The Student Room Group

How does Double Science work?

I know this has been asked before, but 'm just really confused about how it all works.

I'm doing Edexcel Double Science, which consists of 6 exams:
B1
C1
P1

B2
C2
P2

Here are my questions:
If you are essentially sitting a Physics exam as well, then why do you only get a GCSE out of the 2 sciences? Do you get two certificates: Double Science and Additional Science? - What do they mean?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aesking
I know this has been asked before, but most of the threads are closed now and there is different responses that causes me confusion.

B1
C1
P1

B2
C2
P2

Here are my questions:
If you are essentially sitting a Physics exam as well, then why do you only get a GCSE out of the 2 sciences? Do you get two certificates: Double Science and Additional Science? - What do they mean?

You are learning 2/3 of the content for each Science. I'm not sure as to how the certificates work, but because you only learn 2/3, it's equivalent to doing 2 sciences and so you only get 2 GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by aesking
I know this has been asked before, but 'm just really confused about how it all works.

B1
C1
P1

B2
C2
P2

Here are my questions:

I'm pretty sure you'll get two separate grades for Science, and Additional Science. The grades you get in B1, P1 and C1 will make one GCSE, and B2, P2 and C2 will be another.
Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Edminzodo
You are learning 2/3 of the content for each Science. I'm not sure as to how the certificates work, but because you only learn 2/3, it's equivalent to doing 2 sciences and so you only get 2 GCSEs.

Ah, I see! That makes much more sense. So, if I'm only learning 2/3 of the GCSE content for Biology, Chemistry and Physics - would that affect, let says your A-level studies? (Like if I wanted to do Biology in college for my A-levels, or one of the other 2) I know GCSEs and A-levels are different, but still, they are progression from one to another.

Original post by PLJohn
I'm pretty sure you'll get two separate grades for Science, and Additional Science. The grades you get in B1, P1 and C1 will make one GCSE, and B2, P2 and C2 will be another.
Hope this helps!

It does! Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aesking
Ah, I see! That makes much more sense. So, if I'm only learning 2/3 of the GCSE content for Biology, Chemistry and Physics - would that affect, let says your A-level studies? (Like if I wanted to do Biology in college for my A-levels, or one of the other 2) I know GCSE and A-levels are different, but still, they are progression from one to another, so I would think I would need all the knowledge I could use.

It does! Thanks :smile:

Some Sixth Forms won't let you take science A-Levels if you only do Double Science, so you'd have to check with the places you apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest