provide hard statistics to back your assertions.

Anecdotal statements of the type made in your original post are not acceptable as objective evidence.

From what I've seen so far in your assertions, you have not quite grasped the concept of objectivity.

Must try harder.
Original post by Trapz99
Which rankings?

Any really, completeuniguide etc etc

Or more generally you can say russell group but not all of them are good
This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads earn way more money than non STEM grads(ST and LT)
- STEM students have better grades than non STEM students (on average)
- STEM grads have greater career prospects than non STEM grads
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Lets be honest, the people who say "STEM and non STEM degrees are equal!" are those who do non STEM degrees or A levels and are very insecure. This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry.

(Economics/Finance are also basically STEM since they have a lot of maths in their degrees)

So do you think non STEM degrees are easier?
Original post by uberteknik
In YOUR opinion.

If you want to be objective then provide hard statistics to back your assertions.

Anecdotal statements of the type made in your original post are not acceptable as objective evidence.

From what I've seen so far in your assertions, you have not quite grasped the concept of objectivity.

Must try harder.

I searched 'STEM grads earn more' and got:

http://www.businessinsider.com/stem-majors-earn-a-lot-more-money-after-graduation-2014-7?IR=T

http://time.com/money/4189471/stem-graduates-highest-starting-salaries/

http://www.asce.org/magazine/20150602-stem-college-majors-earn-the-most-at-all-points-in-careers/

Everything else is fairly self explanatory and i would have to assume that people who do read it use common sense.
Original post by DeadEnd_96
So do you think non STEM degrees are easier?

On average, yes, by a long long way.

How can you say non STEM degrees are easier when you have never studied any of them?

How can you say non STEM degrees are easier when you have never studied any of them?

Common sense.

Also it isnt difficult to quantify difficulty, you look at things like drop out rates.
Point proven. Goodbye.
On average, yes, by a long long way.

Will also have to chip in and say I think non-stem degrees are a little easier. Some of them anyway, at degree level.
Common sense.

Also it isnt difficult to quantify difficulty, you look at things like drop out rates.

I completely respect your opinion, but does it really matter what degree you have now? I know several people with degrees in Philosophy, History, Music etc. and they have managed to get a job at one of the Big 4 Firms.
(edited 7 years ago)
This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads earn way more money than non STEM grads(ST and LT)
- STEM students have better grades than non STEM students (on average)
- STEM grads have greater career prospects than non STEM grads
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Lets be honest, the people who say "STEM and non STEM degrees are equal!" are those who do non STEM degrees or A levels and are very insecure. This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry.

(Economics/Finance are also basically STEM since they have a lot of maths in their degrees)

Repped for bantz.

With regards to the highlighted, you are wrong. If you think about it, computers can easily do mathematical calculations a million times quicker than any human. Add mechanical robots powered by autodidactic AI, and all engineers, doctors, surgeons, software developers etc are obsolete.
I completely respect your opinion, but does it really matter what degree you have now? I know several people with degrees in Philosophy, History, Music etc. and they have managed to get a job at one of the Big 4 Firms.

non STEM degree holders can do very well, im surprised no one brought up law for example.
However it is easier to get into big 4 with a STEM degree, and with finance your uni counts a lot more than subjects
OP is a douche but OP is mostly right.
Original post by jambojim97
Repped for bantz.

With regards to the highlighted, you are wrong. If you think about it, computers can easily do mathematical calculations a million times quicker than any human. Add mechanical robots powered by autodidactic AI, and all engineers, doctors, surgeons, software developers etc are obsolete.

STEM grads generally go on to do jobs that require logic and decision making, something an AI cannot do. When comparing an AI system to a human stockbroker for example, AI is more effective at analysing pure stats but a human is needed to make appropriate decisions where human thought is required. Many also think accountants will become extinct when really AI will merely help them out as they are sole decision makers, something a human can only do. Therefore, AI actually simply helps humans and aids them, breaking down the math and processing data but a human is needed for decision making, the logic side of things etc etc

If an AI is created that basically has the mind of a human then we're all ****ed but right now, AI is growing and demand for STEM degree grads is rising with it.
Original post by ron_trns
OP is a douche but OP is mostly right.

:smile:
Will study Mathematics and Economics. At a level i do maths, F maths, Physics and Economics.

Why are you watering down your Maths Degree with a subject that's only borderline STEM?
Original post by JamesN88
Why are you watering down your Maths Degree with a subject that's only borderline STEM?

Got offered for just Maths but then i opted to do some Economics. Idk, may revert back to pure maths at uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending