The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Did anyone else find the first year of University easy?

I'm studying Business Management and this year was not much of a challenge. The work was quite difficult but there was barely any work. The period went essentially like this; 1-2 months of going to lectures > start essay and finish it in a couple days > 1-2 months > exam > 1 month > essay etc etc

Maybe I'm just very bright :smile: or my expectations were far higher. Was expecting 5000 thousand word essays every week because of all the hype of Uni being "hell" lol
I'm sure everybody at Roehampton found their exams easy
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
your degree clearly isn't challenging you enough then. Maybe you chose the wrong thing or your at the wrong place.
I agree. I actually dropped out of uni after I got my Semester 1 results because I found it too easy (although it wasn't the main reason, it was more that it was boring because it was easy, amongst other things).

After about Week 5/6 my attendance plummeted and I did all my coursework last minute (and I really mean last minute), and did a fairly average amount of revision for exams, and averaged at a low 2:1. I didn't get any work to do throughout the semester other than doing preperation for the occasional seminar, but it wasn't graded and didn't contribute to a final grade and in hindsight I probably could have got away with not doing it.

Not looking forward to the 'easiness' of first year again when I go back, but I'm sure second year onwards is where **** gets real and I'll regret typing out this post and moaning about university supposedly being easy.

Edit: Didn't realise this was in the Roehampton forum. I dropped out of a different university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lecturers and even Course leaders aren't very interested in First Years, specially at weaker institutions.
Reply 5
Original post by may_1
your degree clearly isn't challenging you enough then. Maybe you chose the wrong thing or your at the wrong place.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I'm happy and relieved this year was so relaxing and easy for me.
Reply 6
Original post by pizzanomics
I agree. I actually dropped out of uni after I got my Semester 1 results because I found it too easy (although it wasn't the main reason, it was more that it was boring because it was easy, amongst other things).

After about Week 5/6 my attendance plummeted and I did all my coursework last minute (and I really mean last minute), and did a fairly average amount of revision for exams, and averaged at a low 2:1. I didn't get any work to do throughout the semester other than doing preperation for the occasional seminar, but it wasn't graded and didn't contribute to a final grade and in hindsight I probably could have got away with not doing it.

Not looking forward to the 'easiness' of first year again when I go back, but I'm sure second year onwards is where **** gets real and I'll regret typing out this post and moaning about university supposedly being easy.

Edit: Didn't realise this was in the Roehampton forum. I dropped out of a different university.

It's the opposite for me actually. I was worried and intimidated by all the hype of Uni being hard. Had it been very difficult I would maybe failed. I'm lazy, and love my easy life. I also did my essays in the last minute lol. I actually found them quite difficult but still managed to get good grades for them.

I was thinking Uni would be harder in my second or third year. The first year doesn't count towards your degree so that's likely why there was not as much work as I expected. The essays were a pain in the ass though. Those were the worst.
Reply 7
Original post by Exceptional
I'm sure everybody at Roehampton found their exams easy

It's not just the fact that they were easy but half the questions were already in the mock exams available on moodle. All I really did was memorize the right answers for them and the formula for different sorts of questions and got over 70% lol. I barely did any revision.
First year is generally supposed to be easy as it's the year that lets you get used to university life. It's usually second year where it starts getting harder; however, it could just be because you're taking an easier degree relative to other harder science/ medical/ engineering degrees in my opinion.
Original post by Serg96
It's the opposite for me actually. I was worried and intimidated by all the hype of Uni being hard. Had it been very difficult I would maybe failed. I'm lazy, and love my easy life. I also did my essays in the last minute lol. I actually found them quite difficult but still managed to get good grades for them.

I was thinking Uni would be harder in my second or third year. The first year doesn't count towards your degree so that's likely why there was not as much work as I expected. The essays were a pain in the ass though. Those were the worst.

Oh don't get me wrong, at the beginning I loved how easy it was too because I'm so lazy it's unhealthy.. but it was a bit of a pisstake how little I actually had to do, let alone the fact I did well when I didn't do anything. Just felt like a waste of time. I just wish that it was a bit of a challenge (but not too difficult it was off-putting) so that it would keep me interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending