The Student Room Group

German Edexcel A-Level

For the oral exams, do they focus more on the flow/grammar or the message?

I got an A in the written exam but a D in the Oral, got a B overall - I got the idea that the Oral does not take as much %. What I remember is that in my oral I felt a bit nervous and kept pausing and didn't make sense - I was surprised to even get a grade. My speaking is so much better but I still tend to make grammatical mistakes (mostly with the endings) and I am retaking that oral and also doing the A2 oral. I am only wondering: what are they putting more of the emphasis on, the flow, the message you give or the grammar?
Reply 1
Hi i did a mock speaking just recebtly and i got an A for it, the trick is to not sound robotic when speaking, make sure it all flows and make sure your grammar is correct :3
I'm about to do mine. You get marked for your content, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, and flow. But there is more emphasis on the points you make (your content and vocab) and how much your speech flows. While it's good to try make as few grammar errors as possible, minor slip ups here and there when it comes to complex sentence structures (e.g. dass phrases or adjective endings) might not necessarily deduct you of marks, but you will be marked on your general accuracy.

In technical detail, you get 10 marks for what points you develop when talking about the stimulus card, 10 marks for how much your speech flows (e.g. the less hesitance, the more marks!), 10 marks for interaction (read: spontaneity and how 'on-the-spot' you are with your points), 5 marks for your pronunciation, and 15 marks collectively for your range of sentence structures, vocab, and grammatical accuracy.
Here's the whole thing for more information: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GER2TV-W-MS-JUN15.PDF

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by RCLeahcar
I'm about to do mine. You get marked for your content, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, and flow. But there is more emphasis on the points you make (your content and vocab) and how much your speech flows. While it's good to try make as few grammar errors as possible, minor slip ups here and there when it comes to complex sentence structures (e.g. dass phrases or adjective endings) might not necessarily deduct you of marks, but you will be marked on your general accuracy.

In technical detail, you get 10 marks for what points you develop when talking about the stimulus card, 10 marks for how much your speech flows (e.g. the less hesitance, the more marks!), 10 marks for interaction (read: spontaneity and how 'on-the-spot' you are with your points), 5 marks for your pronunciation, and 15 marks collectively for your range of sentence structures, vocab, and grammatical accuracy.
Here's the whole thing for more information: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GER2TV-W-MS-JUN15.PDF

Hope this helps!

I'm guessing cause although it is AQA, it also counts with German? Thanks a lot!
Im with edexcel and I've always been told speaking exams are so much more lenient with grammar rules. Sentence structures will be assessed, but cases/adjective endings are not strictly assessed. They care more about top vocab, your fluency and arguments! What topic are you doing? I'm doing health and fitness and its this friday :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by ImagineCats
Im with edexcel and I've always been told speaking exams are so much more lenient with grammar rules. Sentence structures will be assessed, but cases/adjective endings are not strictly assessed. They care more about top vocab, your fluency and arguments! What topic are you doing? I'm doing health and fitness and its this friday :frown:

I'm doing both AS and A2 Oral. So for AS I will do Youth Culture & Concerns and for A2 I will speak about Feminism. My biggest weaknesses are grammatical endings and I need to really slow down when I speak or else what I say is a mess loool
Original post by hunihuni
I'm doing both AS and A2 Oral. So for AS I will do Youth Culture & Concerns and for A2 I will speak about Feminism. My biggest weaknesses are grammatical endings and I need to really slow down when I speak or else what I say is a mess loool

Ahaha I'm with you on that one! Speakings my strength so aiming for a B/A in this so I can get a C/D in the actual exam and aim for a B/C overall! I hate grammar- I've just learnt "(x) spiel(t) eine grosse Rolle to try and grab some marks there :frown: :frown:

Hows A2 German? Deffo carrying it on for next year
Reply 7
Original post by ImagineCats
Ahaha I'm with you on that one! Speakings my strength so aiming for a B/A in this so I can get a C/D in the actual exam and aim for a B/C overall! I hate grammar- I've just learnt "(x) spiel(t) eine grosse Rolle to try and grab some marks there :frown: :frown:

Hows A2 German? Deffo carrying it on for next year

You'll have to do translation and research for your Unit 4 exam. If you're like a native speaker, you wouldn't have too much with an issue with it. All I can say is to practice from the beginning
You'll have to do translation and research for your Unit 4 exam. If you're like a native speaker, you wouldn't have too much with an issue with it. All I can say is to practice from the beginning

That sounds so evil wtf translation
Reply 9
I got an A in my AS speaking exam and I did youth culture but in the written AS exam i got a C - it was the listening that brought me down from a B to a C. I've got my speaking exam for A2 on monday and im doing euthanasia for the first debate bit but im dreading the bit after!

Have any of you done your A2 edexcel speaking exam yet? I really hope I dont get asked about the EU and migrant crisis
Reply 10
Original post by grace26x
I got an A in my AS speaking exam and I did youth culture but in the written AS exam i got a C - it was the listening that brought me down from a B to a C. I've got my speaking exam for A2 on monday and im doing euthanasia for the first debate bit but im dreading the bit after!

Have any of you done your A2 edexcel speaking exam yet? I really hope I dont get asked about the EU and migrant crisis

I've done my A2 speaking exam 3 days ago.
I think it went excellent.
Honestly, after the debate, I wasn't asked a difficult question like that. The bit where the examiner will ask you the unpredictable, I don't think they're allowed to speak on something as difficult? Anyways, for me, first she asked me about animal abuse, then about the death penalty and what would I do about pollution if I were the mayor of London. But it's more of a "what do you think of..." questions, where the examiner will let you speak freely instead of challenging you. On my debate topic, the counterarguments weren't even fatal.
Reply 11
I've done my A2 speaking exam 3 days ago.
I think it went excellent.
Honestly, after the debate, I wasn't asked a difficult question like that. The bit where the examiner will ask you the unpredictable, I don't think they're allowed to speak on something as difficult? Anyways, for me, first she asked me about animal abuse, then about the death penalty and what would I do about pollution if I were the mayor of London. But it's more of a "what do you think of..." questions, where the examiner will let you speak freely instead of challenging you. On my debate topic, the counterarguments weren't even fatal.

Really? I've been taught about the EU and all similar current affairs, I haven't learnt a thing about the death penalty! I feel ok for my debate, i've done loads of practice on how to respond to potential counter-arguments. Its just the other half im nervous for because she could ask anything!
Reply 12
Original post by grace26x
Really? I've been taught about the EU and all similar current affairs, I haven't learnt a thing about the death penalty! I feel ok for my debate, i've done loads of practice on how to respond to potential counter-arguments. Its just the other half im nervous for because she could ask anything!

Is your examiner your teacher? Maybe they'll ask you what you were taught so far. I was a private candidate and prepared for A-level German myself. I'm not sure whether all the examiners ask all the same questions, but those were the ones I got!
Reply 13
Is your examiner your teacher? Maybe they'll ask you what you were taught so far. I was a private candidate and prepared for A-level German myself. I'm not sure whether all the examiners ask all the same questions, but those were the ones I got!

No I had an external examiner and it was really hard! I got asked about the death penalty as well but thankfully after reading this i revised a bit of vocab for it but I still didn't have a lot to say. My debate was ok that was pretty much everything I'd prepared and I also got asked about cloning/gene technology which wasn't too bad. Some of the wording of the questions just threw me a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending