The Student Room Group

Language degrees

Hi, I want to do Spanish with a language at university, preferably German as I would really like to learn this language but struggling to find a Uni that takes German at beginners level. I'm taking Spanish alevel but not German as it didn't get offered at GCSE so couldn't take it at a level as I didn't have a GCSE, does anybody know of any unis that offer german from beginners level or how much it would cost to sit the a level privately?
Original post by secretagent98
Hi, I want to do Spanish with a language at university, preferably German as I would really like to learn this language but struggling to find a Uni that takes German at beginners level. I'm taking Spanish alevel but not German as it didn't get offered at GCSE so couldn't take it at a level as I didn't have a GCSE, does anybody know of any unis that offer german from beginners level or how much it would cost to sit the a level privately?

I've found beginners (otherwise known as ab initio) German and Spanish degrees at the following unis:

King's College London

St Andrews

University College London

York

Liverpool

Manchester

Bristol

Newcastle

Exeter

I'm sure there are others around too - best of luck in your search / application!

A lot of unis offer ab initio German with Spanish, and plenty of unis offer language courses outside of your degree if you just wanted to do a Spanish degree but still learn German at the same time.

What are your predicted grades and what sort of uni do you want to go to? The list of unis in the post above mine is probably a good place to start looking. :smile:
Cambridge do ab-initio German as well :smile:
Original post by pizzanomics
A lot of unis offer ab initio German with Spanish, and plenty of unis offer language courses outside of your degree if you just wanted to do a Spanish degree but still learn German at the same time.

What are your predicted grades and what sort of uni do you want to go to? The list of unis in the post above mine is probably a good place to start looking. :smile:

Hi, my predicted grades atm are AABC, but I haven't even sat my AS exams yet so could vary depending how they go. I don't have a clue what uni I want to go to, I just went to go somewhere that I can do languages. I did Spanish and French at GCSE and got A*s but the sixth form I go doesn't offer French do I'm just continuing with Spanish, but I would really like to do German at Uni because it's such an interesting language! :smile:
Hi, my predicted grades atm are AABC, but I haven't even sat my AS exams yet so could vary depending how they go. I don't have a clue what uni I want to go to, I just went to go somewhere that I can do languages. I did Spanish and French at GCSE and got A*s but the sixth form I go doesn't offer French do I'm just continuing with Spanish, but I would really like to do German at Uni because it's such an interesting language! :smile:

They're decent predicted grades, so I reckon if you got AAB/ABB this year you could probably achieve AAB by the end of next year which would open you up to a whole range of excellent unis to do Spanish and ab initio German.

Do you keep up your French at all or are you interested in it? Because you could always pick it up again and do a language degree with 3 languages. I'm not suggesting it (personally I wouldn't want to do 3), but from the way you phrased that it sounds like you would have carried on with French if you could.

Going back to your original point, here are a few places I've found where you can do Spanish and ab initio (beginners) German with grades of around AAB-ABB. Nottingam, Birmingham, King's College London, Manchester. I'm sure there are others out there, but this was just after a quick look.

I'll be off to Sheffield to study German with Dutch, so I had a quick look on their website too and although they offer German and Spanish (Hispanic Studies) together, it wasn't 100% clear if you could do German ab initio. Just done some very quick looking around the Sheffield website and it appears that you can do Spanish with German from beginners level, see here and here.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

Edit: See bold.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pizzanomics
They're decent predicted grades, so I reckon if you got AAB/ABB this year you could probably achieve AAB by the end of next year which would open you up to a whole range of excellent unis to do Spanish and ab initio German.

Do you keep up your French at all or are you interested in it? Because you could always pick it up again and do a language degree with 3 languages. I'm not suggesting it (personally I wouldn't want to do 3), but from the way you phrased that it sounds like you would have carried on with French if you could.

Going back to your original point, here are a few places I've found where you can do Spanish and ab initio (beginners) German with grades of around AAB-ABB.

Nottingam, Birmingham, King's College London, Manchester. I'm sure there are others out there, but this was just after a quick look.

I'll be off to Sheffield to study German with Dutch, so I had a quick look on their website too and although they offer German and Spanish (Hispanic Studies) together, it wasn't 100% clear if you could do German ab initio.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

I do keep up with French, I would love to do all 3 at Uni but I'd never really considered it. I've been teaching myself French the same things I've been learning in Spanish but obviously in French, I do really wish I could do it at a level! I haven't even thought about unis I want to go to, I just know what subjects I want to do :smile:
I do keep up with French, I would love to do all 3 at Uni but I'd never really considered it. I've been teaching myself French the same things I've been learning in Spanish but obviously in French, I do really wish I could do it at a level! I haven't even thought about unis I want to go to, I just know what subjects I want to do :smile:

If you're interested in dong all 3 then some unis do run courses where you can do all three. Sheffield run a Modern Languages BA where you can have Spanish as your main language, French as your second and German as your third/beginners.

Whatever you choose to do, you've got loads of time to make your mind up and there's looooads of options to choose from, so it's just a case of picking your languages and finding a great uni in a place you'll be happy living in for 3/4 years.

If it's important to you, it might be worth checking out where you can go on your year abroad when choosing between universities. Many unis will have partner institutions you can study at in your third year. So for example if you want to study abroad in Valencia but a uni you want to go to only has partners in Barcelona and Madrid then you might want to consider finding a uni who does have a partner in Valencia. I wouldn't make this your sole reason for choosing a course since it's a small part of the degree overall, but it might be worth taking into consideration.

Good luck with your exams. :smile:
Reply 8
There was a young lady from upstate NY, who did a journalism degree at her uni, and also took quite a few years of French. When WW2 started (this was some time ago), she signed up with the OSS [CIA predecessor], and dearly wanted to be sent to France. Instead, she was sent to Spain, a language that she spoke not a word of. She taught herself Spanish (on the ground - as it were), and spent the war there. After the war, she married a mid-level member of Spanish royalty who spoke 5 languages fairly fluently. He told her (after they were married) - that her French was so heavily corrupted by an american accent, that he could hardly understand her. Several of her husband's friends told her that her French was totally corrupt. Be careful of 'uni' language courses. Best check them out with native speakers before you invest too much time in them. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending