The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
You did a putnam question? :rofl: - Sure, no problemo (if I can even wrap my head around it... :tongue: )

haha well it seemed a little challenging but wasnt too bad, isnt it the Americans version of STEP/ Olympiad sort of stuff?
Reply 1961
Original post by EnglishMuon
haha well it seemed a little challenging but wasnt too bad, isnt it the Americans version of STEP/ Olympiad sort of stuff?

It's aimed at American undergraduates. :tongue: :lol:
Original post by Zacken

oh haha well I thought it was strange they required you to know about Cayley-Hamilton theorem (atleast I needed it for my solution, perhaps missed an easier way) :tongue:
Reply 1963
oh haha well I thought it was strange they required you to know about Cayley-Hamilton theorem (atleast I needed it for my solution, perhaps missed an easier way) :tongue:

EnglishMuon at King's: Zain, mate - the worst thing happened. I was writing my shopping list and accidentally solved the Riemann Hypothesis. :frown: fml why does this happen to me

:tongue:
Original post by Zacken
EnglishMuon at King's: Zain, mate - the worst thing happened. I was writing my shopping list and accidentally solved the Riemann Hypothesis. :frown: fml why does this happen to me

:tongue:

PRSOM :rofl: Im literally crying XD
Original post by englishmuon
talking about doing maths, please would you look over my solution to a putnam question later?

wtf dude
Original post by Zacken

Tbh that may as well include you guys, looking at the kind of things you do.
Original post by Student403
wtf dude

I dont think it was one of the hard ones. It helped that I was talking to Zain about some of the theorems I used only a couple days ago :smile:
I dont think it was one of the hard ones. It helped that I was talking to Zain about some of the theorems I used only a couple days ago :smile:

The name's still Putnam :tongue:
How did you revise the month before?
Talking about doing maths, please would you look over my solution to a Putnam question later?

I will have a look. I like putnam ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I will have a look. I like putnam ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wat problem is it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Wat problem is it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

problem B3 on 2015 paper
Well here is some of my working so far so hopefully it isnt completely wrong!
B3

Let M=(aa+da+2da+3d) \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a+d} \\ {a+2d} & {a+3d} \end{pmatrix}
By Cayley-Hamilton theorem, M satisfies its own characteristic polynomial (if thats the correct term for it):
MλI=λ2(2a+3d)λ2d2 | \mathbf{M} - \lambda \mathbf{I} | = \lambda ^{2} - (2a+3d) \lambda -2d^{2} on simplification. Hence M2(2a+3d)M2d2I=0 \mathbf{M} ^{2} - (2a+3d) \mathbf{M} -2d^{2} \mathbf{I} = \mathbf{0}

Now this is the part that maybe could be written better but idk.

Let d=0 d=0 so M=(aaaa),M2=2aM \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a} \\ {a} & {a} \end{pmatrix} , \mathbf{M}^{2} = 2a \mathbf{M} . Then clearly every power of M also has elements of an arithmetic progression 0, hence M=(aaaa)S \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a} \\ {a} & {a} \end{pmatrix} \in S

Now let d=2a3 d= - \frac{2a}{3} : M=(aa3a3a),M2=2d2I \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & { \frac{a}{3}} \\ {- \frac{a}{3}} & {-a} \end{pmatrix}, \mathbf{M}^{2} = 2d^{2} \mathbf{I} . Consider M^3: M3=(2ad22ad2+2d32ad2+4d32ad2+6d3) \mathbf{M}^{3}= \begin{pmatrix} {2ad^{2}} & {2ad^{2} + 2d^{3}} \\ {2ad^{2} + 4d^{3}} & {2ad^{2} + 6d^{3}} \end{pmatrix} which also has 'arithmetic elements' so (aa3a3a)S \begin{pmatrix} a & { \frac{a}{3}} \\ {- \frac{a}{3}} & {-a} \end{pmatrix} \in S .

I think these two types of matrix satisfy all of the elements of our set S, so Im now trying to prove that all our elements take the form. I havent got a solution yet but Ive got a couple of ideas Im looking in to, but not sure if I know enough about vector spaces to do it properly or not. I was thinking something along the lines of writing our general solution as Mk=((aa+da+2da+3d))k=(a(1111)+d(0123))kS \mathbf{M}^{k} = ( \begin{pmatrix} a & {a+d} \\ {a+2d} & {a+3d} \end{pmatrix})^{k}= ( a \begin{pmatrix} 1 & {1} \\ {1} & {1} \end{pmatrix} + d \begin{pmatrix} 0 & {1} \\ {2} & {3} \end{pmatrix})^{k} \in S but not convinced of the follow up (if there even is one).

Yeah there are some not-that-difficult Putnam problems but most are acknowledged to be very difficult. I've done a few of the easier ones since my Calculus text is American :tongue:. (I've therefore done quite a few AIME problems and the like, which are really fun :smile:.)
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yeah there are some not-that-difficult Putnam problems but most are acknowledged to be very difficult. I've done a few of the easier ones since my Calculus text is American :tongue:. (I've therefore done quite a few AIME problems and the like, which are really fun :smile:.)

ah nice. But yeah that problem still seems hard to get a full refined solution. Ive got the general thing down on paper now but its far from floor proof with 0 assumptions :tongue:. Which calculus text do you use btw?
ah nice. But yeah that problem still seems hard to get a full refined solution. Ive got the general thing down on paper now but its far from floor proof with 0 assumptions :tongue:. Which calculus text do you use btw?

AoPS, really nice rigorous treatment of Calculus, but only halfway through since I have done any for a while due to STEP etc.

Having a look at a page called 'Easy Putnam problems' now since I don't have too much confidence in my ability lol:
http://www.math.northwestern.edu/~mlerma/problem_solving/putnam/easy_putnam_problems.pdf
The last one looks interesting, might try it now :smile:.
Well here is some of my working so far so hopefully it isnt completely wrong!
B3

Let M=(aa+da+2da+3d) \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a+d} \\ {a+2d} & {a+3d} \end{pmatrix}
By Cayley-Hamilton theorem, M satisfies its own characteristic polynomial (if thats the correct term for it):
MλI=λ2(2a+3d)λ2d2 | \mathbf{M} - \lambda \mathbf{I} | = \lambda ^{2} - (2a+3d) \lambda -2d^{2} on simplification. Hence M2(2a+3d)M2d2I=0 \mathbf{M} ^{2} - (2a+3d) \mathbf{M} -2d^{2} \mathbf{I} = \mathbf{0}

Now this is the part that maybe could be written better but idk.

Let d=0 d=0 so M=(aaaa),M2=2aM \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a} \\ {a} & {a} \end{pmatrix} , \mathbf{M}^{2} = 2a \mathbf{M} . Then clearly every power of M also has elements of an arithmetic progression 0, hence M=(aaaa)S \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & {a} \\ {a} & {a} \end{pmatrix} \in S

Now let d=2a3 d= - \frac{2a}{3} : M=(aa3a3a),M2=2d2I \mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} a & { \frac{a}{3}} \\ {- \frac{a}{3}} & {-a} \end{pmatrix}, \mathbf{M}^{2} = 2d^{2} \mathbf{I} . Consider M^3: M3=(2ad22ad2+2d32ad2+4d32ad2+6d3) \mathbf{M}^{3}= \begin{pmatrix} {2ad^{2}} & {2ad^{2} + 2d^{3}} \\ {2ad^{2} + 4d^{3}} & {2ad^{2} + 6d^{3}} \end{pmatrix} which also has 'arithmetic elements' so (aa3a3a)S \begin{pmatrix} a & { \frac{a}{3}} \\ {- \frac{a}{3}} & {-a} \end{pmatrix} \in S .

I think these two types of matrix satisfy all of the elements of our set S, so Im now trying to prove that all our elements take the form. I havent got a solution yet but Ive got a couple of ideas Im looking in to, but not sure if I know enough about vector spaces to do it properly or not. I was thinking something along the lines of writing our general solution as Mk=((aa+da+2da+3d))k=(a(1111)+d(0123))kS \mathbf{M}^{k} = ( \begin{pmatrix} a & {a+d} \\ {a+2d} & {a+3d} \end{pmatrix})^{k}= ( a \begin{pmatrix} 1 & {1} \\ {1} & {1} \end{pmatrix} + d \begin{pmatrix} 0 & {1} \\ {2} & {3} \end{pmatrix})^{k} \in S but not convinced of the follow up (if there even is one).

Looking good.

Ideas

Spoiler

problem B3 on 2015 paper

Matrices, na boring lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending