The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start studying to get an A?

I've had a ton of coursework to do and so I haven't really been studying as much as I should have. If I start studying now a lot, is it too late to get an A? This is for all subjects, involving Maths, Chemistry, Physics, etc.

Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

NOO. Its not too late, if you start a strict revision ethic then it'll be easy for you to get A's :smile: I revised for some of mine, last year, the night before and came out with A*'s :P
Reply 2
You better start revising and find out!
Reply 3
Original post by Oblivion99
NOO. Its not too late, if you start a strict revision ethic then it'll be easy for you to get A's :smile: I revised for some of mine, last year, the night before and came out with A*'s :P

Really? Thank you. That is so relieving! And well done by the way! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Shumaya
You better start revising and find out!

Thanks. I guess so. :smile:
Original post by #_#
I've had a ton of coursework to do and so I haven't really been studying as much as I should have. If I start studying now a lot, is it too late to get an A? This is for all subjects, involving Maths, Chemistry, Physics, etc.

Nope, just make sure you're doing the right things...

Maths just go over past papers and find out what udk how to do or are bad at and do some practice on those questions..make sure you do at least 5 or 6 papers before your exam which ain't that hard considering each paper will take about 1hr each

Science just go over subject specification, find what you don't know and study it. when you're confident do a past paper and see what you get

I've done alot of Maths papers..still scared for physics and chemistry tho lool, revised but nothing's going in!!
Reply 6
Original post by ammarabbas
Nope, just make sure you're doing the right things...

Maths just go over past papers and find out what udk how to do or are bad at and do some practice on those questions..make sure you do at least 5 or 6 papers before your exam which ain't that hard considering each paper will take about 1hr each

Science just go over subject specification, find what you don't know and study it. when you're confident do a past paper and see what you get

I've done alot of Maths papers..still scared for physics and chemistry tho lool, revised but nothing's going in!!

Hiya

Oh okay, that's helpful. :smile:

I'm so scared for chemistry and Physics too! I'm on AQA and our school literally only just changed exam board recently so I don't have long to cover the content. I'm so scared too! What exam board are you with?

Same, I don't remember things as easily and when I do revise, I can't recall most of what I just covered!
Original post by #_#
Hiya

Oh okay, that's helpful. :smile:

I'm so scared for chemistry and Physics too! I'm on AQA and our school literally only just changed exam board recently so I don't have long to cover the content. I'm so scared too! What exam board are you with?

Same, I don't remember things as easily and when I do revise, I can't recall most of what I just covered!

i'm edexcel igcse.. you should be fine with AQA, I've seen some of their past papers and they tend to be simpler than other boards, i'm sure you'll be able to find their specification and past papers on their site or other past paper websites, good luck for your exams :smile:
Reply 8
For maths watch hegarty maths. His video are SO GOOD and he goes through actual exam questions and teaches you simple methods. Watch his gcse playlist on youtube to get you started them move on to the other topics on his website
Original post by #_#

Hi!

I wont type her and lie you and say you'll get all As just like that. You and I both know its going to take a ****ton of work to get good grades in those subjects with little time left

But Im not going to be pessimistic either, you CAN DO IT< just make sure you segment your time well, do TONS OF PAST PAPERS and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

[video="youtube;FMug2TPuWAE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMug2TPuWAE[/video]

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ammarabbas
i'm edexcel igcse.. you should be fine with AQA, I've seen some of their past papers and they tend to be simpler than other boards, i'm sure you'll be able to find their specification and past papers on their site or other past paper websites, good luck for your exams :smile:

Thank you. And you too. I hope you do really well. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ForestShadow
Hi!

I wont type her and lie you and say you'll get all As just like that. You and I both know its going to take a ****ton of work to get good grades in those subjects with little time left

But Im not going to be pessimistic either, you CAN DO IT< just make sure you segment your time well, do TONS OF PAST PAPERS and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

Thank you. That's good advice. I especially liked the gifs and pictures. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by s.mo
For maths watch hegarty maths. His video are SO GOOD and he goes through actual exam questions and teaches you simple methods. Watch his gcse playlist on youtube to get you started them move on to the other topics on his website

Does he cover everything? I heard of him but didn't know he was that good. I'll check him out. Thanks.
Original post by #_#
Thank you. That's good advice. I especially liked the gifs and pictures. :smile:

Ive added a video...good luck!!
Reply 14
Original post by ForestShadow
Ive added a video...good luck!!

Thank you. I'll be sure to watch it! :smile:
Nothing is impossible if you put effort and dedication to it :redface:
Why don't you try open book mock? So have your revision notes/textbook out in front of you and do a past paper and if you get stuck on the question try and think what topic it relates to and find that specific topic in your notes or textbook then revise that. Once you've revised that topic go back to the question and try to answer it :smile: After all that check the mark scheme and correct your mistakes. This you're getting past papers done and you're revising at the same time!

Don't waste time making notes in my opinion because it's too late you can try to note down like key points or points you know you'll forget and revise that :smile: For Chemistry try making a mind map to link all ideas together and maybe include relalife situations as in exams they ask a lot of applications questions!
Reply 16
Original post by FemaleBo55
Nothing is impossible if you put effort and dedication to it :redface:
Why don't you try open book mock? So have your revision notes/textbook out in front of you and do a past paper and if you get stuck on the question try and think what topic it relates to and find that specific topic in your notes or textbook then revise that. Once you've revised that topic go back to the question and try to answer it :smile: After all that check the mark scheme and correct your mistakes. This you're getting past papers done and you're revising at the same time!

Don't waste time making notes in my opinion because it's too late you can try to note down like key points or points you know you'll forget and revise that :smile: For Chemistry try making a mind map to link all ideas together and maybe include relalife situations as in exams they ask a lot of applications questions!

I've never tried one of those! Do i not stick to the time limit then? That method seems effective. Does this work for all subjects?

I guess those methods would work really well actually. Thank you.
Original post by #_#
I've never tried one of those! Do i not stick to the time limit then? That method seems effective. Does this work for all subjects?

I guess those methods would work really well actually. Thank you.

No you dont stick to the time limit for that method. Try it out! I'm doing it for Biology and Chemistry and it's helpful!
You could also try to do a "walking talking mock" after that method :tongue: So you answer one whole question (including the a.b,c subquestions) in timed conditions. For example say in a past apper the whole of question 1 was worth 15marks. You then put your timer on for 15mins and answer it without looking at the book or anything purely using your knowledge. Only after 15mins you can check the marks scheme and then try and find out what you got wrong and why you got it wrong (then go off reading that topic maybe? as an addition). You keep doing tha until you finished your paper :smile:
Go revise now.
And do some past papers, then you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest