The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Broscientist
There is a lot of creativity and problem-solving involved when you are programming something or solving a complex maths problem.

I don't dispute it.

But you've learnt and memorised the methods of solving the problem, similar to how a History student learns dates and accounts, and applies them when forming a viewpoint on a complex event.

STEM isn't the only field to employ problem-solving skills. I might even argue that the creativity and problem-solving skills developed through STEM are lesser to those developed through arts, because in STEM there tends to be a strict method you have to go through to solve a problem, whereas in other subjects the problem-solving process tends to be more free-flowing. In the real world, there aren't often clear routes you can go through to solve a problem; it's more ambiguous.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
ofc not lol

You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.
how insecure must you be about your career prospects to have to make this thread and reassure yourself?
Maybe both sides should get down off their respective high horses?

You only have to look at the engineering marvels around the world to know that STEM involves creativity, at the same time there's no doubt in my mind that society would be a lesser place without the cultural contributions of non-STEM.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.

You dont just memorise, you understand, think logically. You cant memorise and expect even a 2:2 degree. You have to think logically.

At uni level, it isnt applying a method, its about how that has come about. The logic required isnt something a non STEM degree can teach you.

You are probably unable to fathom the depths to which you a STEM degree goes to since you use the word 'memorise' when in reality you're actually understanding core fundamentals of a subject, processing it and applying it. You dont go into the depth that a non STEM degree does and thats why STEM degrees are preferred for jobs where a specific degree subject isnt needed (e.g. Investment banking)
Original post by tanyapotter
how insecure must you be about your career prospects to have to make this thread and reassure yourself?

im not
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You're a troll but for the benefit of others, this STEM superiority attitude is nonsense that isn't really that common in reality. And before you accuse me of being a butthurt non-STEMMER, I've done a STEM Master's degree and am starting a STEM PhD in October.

Society needs the whole range of subjects and disciplines to function and be vibrant.

But a lot of the nonsense degrees are non-STEM. But yes, clearly subjects like law and philosophy are rigorous.
You dont just memorise, you understand, think logically. You cant memorise and expect even a 2:2 degree. You have to think logically.

At uni level, it isnt applying a method, its about how that has come about. The logic required isnt something a non STEM degree can teach you.

You are probably unable to fathom the depths to which you a STEM degree goes to since you use the word 'memorise' when in reality you're actually understanding core fundamentals of a subject, processing it and applying it. You dont go into the depth that a non STEM degree does and thats why STEM degrees are preferred for jobs where a specific degree subject isnt needed (e.g. Investment banking)

You mean as you do with every other subject?

This is not 'objective'. This is subjective. I mean, you're not even at university! How much can you really know about the matter?

Better question: Why are you so salty about it? :biggrin:
You mean as you do with every other subject?

This is not 'objective'. This is subjective. I mean, you're not even at university! How much can you really know about the matter?

Better question: Why are you so salty about it? :biggrin:

As i said, you cant fathom the depth that a science subject goes into.

It isnt subjective. Using your logic, a non STEM subject is as valuable as a STEM subject because they both give reasoning skills and problem solving skills. But clearly employers prefer a STEM subject over a non STEM one because of STEM is more respectable in this sense; The core skills taught is more in depth.

Im not salty, you chose to reply not me.

It isnt subjective. Using your logic, a non STEM subject is as valuable as a STEM subject because they both give reasoning skills and problem solving skills. But clearly employers prefer a STEM subject over a non STEM one because of STEM is more respectable in this sense; The core skills taught is more in depth.

Why do you even care about what other people do?

Didn't you bring up the art of memorising with your comment about Law Degrees?

It's not as if you started this thread not wanting a reply. :smile:
Why do you even care about what other people do?

So you accept im right. Good.

I dont care what individuals do, just making a statement; STEM degrees are objectively better than non STEM degrees.
Original post by JamesN88
Didn't you bring up the art of memorising with your comment about Law Degrees?

Of course
Original post by JamesN88
It's not as if you started this thread not wanting a reply. :smile:

Im implying that poster was upset because they replied.
So you accept im right. Good.

I dont care what individuals do, just making a statement; STEM degrees are objectively better than non STEM degrees.

So what was the point in making this thread? To make yourself feel better than other people? To make other people feel bad?
So what was the point in making this thread? To make yourself feel better than other people? To make other people feel bad?

I just said what the point was...

You mean this? This is the point of the thread?

I'm asking what was the point in even making the statement.
I like stems but I like petals more.

Have a petal everyone.

Petals Galore.
yawn.
Law is mostly memorising and learning things by heart but certain aspects like some game theory (prisoners dilemma etc) require skills that are more logical. So you definitely need to be intelligent to do Law and isnt on the same level as something like Sociology.

:facepalm:

-Hasn't done anything remotely similar to law
-Makes a claim which has no basis at all
-Thinks he knows it all.

The self-validation is strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
:facepalm:

-Hasn't done anything remotely similar to law
-Makes a claim which has no basis at all
-Thinks he knows it all.

The self-validation is strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where have i gone wrong exactly? And dont address me in the third person in an attempt to be patronising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending