The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rizwana78
Thank you soooo much!
Let me try to answer your question though.
You usually use significance level 0.05 (I.e 95% confidence level) and then you compare the student calculated t value with the critical value at 0.05, and then draw out a conclusion from that. If the students calculated value is higher than the critical value then you accept that there is a correlation in the two variables that you're investigating. (Eg: There is a significant correlation between the increase in conc of rennin and the rate of milk clotting; if there is a null hypothesis stated then you reject it and you have to mention this in the ans as well aaaaand you can also state if there is a positive or a negative correlation) if the student's calculated value is lower than the critical value then you state that there is no significant correlation between blah blah and you accept the null hypothesis (state null hypothesis only if it was asked in the question before) if asked, you have to give the biological explanation as well.
Sometimes degrees of freedom is given and you have to choose in that case don't panic it's just the sample size.

0.05 is the probability and 95% is its percentage.

I hope it's clear to you now. :smile:

Ahhhh you're the best:colondollar:x
Original post by Annaaix_
I think it really is worth it! There's 59 predicted questions with paragraph answers which gives a full explained answer, list of all topics, words in the english dictionary with their definitions and then words from biological dictionary with definitions!

So cool:cool:

I've just paid, but mine says that I also have 1 pending transaction????:s-smilie: Could you please check if yours says the same thing?
Original post by Adorable98
I've just paid, but mine says that I also have 1 pending transaction????:s-smilie: Could you please check if yours says the same thing?

Mine says the same thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chinu_Cheeku97
Mine says the same thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? What does that mean?? I'll have to pay twice or what?
You already received yours? Mine's taking a while as since the past two days it says that the payment is still being processed. Looks like i have to mail them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't you screenshot it for us from ur phone???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ya good idea @Annaaix_ would it be possible for you to screenshot it on phone? Thanks for helping...

Original post by bdoon esm
Can't you screenshot it for us from ur phone???

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Really?? What does that mean?? I'll have to pay twice or what?

I don't think so. I mailed them so hopefully it should be sorted out by tomorrow. I think you should mail them too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so. I mailed them so hopefully it should be sorted out by tomorrow. I think you should mail them too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just did!! Thanks:biggrin:
Reply 108
So i'm about to buy them.. you guys think I shouldn't if that error appears to everyone?
I certainly don't wanna get that 60 EUR xD
Reply 109
Original post by PlayerBB
Are you guys prepared for biology unit 6 on 13th ?

I'm trying.. mayn i want full UMS but this seems so hard.. so I've come up with a few tips for that.. well what about you?
As in 5 days remaining and it's much harder than chem 6 or phy 6 :/
That planning **** .... ughhh :banghead:
Original post by Aimen.
I'm trying.. mayn i want full UMS but this seems so hard.. so I've come up with a few tips for that.. well what about you?
As in 5 days remaining and it's much harder than chem 6 or phy 6 :/
That planning **** .... ughhh :banghead:

Same!!! Trying so hard to get an A* in the paper but that seems impossible so like 5 days remaining, 5 daaays till we will it off!! :borat:
Reply 111
Same!!! Trying so hard to get an A* in the paper but that seems impossible so like 5 days remaining, 5 daaays till we will it off!! :borat:

But it has same repeating stuff so it ain't impossible getting an A*
Original post by Aimen.
But it has same repeating stuff so it ain't impossible getting an A*

Yeah but I always lose marks for the limitations and valid conclusion parts and sometimes I get mixed up in the last part of question 1 which drifts me off from the A* but l am going to make some notes so hopefully I'll pull it off
Reply 113
Yeah but I always lose marks for the limitations and valid conclusion parts and sometimes I get mixed up in the last part of question 1 which drifts me off from the A* but l am going to make some notes so hopefully I'll pull it off

Dude they repeat the same limitations all the time like experimental conditions differ from real ones etc. so just memorise 'em and you'll be in good shape :smile:
Original post by Aimen.
Dude they repeat the same limitations all the time like experimental conditions differ from real ones etc. so just memorise 'em and you'll be in good shape :smile:

Could you please list some examples, cos I also struggle with limitations!:smile:
Reply 115
Could you please list some examples, cos I also struggle with limitations!:smile:

Sure why not! Although they'd differ from experiment to experiment but the one's that'll work in all cases are
1. difficult to control all variables affecting the experiment.
2. another variable may be acting as a limiting factor.
3. idea that experimental conditions do not match real conditions.
4. Testing with more than one type of (say, bacteria, mineral ions, seeds,.. watever the experiment states)(this last one is less applicable to all experiments but since it is a 3 mark question.. so the first 3 will do x) )
Original post by Aimen.
Sure why not! Although they'd differ from experiment to experiment but the one's that'll work in all cases are
4. Testing with more than one type of (say, bacteria, mineral ions, seeds,.. watever the experiment states)(this last one is less applicable to all experiments but since it is a 3 mark question.. so the first 3 will do x) )

I see, thank you! Just a quick question:colondollar:, how do you know if a variable is acting as a limiting factor:smile:?
I don't think we should be worried for unit 6! We just have to take the time to memorize and I think we'll be okay.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what experiment is likely to come up?
Original post by Aimen.

What do you mean by number 4 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Annaaix_
I don't think we should be worried for unit 6! We just have to take the time to memorize and I think we'll be okay.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what experiment is likely to come up?

I have no idea but definitely not about enzymes and mitosis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending