The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
Science. How far back does your carbon dating go?

Nay, age is just a number :moon:

Carbon dating can't be used on living beings because it's constantly naturally replenished.
Original post by chemting
eh? Carbon dating doesn't work on living creatures afaik... unless ... PC is zombie!!?!??!?

Spoiler

I definitely have the mental age of a non-adult, it's better than being a boring grown up :biggrin:
eh? Carbon dating doesn't work on living creatures ... unless ... PC is a zombie!!?!??!?

Spoiler

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nay, age is just a number :moon:

Carbon dating can't be used on living beings because it's constantly naturally replenished.

I agree with chemting. You're probably a mentally underdeveloped zombie.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
saudi arabia, the UAE, bahrain, yemen, iran, iraq, qatar, etc (and formerly afghanistan) but there is still immense pressure upon women to wear them in places like pakistan, syria, egypt, etc

Excuse me sweetie
I am an Egyptian living in Saudi Arabia and what are you are saying is completely wrong especially in Egypt .
If you have no idea sweetie , no need to state them as facts and read more about them .

Zombies would still be alive so carbon dating still wouldn't work :fyi:
Zombies would still be alive so carbon dating still wouldn't work :fyi:

Only the brain is alive. Hence, why the body rots.

Source: TWD

sorry doc, I think I need a second opinion :tongue:

He may be a zombie, he's made out of C-13 molecules... C-12 is boring and too mainstream

also, all his H molecules are really deuterium
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Saly_Elkady
Excuse me sweetie
I am an Egyptian living in Saudi Arabia and what are you are saying is completely wrong especially in Egypt .
If you have no idea sweetie , no need to state them as facts and read more about them .

surely you're joking. you're probably resting this upon some kind of cryptic technicality about how you're technically allow to not wear the hijab in some specific area of the nation. that's not the same as it not being mandatory for the rest of the country though.
If zombies can move then their bodies (muscles, nerves and bones) must be alive to allow this :yes:

If so... rip off a bit off the dead meat and analyse that. Sorry but you can't go against facts from TWD .
sorry doc, I think I need a second opinion :tongue:

He may be a zombie, he's made out of C-13 molecules... C-12 is boring and too mainstream

also, all his H molecules are really deuterium

We're full of C-13 because its natural abundance is 1.1% so you have slightly more than 1 C-13 atom for every 100 C-12 in the body :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
If so... rip off a bit off the dead meat and analyse that. Sorry but you can't go against facts from TWD .

If you rip off a bit of meat from the body then it will die, obviously. Also, the half life of C-14 is nearly 6,000 years so it is not an accurate method for something that has recently died.
We're full of C-13 because its natural abundance is 1.1% so you have slightly more 1 C-13 atom for every 100 C-12 in the body :biggrin:

Yes, but in your body its 98.9% C-13 :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, but in your body its 98.9% C-13 :tongue:

:moon:

its 11 out of every 1000 :colonhash:

You can maths :lol:
:moon:

You can maths :lol:

Not really, I'm awful at it :tongue:

you can orgo-chem ... that's far more interesting :u:
If you rip off a bit of meat from the body then it will die, obviously. Also, the half life of C-14 is nearly 6,000 years so it is not an accurate method for something that has recently died.

Woah Woah... Have you never seen any zombie apocalyptic movie/tv show? Chop off it's arms and legs and the bastards will still be craving your throats!

Spoiler

Woah Woah... Have you never seen any zombie apocalyptic movie/tv show? Chop off it's arms and legs and the bastards will still be craving your throats!

Spoiler

I was speaking about the piece of meat, that's what dies when you separate it from the body :laugh:
surely free will implies self-determinism. but if god already knows the outcome, then our actions are determined not by ourselves but by the fate of the universe which god has supposedly created, with a plan in mind. so either we *do* have free will and god *doesn't* have a divine plan or omniscience, or we don't, and he does. it wouldn't make sense otherwise. I'm not even trying to create a false-dichotomy; how can a god give us free will if he knows what we will do with it? if he has knowledge of future consequences, how is that "knowledge" if they may or may not happen via our own free will to determine these outcomes ourselves? it doesn't make sense to think that god is testing us if he is all knowing

There are certain philosophical arguments claiming that the dilemma you're creating here is effectively a false one. A simple one is that there's a distinction between inherent omniscience and total omniscience, with inherent omniscience being that God can know anything that can be known that He chooses to know. Total omniscience is where you know everything that can be known, and as such can't choose to not know things. Some theologians will argue that God is the former, and chooses to not know the future so that human free will remains intact, for the sake of whatever test he's cooking up.

Omniscience can also be defined as knowing everything that is logically possible, and from then it can be argued that it's not logical to know future events, as they're not actual things in that they don't exist yet and you can only know of things that currently exist and have existed, or some such like.
Take it off
surely you're joking. you're probably resting this upon some kind of cryptic technicality about how you're technically allow to not wear the hijab in some specific area of the nation. that's not the same as it not being mandatory for the rest of the country though.

Only in Saudi and Iran is the headscarf actually obligatory for women to wear under custom :s
Original post by Retired_Messiah
There are certain philosophical arguments claiming that the dilemma you're creating here is effectively a false one. A simple one is that there's a distinction between inherent omniscience and total omniscience, with inherent omniscience being that God can know anything that can be known that He chooses to know.

well surely you're implying that god purposely stupefies himself.

Total omniscience is where you know everything that can be known, and as such can't choose to not know things.

oh god, you are. I swear I didn't pre-read that before hand. I'm reacting as I'm reading.

Some theologians will argue that God is the former, and chooses to not know the future so that human free will remains intact, for the sake of whatever test he's cooking up.

well I guess I can only say that that's really stupid then. I mean clearly this would be a seriously delusional deity that would do that for such trivial causes. ultimatley this is a deity that chooses to play games with himself. and if this is the kind of argument that justifies this kind of god then this god is so clearly not real.

Omniscience can also be defined as knowing everything that is logically possible, and from then it can be argued that it's not logical to know future events, as they're not actual things in that they don't exist yet and you can only know of things that currently exist and have existed, or some such like.

but god exists throughout all space and time. he exists at the beginning and he exists at the end. he is beyond space and time too apparently. I don't see how he wouldn't be able to know the future when he's literally overlooking time itself

also, speaking of "logically possible", most of the bible's miracles are scientifically impossible, and science is based on mathematics applied to reality, like I told the other person - this kind of thinking is self-defeating for god
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending