The Student Room Group

First Muslim mayor of London shows that Tories are a suicide party

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
Who do you suggest we vote for instead? Genuine question. I am never voting Labour or Lib Dem. But I no longer feel like any party represents me so I have no idea who to vote for next election (I have always voted Conservative)

Vote for UKIP.

They described benefit claimants as parasites.
They want to privatize the NHS.
They're keen on a strong military.
They insist they aren't prejudice against anyone but love getting caught doing so.
Original post by FredOrJohn

Khan won because Labour played the "Obama" card of "first Muslim" (even though Khan is not a muslim in any meaningful sense) and Goldsmith lost because making Khan out to be a "radical" was just laughable in all senses of the world.

Neither Labour nor Sadiq made a big deal about him being the "first Muslim".

The main branding approach for Sadiq was:
- I'm a Londoner and London made me what I am today
- I'm the son of a bus driver (to contrast with Zac's privilege)

Sadiq knows the complexity of politics in different ethnic communities in London and if he had pushed too hard on the Muslim card it would have backfired in some other communities.

Which is why it was seen by Zac's campaign as a potential weakness - Zac's team were focusing on groups that might have been suspicious of a Muslim with their targeted mail campaigns (telling Indians that Sadiq wanted to steal their jewellery etc).

In the end it was the Conservatives: not only Zac but the PM in the House of Commons, and Michael Fallon, who were making a far bigger deal about Sadiq being a Muslim than he did himself.

Also I've noticed since his election, it's been the right wing that has made far more of an issue about "Muslim mayor of London" than Sadiq has.
Reply 22
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Vote for UKIP.They described benefit claimants as parasites.They want to privatize the NHS.They're keen on a strong military.They insist they aren't prejudice against anyone but love getting caught doing so.

Original post by infairverona
Who do you suggest we vote for instead? Genuine question. I am never voting Labour or Lib Dem. But I no longer feel like any party represents me so I have no idea who to vote for next election (I have always voted Conservative)

UKIP or more to the right. "Conservatives" have shown that they cannot be trusted on immigration all over Europe.

As we speak, the "far right" is taking over the Republican party in the USA. Open borders Bushism, the neocons and Paul Ryan/globalists are packing up. If Trumpism wins in November (will be hard due to the changed demographics), the GOP will turn into a Buchanan-style, nationalist party with Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions as the two most prominent figures.

I hope for Brexit and a breakthrough in Austria the 22th.

People seem to be realizing that the so called "center right" is just a light extreme left.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Neither Labour nor Sadiq made a big deal about him being the "first Muslim".

The main branding approach for Sadiq was:
- I'm a Londoner and London made me what I am today
- I'm the son of a bus driver (to contrast with Zac's privilege)

Sadiq knows the complexity of politics in different ethnic communities in London and if he had pushed too hard on the Muslim card it would have backfired in some other communities.

Which is why it was seen by Zac's campaign as a potential weakness - Zac's team were focusing on groups that might have been suspicious of a Muslim with their targeted mail campaigns (telling Indians that Sadiq wanted to steal their jewellery etc).

In the end it was the Conservatives: not only Zac but the PM in the House of Commons, and Michael Fallon, who were making a far bigger deal about Sadiq being a Muslim than he did himself.

Also I've noticed since his election, it's been the right wing that has made far more of an issue about "Muslim mayor of London" than Sadiq has.

Actually that is incorrect. The BBC calls Khan "First Muslim Mayor" as that is how Khan started his campaign, on the tail of Obama.
Khan's campaign got into full swing in the summer of 2015.
This is what he said via Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/02/a-muslim-mayor-of-london-would-send-message-to-the-haters-says-sadiq-khan
A Muslim mayor of London would 'send message to the haters', says Sadiq Khan

Basically saying if you don't vote for me you are islamophobic.... What really sticks in my throat is that no way in a zillion years is Khan a muslim in any real sense of the word (eg on every issue there is from Sharia Law to Same Sex Marriage).

London has been conned into voting Khan for all the wrong reasons. What an awful mess..
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually that is incorrect. The BBC calls Khan "First Muslim Mayor" as that is how Khan started his campaign, on the tail of Obama.
Khan's campaign got into full swing in the summer of 2015.
This is what he said via Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/02/a-muslim-mayor-of-london-would-send-message-to-the-haters-says-sadiq-khan
A Muslim mayor of London would 'send message to the haters', says Sadiq Khan

Basically saying if you don't vote for me you are islamophobic.... What really sticks in my throat is that no way in a zillion years is Khan a muslim in any real sense of the word (eg on every issue there is from Sharia Law to Same Sex Marriage).

London has been conned into voting Khan for all the wrong reasons. What an awful mess..

The media has done the first Muslim mayor idea because the media like to create stories about "firsts". Hence there was far more coverage of Ruth Davidson's sexuality than Kezia Dugdale's.

But if course it is nonsense anyway. There have been plenty of Muslim ceremonial mayors. More relevantly the executive mayor of Tower Hamlets from 2010-2015 Lutfur Rahman was Muslim. Only if you say that he was the first Muslim elected mayor of London is it true but you could equally say that one third of all elected mayors of London have been Muslim.
Original post by nulli tertius
The media has done the first Muslim mayor idea because the media like to create stories about "firsts". Hence there was far more coverage of Ruth Davidson's sexuality than Kezia Dugdale's.

But if course it is nonsense anyway. There have been plenty of Muslim ceremonial mayors. More relevantly the executive mayor of Tower Hamlets from 2010-2015 Lutfur Rahman was Muslim. Only if you say that he was the first Muslim elected mayor of London is it true but you could equally say that one third of all elected mayors of London have been Muslim.

Ruth Davidson is a good example - she is what it says on the label - Khan is not.

If he starts his campaign saying "I'm a Muslim" then he should have to say WHY? what are his views on homosexuality? Women not wearing veils? Sharia Law? Sex abuse? Underage Marriage? forced Marriage? Apostasy? female genital mutilation? If you are going to use "your" (lol) religion to win the election then you should have to answer the questions otherwise its a con trick.

My objection is Khan playing the religious card while everyone knows he is not religious in any meaningful way

Blair had to answer difficult questions on his religion - and quite rightly so. But we all knew it was not a con, he really did convert to become a Catholic - He was what it said on the label - Khan is not. Its a con.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ruth Davidson is a good example - she is what it says on the label - Khan is not.

If he starts his campaign saying "I'm a Muslim" then he should have to say WHY? what are his views on homosexuality? Women not wearing veils? Sharia Law? Sex abuse? Underage Marriage? forced Marriage? Apostasy? female genital mutilation? If you are going to use "your" (lol) religion to win the election then you should have to answer the questions otherwise its a con trick.

My objection is Khan playing the religious card while everyone knows he is not religious in any meaningful way

Blair had to answer difficult questions on his religion - and quite rightly so. But we all knew it was not a con, he really did convert to become a Catholic - He was what it said on the label - Khan is not. Its a con.

But what about Major's or Cameron's Anglicanism, both fairly nominal. Major probably thought the principal role of an Anglican vicar was to act as umpire in village cricket.

But of course that is how the British like religion and Khan's Islam fits with that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
But what about Major's or Cameron's Anglicanism, both fairly nominal. Major probably thought the principal role of an Anglican vicar was to act as umpire in village cricket.

But of course that is how the British like religion and Khan's Islam fits with that.

Neither Major or Cameron used religion (as far as I know) to win an election.
Khan did and thus he should have been forced by the media to acknowledge the great problems within that religion. Instead it was all "jolly and nice" - the media gave Khan the job.
Reply 28
I have an unshakeable feeling that there is going to be at least one assassination attempt on Khan

Look how close the mayor gets to Londoners, how predictable and accessible his movements are and imagine how many people there must be who would like to hurt London's first muslim mayor

and if that happens it will have a large impact on politicians' accessibility to the public
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by plstudent
This thread is primarily directed to Tories.

First Muslim mayor of London and the cuckservatives keep digging their own grave with mass immigration. Merkel, Cameron, Reinfeldt, etc. are NOT conservatives. People who continue with the policies of mass asylum and mass immigration are not and will never be true conservatives. They do not conserve anything, not even their own political power.

Look what happened to the Republicans with minorities in the USA. They have to claim they will grant citizenship to criminals to have a chance to get elected.

Stop voting for these fake "right wing" suicide parties.

What... point are you trying to make exactly?

What's this got to do with suicide? What issues do you have with him being mayor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending