The Student Room Group

Does not owning your own house depress you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Voi
It's because renting is like being poor.

You don't own the place you're renting...

It makes me feel empty, homeless and poor thinking about renting.

Buying a house means owning a part of this country, and just makes me feel more content and satisfied knowing that it can't be taken away from me as easily as renting.

Would you call the people paying 2-3k in rent poor? You don't own the place you took out a mortgage for either, people just say they do to make themselves feel better. Your backwards feelings are your business, good luck with them
Original post by Voi
It's because renting is like being poor.

You don't own the place you're renting...

It makes me feel empty, homeless and poor thinking about renting.

Buying a house means owning a part of this country, and just makes me feel more content and satisfied knowing that it can't be taken away from me as easily as renting.

My dad owns his house, my mum rents hers. From living in both of them I can say there is effectively no real difference, aside from the fact that my mum has more dudes she can call if something breaks.

I feel like you're really over-exaggerating.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
As you say, why shouldn't they have the luxury of having properties in their name? But young people today who are in professions like chemical engineer, physics teacher, will find it very difficult to get on the housing ladder. They will damn well earn their money but a landlord who already owns a property will take an increasing proportion of that money off them.

So why shouldn't young people today who are chemical engineers, physics teachers, and working hard for their money, be able to save and give something to their children going forwards? Rather than just work hard but find landlords siphoning off more and more of their wages, restricting their ability to save.

No I totally understand where you're coming from. My argument was purely against the resentment of people who are fortunate to be in the position of owning properties. Not all landlords are like that, though. It depends whether they're in it for the money or not.
Reply 23
no, because I do own one

hth
Reply 24
Original post by Retired_Messiah
My dad owns his house, my mum rents hers. From living in both of them I can say there is effectively no real difference, aside from the fact that my mum has more dudes she can call if something breaks.

I feel like you're really over-exaggerating.

For a lot of people, the difference is pyschological.

For me, as I've said, knowing that a house is my own makes me feel more naturally confident, worthy of society and others, and more part of Britain and its culture.

People who do own their own house wear those big posh coats and try to look like a capitalist and all smug at train stations with a Starbucks in their hand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Voi

For me, as I've said, knowing that a house is my own makes me feel more naturally confident, worthy of society and others, and more part of Britain and its culture.

That's not necessarily a normal reaction to have... Whether or not you own a property does not determine your self worth
Reply 26
Original post by A-LJLB
That's not necessarily a normal reaction to have... Whether or not you own a property does not determine your self worth

Are people this shallow?
Original post by Voi
Are people this shallow?

Excuse me? Do elaborate how that makes me shallow.
Original post by A-LJLB
No I totally understand where you're coming from. My argument was purely against the resentment of people who are fortunate to be in the position of owning properties. Not all landlords are like that, though. It depends whether they're in it for the money or not.

I think this situation brings out a lot of resentment because for those on the losing end of the situation it seems so obviously unfair.

I'm not saying that hard working people should have their houses taken off them. I'm saying government should deregulate the planning restrictions and housing associating restrictions, and yes government should also increase its own house building, to create enough housing supply so that basic housing is affordable for the average household.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think this situation brings out a lot of resentment because for those on the losing end of the situation it seems so obviously unfair.

I'm not saying that hard working people should have their houses taken off them. I'm saying government should deregulate the planning restrictions and housing associating restrictions, and yes government should also increase its own house building, to create enough housing supply so that basic housing is affordable for the average household.

I agree. But OP's insults aren't doing anything to help the matter.
Nope.

Because I bought my house last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by A-LJLB
Excuse me? Do elaborate how that makes me shallow.

No I mean, do people think like this when you meet them?

Thing is, I don't think renting makes you part of the middle class, regardless of how much your rent is.

The Daily Mail said you must own property to be part of the Middle class, and have some savings.

So if you rent, people might think you're poor and not worth their time to be around?
Original post by Voi

I think this phenomenon is only true because the housing market is so bad in the UK, so the choice is of having some control over your living standards by owning a home, or living at the mercy of landlords who keep increasing your rent and make you live in shoddy conditions, if you rent.

In a lot of other countries where there isn't a housing shortage, renting isn't a big problem. It's important to the flexibility of the labour market as well. In other countries people will get a job in another city and up sticks and move, if they can rent a decent place at an affordable price its not a problem.
Original post by Voi

I suppose psychological is now a synonym for entirely irrational?
Reply 34
Original post by Drewski
Nope.

Because I've bought my house last year.

Lucky you. Welcome to the Middle class.

How much did you pay for your house, where is it and did your parents help pay?
Original post by Voi
No I mean, do people think like this when you meet them?

Thing is, I don't think renting makes you part of the middle class, regardless of how much your rent is.

The Daily Mail said you must own property to be part of the Middle class, and have some savings.

So if you rent, people might think you're poor and not worth their time to be around?

Obviously owning your own house is a lovely thing, but I can't say I have ever met anyone who links any kind of self worth to owning property. Many people choose not to buy their own property just because it's not for them, but that doesn't make them any less valuable as a person

If people think that, they're not worth being around
Renting seems too much like being a serf. Especially in this country.

At least with a mortgage you get something at the end of it that is yours and frees you from being bound to any kind of chains like rent or a mortgage.
Original post by Voi
Lucky you. Welcome to the Middle class.

How much did you pay for your house, where is it and did your parents help pay?

Yeah, I'm going to put all that on a public forum...

It's Manchester, so according to you doesn't count.
Reply 38
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, I'm going to put all that on a public forum...

It's Manchester, so according to you doesn't count.

What do you mean doesn't count?

Of course it counts.

The majority of houses are at least 100k nowadays.

That's still too much money for most to afford without a 30 year mortgage.

Quick Reply

Latest