The Student Room Group

Why have the left grown to respect and love Islam?

First of all, I would be happy if a moderator could confirm if I'm allowed to tag users on TSR who represent the topic at hand, with their quotes of course? I don't want to have the thread deleted as a result.

Secondly, before you bring up Christianity or Judaism, im a strict atheist and hate all religion, the reason we focus on Islam is because the left have a special relationship with the ideology.

Now, on a number of my previous threads and on other threads we have see left wingers defend and express their support for Islam. They will say stuff like "these actions are not representative of Islam", "islam is peace", "islam is tolerant"...only previously a user asked me for evidence when I suggested the majority of the Islamic world are opposed to homosexuality because she believed it was only a small handful minority, that's the level of denial the left have reached, they will not accept homosexuals are persecuted in the Islamic world.

Why do the left defend Islam? It is barbaric and like any religion is responsible for the deaths of catastrophic numbers. There is nothing peaceful about the Quran or tolerant or loving. The Hadiths are worse. Yet the left will attack you for admitting that.

I challenge a left winger to say Islam is a barbaric ideology. I will say the same about any of these ideologies if you ask
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omen96
First of all, I would be happy if a moderator could confirm if I'm allowed to tag users on TSR who represent the topic at hand, with their quotes of course? I don't want to have the thread deleted as a result.

Secondly, before you bring up Christianity or Judaism, im a strict atheist and hate all religion, the reason we focus on Islam is because the left have a special relationship with the ideology.

Now, on a number of my previous threads and on other threads we have see left wingers defend and express their support for Islam. They will say stuff like "these actions are not representative of Islam", "islam is peace", "islam is tolerant"...only previously a user asked me for evidence when I suggested the majority of the Islamic world are opposed to homosexuality because she believed it was only a small handful minority, that's the level of denial the left have reached, they will not accept homosexuals are persecuted in the Islamic world.

Why do the left defend Islam? It is barbaric and like any religion is responsible for the deaths of catastrophic numbers. There is nothing peaceful about the Quran or tolerant or loving. The Hadiths are worse. Yet the left will attack you for admitting that.

I challenge a left winger to say Islam is a barbaric ideology. I will say the same about any of these ideologies if you ask

I'd say it's more a case of naivety than a case of 'loving and respecting' Islam.
Original post by Omen96

Firstly I would like to say on the whole you are correct.There is a clear distinction on the left which seems to show they are pro islam , and seem to hate Israel- for bombing Palestine. My personal belief is that Islamic nations are generally very left wing it will be unfair to call them communists , but when they move to England they remain very much left wing and influence the thinking of our left-wingers. Also left leaning governments seem to be internationalists so many do-gooders support left wing parties, I think the Greens love Islam much more than Labour Voters i have met. I think Blair as much as i liked his economic policies has a lot to answer to for allowing them here in their Droves in the early 2000's people did not care because times seemed to be good. But Cameron has sustained high immigration policies. I think Im probably blue labour hate immigration but support a lot of New labour policies (which aren't) linked to immigration.
Reply 3
You hate religion, therefore any opinion you have is heavily biased, and so can not be taken seriously.
well tbh no religion is peaceful, you will always find barbaric rules no matter what religion it is. secondly, idk how muslims are "responsible for the deaths of catastrophic numbers", i mean if youre talking about daesh then youre mistaken ychap, the aren't muslims, they are an extremist group, islam has been around hundreds of centuries longer than any terrorist group, so i know you dont wanna hear this, but they most certainly dont represent the majority, its like seeing a christian attack someone and saying- all chrsitians are the same- doesnt connect does it?

you said most are against homosexuality, where did you get that from? i dont remember taking part in a survey as to whether or not i agree with homosexuality...also if that were to be true, im pretty sure the muslims in my school would have protested against having an lgbt society, and no muslims would have attended it, however, there are muslims that go to the lgbt society and nobody has protested against it

EDIT: sorry i just reread the title, you said why are they respecting islam? why whould they not respect a religion? muslims respect everyone, certainly the muslims i know and the mosque i attend, i mean if we weren't respectful and were only a bunch of homophobic barbaric muslims, we wouldn't have interfaith event etc. op you are biased since you hate religion, i just wasted 5 minutes of my life
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Omen96

You are beginning to sound like a demonizing Hitler and an extremist which is not a very British attitude, Brits are known for their moderation, not extremism, we're middle of the road for everything. You cannot generalize the minds of millions of people.
(edited 7 years ago)
As a poster said, I suspect it's mostly due to naivety and them not actually knowing what Islam is about and the more unpleasant beliefs it espouses. I believe most of them would change their minds if they actually sat down and read the Qur'an cover to cover.
As a lefty, I respect, but do not love, Islam. I don't even respect it specifically because it's Islam, if that makes sense - it's mainly because it has billions of followers, it's never really going to go away, and disrespecting it doesn't seem particularly constructive. To be clear, I've absolutely nothing against criticising Islam, and in fact I do that pretty frequently myself. I simply draw a distinction between criticism and disrespect.
Original post by GdotMdot
You hate religion, therefore any opinion you have is heavily biased, and so can not be taken seriously.

Religion does have very very big issues. ISIS and IRA was created through Religion lets not forget Al-queda. I do not think their is a Chrisitan terror group , if anyone says the KKK i will laugh in their face
Original post by Dan Jarvis
My personal belief is that Islamic nations are generally very left wing it will be unfair to call them communists

Wuuuut

Have you visited Pakistan lately?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Wuuuut

Have you visited Pakistan lately?

No have you?
Original post by Dan Jarvis
No have you?

I'll admit that I haven't. Nonetheless it doesn't take much research to figure out that Pakistan, and most countries where Islam is enshrined in government, are generally highly conservative and right-wing.
Islam as an ideology can be criticised but there isnt much point in doing so. A number of TSR users are dedicated to doing so, not realising that the point has already been established.

so to turn the tables, why is criticising Islam so necessary?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'll admit that I haven't. Nonetheless it doesn't take much research to figure out that Pakistan, and most countries where Islam is enshrined in government, are generally highly conservative and right-wing.

Socially but not economically. My question is to you then, why do all Pakistanis i know vote green- not even Labour
Reply 14
Original post by phil5six
You are beginning to sound like a demonizing Hitler and an extremist which is not a very British attitude, Brits are known for their moderation, not extremism, we're middle of the road for everything. You cannot generalize the minds of millions of people.

What are you going on about and why change topic?

The vast majority have now accepted the left have a strange relationship with Islam, are you going to address this point at least?
The majority of Muslims in the UK are non-white, and thus certain institutions and figures on the left are scared to criticise Islam through some bizarre notion that this would be racist.

Fairly easy to find plenty of Guardian articles criticising the Catholic Church or the Church of England.

Good luck finding many criticising the less than progressive doctrines of Islam.
Reply 16
Original post by lolatmaths
Islam as an ideology can be criticised but there isnt much point in doing so. A number of TSR users are dedicated to doing so, not realising that the point has already been established.

so to turn the tables, why is criticising Islam so necessary?

Islam is incompatible with all of the progressive values in the west. The fact the left have failed to address the Islam Trojan horse scandal in schools, the private sharia courts in Islamic communities, the move to an unregulated and non-monitored halal slaughter, the fact various left wing Politicans address forced gender split conventions, plus many more cases show we need to criticise Islam. While the left promote it and try to change policy to integrate Islamic law we need an equal and opposite move to counter this. The fact parts of society are going backwards because of Islam and it's backed by the left, all needs to be addressed
I do not love Islam. I think all religions except Christianity are false and the work of the devil. However, as a Christian, I will love all humans, both good and evil, black and white, male and female, Christian and non-Christian including Muslims.
I don't think many love it as much as many right wing people on the internet believe. I can't speak for all the left (and it is foolish to lump all the left together, something I shouldn't need to state but it gets done on TSR all the time), but my views to from indifference to dislike. What I do like though is religious freedom and freedom of expression/speech. They are important British values. People should be allowed to follow the religion they choose and or hold the beliefs they want. As for Islamic countries, they've got a long way to go. Britain is very weak when it comes to criticising their human rights records. Take Saudi Arabia... Blair, Brown and now Cameron won't criticise them, instead we suck up to them and sell them weapons. I wish it was different, but it certainly isn't exclusively a left wing thing.

Although I do find it strange that some on the British right have latched onto LGBT rights and Islam. They seem to have very short memories as it is the more conservative elements of Britain that were once very proud about their persecution of gay people in the name of preserving British values. The Conservative party have done more harm to gay people than Muslims in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by tengentoppa
The majority of Muslims in the UK are non-white, and thus certain institutions and figures on the left are scared to criticise Islam through some bizarre notion that this would be racist.

Fairly easy to find plenty of Guardian articles criticising the Catholic Church or the Church of England.

Good luck finding many criticising the less than progressive doctrines of Islam.

The left would get far more respect if they attacked Islam as they attack Christianity and Judaism (especially Judaism), instead they do the opposite with Islam and will never attack it

Latest

Trending

Trending