The Student Room Group

AS Bio, Chem, Physics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by h8skoooooool
Why are we doing this to ourselves :cry: :cry: :cry: gonna fail these new specs tbh

I'm on a tipping point right now, these last few weeks are make or break.
Reply 21
Original post by champ_mc99
Same here. Annoying this is with GCSE I saw improvement but now it's just fluctuating but mainly all bad.

To be honest, I thought I was going to fail my gcse's but I ended up getting good grades. I though a level cant be that bad...
that was my BIG mistake.
I'm struggling because of my mental attitude towards a level.
Original post by RedRosesBloom
Yes, for chemistry, what about you? :smile:

Chem and bio!
Original post by runningcat
Practicals: I tend to make notes on what we do in class and remember every detail of what was taught that lesson, and try to apply it to the question.

Yeah, same I think it's just the fact that there is only one set of specimen papers so we've no idea what to expect beyond what's on that
I'm on a tipping point right now, these last few weeks are make or break.

Yeah so much to revise and so little time! Sucks when I've also got maths and further maths to revise :colonhash:

It's annoying because I can do fine on the old spec papers but then I absolutely flopped my mocks
Reply 25
Original post by TheHobbit
Yeah, same I think it's just the fact that there is only one set of specimen papers so we've no idea what to expect beyond what's on that

Specimen is apparently the hardest it can get 'say the teachers''
Personally, I think the exam is going to be more practical based if anything else because they really can test us on a lot of skill there.
Reply 26
Yeah so much to revise and so little time! Sucks when I've also got maths and further maths to revise :colonhash:

It's annoying because I can do fine on the old spec papers but then I absolutely flopped my mocks

We are the so-called guinea pigs of the new specification. I would have preferred last years spec, where each unit was a paper, you'd know exactly what to focus on..
but.. we aren't doing it like that anymore.

so we either revise our socks off and do well, or contemplate the what we dread the most.
Reply 27
I have quite a few notes to condense as well, hopefully we get it done with time to spare! *fingers crossed* Good Luck!

Good luck to you too!

On the note of practical exams, how has anyone's school prepared them for said practical examination in the exams? Have you been given any resources? How are you preparing for them yourself?

My school quite literally doesn't have a clue about any of it, it's laughable until you realise that if they did it'd be relatively easier.
Anybody doing these courses, in the run up to the exams, its under 4 weeks roughly. how are you all finding it?
revision going as planned?

good revision website www.technocratnotes.com

and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

can you add this to your original post please so that any new ppl to the thread see this. thanks
I'm just trying to make sure I know all the core practicals well as possible
Reply 30
Original post by Kozmo
Good luck to you too!

On the note of practical exams, how has anyone's school prepared them for said practical examination in the exams? Have you been given any resources? How are you preparing for them yourself?

My school quite literally doesn't have a clue about any of it, it's laughable until you realise that if they did it'd be relatively easier.

Are you talking about actually doing the practical exam? or the practical questions that will come up in the paper?

Because we go through the questions they might ask us to do and we go through the practicals step by step. by the end we have a folder full of all the practicals that we need to now and what they expect us to do
Reply 31
Original post by SolomonP

It's a good idea to have notes of the practicals and questions about them in one file so you can look back and be able to recall much better.
Reply 32
Are you talking about actually doing the practical exam? or the practical questions that will come up in the paper?

Because we go through the questions they might ask us to do and we go through the practicals step by step. by the end we have a folder full of all the practicals that we need to now and what they expect us to do

The practical questions that will come up in the paper. Sorry, I didn't make that too clear.
Original post by Kozmo
The practical questions that will come up in the paper. Sorry, I didn't make that too clear.

It's a good idea to have notes of the practicals and questions about them in one file so you can look back and be able to recall much better.

Original post by SolomonP

Original post by nickg15b
good revision website www.technocratnotes.com

and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

can you add this to your original post please so that any new ppl to the thread see this. thanks

Original post by TheHobbit

Are you guys doing any past papers apart from the specimens ? I tried doing some but it is very difficult to differentiate between what is no longer on the spec and what is , any tips ? Or should i just keep going over the specimens ?Thanks
Original post by nihil_nimis
Are you guys doing any past papers apart from the specimens ? I tried doing some but it is very difficult to differentiate between what is no longer on the spec and what is , any tips ? Or should i just keep going over the specimens ?Thanks

I am. For physics and chemistry, the spec has barely changed so it's all pretty relevant. However, I think biology is significantly different, so past papers and separate practice questions are both necessary. This is all AQA btw
The mark schemes are RIDICULOUS, even if you have the knowledge, missing certain words means 0 marks.
6 marks in GCSE, 0 for AS-Level.
We still haven't finished Biology yet go on study leave in 6 days, great....
Reply 36
Original post by monkcatcher
The mark schemes are RIDICULOUS, even if you have the knowledge, missing certain words means 0 marks.
6 marks in GCSE, 0 for AS-Level.
We still haven't finished Biology yet go on study leave in 6 days, great....

I know exactly what you mean. we are not alone in that. even the teachers who have looked at the mark schemes and specimen papers cant believe how hard it actually is to get the marks.
I know exactly what you mean. we are not alone in that. even the teachers who have looked at the mark schemes and specimen papers cant believe how hard it actually is to get the marks.

Yeah haha, i'm hoping that the grade boundaries will be reflective, 60/80 for a C grade hmm
Reply 38
Original post by monkcatcher
Yeah haha, i'm hoping that the grade boundaries will be reflective, 60/80 for a C grade hmm

That sounds reasonable, lets hope the examiners are too
That sounds reasonable, lets hope the examiners are too

Oh lol I was thinking more like unrealistic :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending