The Student Room Group

How important is hair?

Early this year my boyfriend complained that my hair was a mess. At first he started by joking and saying have I just woke up etc and then he started saying that girls usually 'do their hair' regularly but I don't seem to bother. My mum always tells me about my hair getting too long (it's a bob/shoulder length lol) but I don't know how to style it, it's very messy/curly and looks limp when straightened. Someone at work who didn't like me said outright that I had crap hair (was unprovoked) but it didn't bother me, it's just hair. Anyway I few weeks ago I took the advice of my mum and had a short do which is much easier to deal with. But now my boyfriend doesn't like it and says that it doesn't look feminine. I'm sick of my hair, I wish I didn't have any at all, in fact I'd shave it all off if it was sociably acceptable. It just never looks like other girls hair maybe I don't know how to do it but yea I've just never seen it as part of me it just gets in the way. Should I just ignore my boyfriend or is hair meant to be more important than I see it as?
Original post by Anonymous
Early this year my boyfriend complained that my hair was a mess. At first he started by joking and saying have I just woke up etc and then he started saying that girls usually 'do their hair' regularly but I don't seem to bother. My mum always tells me about my hair getting too long (it's a bob/shoulder length lol) but I don't know how to style it, it's very messy/curly and looks limp when straightened. Someone at work who didn't like me said outright that I had crap hair (was unprovoked) but it didn't bother me, it's just hair. Anyway I few weeks ago I took the advice of my mum and had a short do which is much easier to deal with. But now my boyfriend doesn't like it and says that it doesn't look feminine. I'm sick of my hair, I wish I didn't have any at all, in fact I'd shave it all off if it was sociably acceptable. It just never looks like other girls hair maybe I don't know how to do it but yea I've just never seen it as part of me it just gets in the way. Should I just ignore my boyfriend or is hair meant to be more important than I see it as?

Well I'm a girl who pretty much does nothing with her hair except wash and dry it. If people were making comments that my hair doesn't look great I would do something about it like maybe get a better shampoo or read some hair guru's tips for an hour. But that's just me being self-conscious and paranoid. So if it doesn't really bother you much then leave it how it is but if you want it to look better then read up!
Reply 2
Do what suits you, not everyone else. You are a strong, confident individual who does not need others to put you down. If your friends aren't treating you properly then you probably shouldn't have them in your life:s-smilie:

Im a boy but I don't give a sh!t about my own hair
Original post by SophiMai
Do what suits you, not everyone else. You are a strong, confident individual who does not need others to put you down.

This should be under a spoiler with "Warning: The following text may induce cringing." written above.

This whole post has been about what other people think about your hair. :frown: Let me ask you, what do you think of it?

Similarly, I don't wear make up and people are always questioning that. But I'm happy not wearing it, so I don't.

Don't let others influence you, easier said than done I know. Before your boyfriend said anything you were fine, so it seems to me the problem lies within him not you.

The only problem you have is letting others affect your mindset, after all they have the problem with your hair - not you.

I hope I haven't come across too harsh here, it's more I'm like this - people say something to me and it just gets to me. :frown:
Reply 6
Aww just do what makes you happy! Who cares what the rest think! It's your hair.
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
This should be under a spoiler with "Warning: The following text may induce cringing." written above.

Atleast copy the entire quote :K::K:
I actually used to cry on a regular basis about my hair. I had it long and it would frustrate me so much trying to style it for over an hour and still hate it after all that effort. I wanted to rip it all out. So yeah, I sympathise with you. :console:

I have a pixie cut now and couldn't give a damn if men dislike it because I like it.

I would recommend searching the internet for pictures of hair you do like. Or, if you're trusting, perhaps ask a hairdresser what would be easy for you to manage with your individual hair type?

Quick Reply

Latest