The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by garfeeled
Because in this day and age it is the left that most often defends the rights of the minorities. And Muslims as a minority have face great discrimination and prejudice in the west and fighting that discrimination is fair and noble and one that I support. The issue is sometimes that effort leads to murk pay waters, eg working with extremist and stifling legitimate critism of the Muslim community and of Islam.

Study after study has shown Muslims world wide and in britian are simply not accepting towards homosexuality and are in fact hostile towards it

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/living%20apart%20together%20-%20jan%2007.pdf

That's not the point. We are talking about Islam not Muslims, why do they defend Islam all the time?
Original post by Omen96
Don't waste your time, ivy bridge is one of the born again Muslims, an example of the left I'm talking about, and even better he's a homosexual defending Islam, a religion which would execute him, you couldn't make it up

I do not think it is a left/right issue i think it is an autocrat vs liberal issue. The left wing supporters seem to be more liberal though. I know a left winger (My dad) who despises immigration
Reply 62
Original post by shaafay
Background, I'm a muslim, and live in the muslim world. I always tend to slide left in politics even in Pakistan and in western politics I'd always choose left. I'm not going to generalise the entire western left wing, so I'm going to focus on mostly the SJW leaning left. You know, the lefties that tend to annoy right wingers and give them the impression that the entire left is an Islamic Apologists Anonymous.

It's because the modern left seems to be hell bent on the idea that "we (as in, white people) need to kill all prejudice and stand up for the oppressed". Their crying chant has been that "Europeans have done the world a crime with the empires, and now we must never make that mistake again". Wherever there is a minority, they'll stand up.

That's where muslim comes in. They're a minority. They get harassed. Ergo, they need help. Bear in mind, that in this way, the more the right "hates" muslims, the more the left "loves" them.

Now this both annoys me and satisfies me. On one hand, it's great that there will always be people who will support me against any harassment I receive if I were to go to the west. I don't plan to force Sharia or mock them for their lifestyle, so I won't feel guilty as I didn't do anything wrong.

It annoys me, however, because I realise that the only reason the SJW lefties love me is because I'd be a minority in the "white, christian world". The Quran and Bible agree so much, yet its okay to make jokes on the Bible only.
It also annoys me because it seems to give muslims a oppressed complex. As if there aren't minority rights worse in Pakistan. As if the Arabs never traded slaves. Of course, this goes more towards Pakistan and most of the Middle East. There are muslim countries which have great minority rights. It's just that while lefties in the white world are shouting about every flaw in their system and having it fixed, us muslims are looking at those flaws and being like "ugh white people can't treat muslims well" and don't say a word about our own countries and leaving our countries unfixed. I wish there was such a left revolution in Pakistan, where we numb on every flaw in our system and have it fixed. That's why this whole "white jokes are okay" annoys ME, because it acts like only white people are on the top and oppressing people. I kinda strayed off topic, sorry.

(btw, still pissed at the right wing for Iraq and the bombs on Syria and the excessive hate towards us. It's not like i love you now lmao dw)

I still end up agreeing with the left, though, because at least they don't want me kicked out and my right to harmlessly believe attacked.

It was a left wing government who invaded Iraq and Afghanistan (centre left at least), people like Trump and Farage for all their faults are on record for not supporting it (it's a point trump always brings up against Hillary). I'm right wing and opposed the invasions from day 1, and I have a record on here of opposing the attack from the west on Assad. I believe we should let these countries destroy themselves if they want to, just block off any friction with them and let them fight each other. Centre left to centre right are the villains in this. Not the "right". The centre politics or the "establishment" are the ones responsible. Heck Hillary and Obama supported the invasions, and they are the beacons of American left wing politics aside from Bernie.

What you say is all well and good but this is a matter of ideologies. As an atheist I want to see all religions, Islam, Christianity and Judaism, in particular burn to the ground and become ash. The left on the other hand want to Burn Christianity and Judaism down but grow Islam into a world religion. That's the difference. Putting our opposite opinions aside do you think it's reasonable to support 1/3 religions which you claim to be non-progressive, justifiable? Because that is how the majority of the left act.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shaafay
Background, I'm a muslim, and live in the muslim world. I always tend to slide left in politics even in Pakistan and in western politics I'd always choose left. I'm not going to generalise the entire western left wing, so I'm going to focus on mostly the SJW leaning left. You know, the lefties that tend to annoy right wingers and give them the impression that the entire left is an Islamic Apologists Anonymous.

It's because the modern left seems to be hell bent on the idea that "we (as in, white people) need to kill all prejudice and stand up for the oppressed". Their crying chant has been that "Europeans have done the world a crime with the empires, and now we must never make that mistake again". Wherever there is a minority, they'll stand up.

That's where muslim comes in. They're a minority. They get harassed. Ergo, they need help. Bear in mind, that in this way, the more the right "hates" muslims, the more the left "loves" them.

Now this both annoys me and satisfies me. On one hand, it's great that there will always be people who will support me against any harassment I receive if I were to go to the west. I don't plan to force Sharia or mock them for their lifestyle, so I won't feel guilty as I didn't do anything wrong.

It annoys me, however, because I realise that the only reason the SJW lefties love me is because I'd be a minority in the "white, christian world". The Quran and Bible agree so much, yet its okay to make jokes on the Bible only.
It also annoys me because it seems to give muslims a oppressed complex. As if there aren't minority rights worse in Pakistan. As if the Arabs never traded slaves. Of course, this goes more towards Pakistan and most of the Middle East. There are muslim countries which have great minority rights. It's just that while lefties in the white world are shouting about every flaw in their system and having it fixed, us muslims are looking at those flaws and being like "ugh white people can't treat muslims well" and don't say a word about our own countries and leaving our countries unfixed. I wish there was such a left revolution in Pakistan, where we numb on every flaw in our system and have it fixed. That's why this whole "white jokes are okay" annoys ME, because it acts like only white people are on the top and oppressing people. I kinda strayed off topic, sorry.

(btw, still pissed at the right wing for Iraq and the bombs on Syria and the excessive hate towards us. It's not like i love you now lmao dw)

I still end up agreeing with the left, though, because at least they don't want me kicked out and my right to harmlessly believe attacked.

You have turned into to an in-depth debate about religion the islamic flow chart goes a bit like this

Muslims create a problem (ISIS) Prominently the Saudi's and Iranians- helped radicalise with their twisted teachings of Islam
ISIS start killing people- such as western aid workers
Muslims get challenged
Muslims call ISIS non muslims even though they was born Muslim
ISIS then starts killing a lot of civillians
Western countries start to bomb to help regional forces take back control from ISIS- but the Free Syrian Army are the only ones trying to fight them
The rest of the Muslims in Syria run to Europe via turkey
ISIS members follow lingering in
England are blamed for bombing ISIS to stop civilian deaths
England are then pressured by the loony liberalls to take the civillians who ran away from conflict
England is resolute only accepting limited muslims
Muslims then start whining and saving their civilians is the worst thing we could do

What a mess. Islam needs to be criticised over ISIS- NO the western world did not create ISIS- if you think Bombing and war created ISIS the east brought it on themselves for 9/11, 7/7
Original post by Omen96
Wait where did terrorism come into this? I'm talking about the violent versus in the Quran and sharia law which the left defend, don't change topic

Because, given the fact that there aren't any prominent Christian terrorists around nowadays, and the fact that both the Quran and Bible are arguably violent and equally promoting in violence, it is abundantly evident that your agenda of criticising Islam derives from the terror attacks. If no terror attacks had been committed in the name of Islam, you would not be crying about it now. So it's beyond question that this thread was made because of what you think is "Islamic terrorism".
Original post by Omen96
That's not the point. We are talking about Islam not Muslims, why do they defend Islam all the time?

But Islam relates to Muslims and as I said in an effort to legitimately protect a minority some on the left illegimatly stifle critism of Islam.
I think it comes from the support for the Palestinian cause.

Thats them. The figure still stands at 1.7 billion where 1.4 have said they identify as muslim so?
It's obviously because Islam is a religion deserved to be loved and respected.
because Islam is not right :tongue:
Original post by Oblivion99
Thats them. The figure still stands at 1.7 billion where 1.4 have said they identify as muslim so?

So it's untrue to say that people aren't leaving/haven't left Islam and to use that as a proof for Islam not being 'that bad' (which would be logically unsound even if it was true).
Reply 71
Original post by 雷尼克
Because, given the fact that there aren't any prominent Christian terrorists around nowadays, and the fact that both the Quran and Bible are arguably violent and equally promoting in violence, it is abundantly evident that your agenda of criticising Islam derives from the terror attacks. If no terror attacks had been committed in the name of Islam, you would not be crying about it now. So it's beyond question that this thread was made because of what you think is "Islamic terrorism".

Christianity is barbaric and deserves to burn

Judaism is barbaric and deserves to burn

If you read my OP you will know I hate religion with a passion so are you happy now I had to explicitly state it. Now back on topic why do the left love and accept Islam, and ignore the violence it promotes and has caused throughout history?
Reply 72
Okay, **** off now lol, I dont want to speak to you, you obviously have a problem with Islam which doesent bother me lol but you can sort it out with the loathe within you, peace dude

Clearly people having a problem with Islam does bother you and the left considering you label any criticism of Islam as racist
Reply 73
Original post by barnetlad
I think it comes from the support for the Palestinian cause.

Does that not show how small minded and petty the left are? If they are willing to change their progressive views and support a violent fascist ideology over a small political dispute, then that is pathetic by any standard
Okay, **** off now lol, I dont want to speak to you, you obviously have a problem with Islam which doesent bother me lol but you can sort it out with the loathe within you, peace dude

Good to know that you react well to politely being shown a flaw in your reasoning. :tongue:
Hmmm. Overall, since the majority of followers do not bomb and kill etc., the left probably think this is the right and peaceful version of Islam.

There's the high chance most of these guys haven't researched Islam enough to have such a firm opinion so the numbers seem to give them enough reason intially.
The left is overly defensive which is just as bad as people who are overly offensive against Islam. Perhaps the left feel sometimes that they have to compensate to balance things out. That or they are just stupid.

I can both defend and attack Islam within reason. These days I've found very few that can do that.
The left wants to respect diversity. It sees the right make horrific and idiotic generalizations about Islam, which verge on racial slurs and ethnic hatred. Therefore, it is fashionable for them to defend Islam, which implies respect. That is very different than being pro-Islam because of characteristics that you admire and wish to emulate or impose.

Your litmus test - of pronouncing an entire religion "barbaric" - is ridiculous, parochial, and crude. I would never say an entire religion is "barbaric". It is some of the people who practice it that take barbaric actions due to their interpretations. It is completely the same with some Christians: look at those in the USA who kill doctors performing abortions because they think the doctors are murderers. I would never say all Christians are barbarians because of their actions.

I have worked in Islamic countries and I can say that there are as many decent, open-minded, and well meaning people in them as you would find in the West. This is an entire aspect of Islam that I admire, but with the exception of a few defenders, you don't hear about it anymore. Instead, you get dished up stories about terrorism and cruelty, which exist but only in a tiny minority.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because the vast majority of the followers are the kindest and most respectful people you'd ever meet.
Original post by Hydeman
Good to know that you react well to politely being shown a flaw in your reasoning. :tongue:

no it wasn't even that, you're just annoying and love to merge yourselves into conversations when you're not needed. just do one, bye .

Latest

Trending

Trending