The Student Room Group

GCSE ICT Edexcel 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaz,
Which CAB did you do? I have my Music Festival due in for Monday :cry2:

Yeah I did this one
Original post by history fanatic
9 days left till the exam. How's everyone feeling?

Am I the only one who still feels super unprepared for this? I keep putting ICT revision aside :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite confident, I've revised more than I have than a lot of other subjects, so determined to get an A*. Just need to do 2 more past papers!
You don't need to revise for ICT. I got 74/80 on the mock exam with no revision.
Original post by Antediluvian
You don't need to revise for ICT. I got 74/80 on the mock exam with no revision.

Lol we got the same grade!! Was it the June 2015 paper?

And tbh yeah, but I feel like this year's paper is going to be more harsh. Idk why haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. It was the June 2015 paper.
Original post by Antediluvian

Lol we got the same grade!! Was it the June 2015 paper?

And tbh yeah, but I feel like this year's paper is going to be more harsh. Idk why haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg teach me your ways please. In our mock the last question was cut out because there was only a 1hour slot for ICT and I got 81% but I'm not too sure how!!

Also in my school last year only 4/120 students got an A* because the coursework marks had been pulled down so drastically!!! The year before this they got around 80!!!

What revision guides do you guys use??
Original post by worksmartnothard
omg teach me your ways please. In our mock the last question was cut out because there was only a 1hour slot for ICT and I got 81% but I'm not too sure how!!

Also in my school last year only 4/120 students got an A* because the coursework marks had been pulled down so drastically!!! The year before this they got around 80!!!

What revision guides do you guys use??

Hey, do you own:

Revise Edexcel: Edexcel GCSE ICT Revision Guide by Nicky Hughes and David Waller (it's in purple)

It really helps me understand everything. Tbh I'm not very confident for this upcoming exam tho because I haven't really been studying for it:/

Ps: Make sure you look at the technology update because they might ask something from there that you haven't studied in class. I need to check it too haha

And same here with my school!!! 0 students got an A* last year for the subject, yet about 8 got it in 2014 (out of say around 50) Why are they pulling the CW grades down??? D:

Hope we're lucky this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, do you own:

Revise Edexcel: Edexcel GCSE ICT Revision Guide by Nicky Hughes and David Waller (it's in purple)

It really helps me understand everything. Tbh I'm not very confident for this upcoming exam tho because I haven't really been studying for it:/

Ps: Make sure you look at the technology update because they might ask something from there that you haven't studied in class. I need to check it too haha

And same here with my school!!! 0 students got an A* last year for the subject, yet about 8 got it in 2014 (out of say around 50) Why are they pulling the CW grades down??? D:

Hope we're lucky this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do use this guide but my friends had pointed out to me that there is a disclaimer in the front of the book saying that it does not cover everything on the course!?

What technology update is this and where can I find it lol

My teachers were so devastated about the results because many people did actually get an a* on the test but it was their coursework that pulled them down... I'm hoping they've learnt from their mistakes last year and made sure they have covered everything necessary with my year haha... fingers crossed...
I do use this guide but my friends had pointed out to me that there is a disclaimer in the front of the book saying that it does not cover everything on the course!?

What technology update is this and where can I find it lol

My teachers were so devastated about the results because many people did actually get an a* on the test but it was their coursework that pulled them down... I'm hoping they've learnt from their mistakes last year and made sure they have covered everything necessary with my year haha... fingers crossed...

Read the first post of this thread, I have the technology update linked there. Basically the technology update is a document edexcel posts with advancements to technology and stuff they expect us to know for the exam. Just read through it and understand the stuff. (Although tbh most things are already in that purple guide)

And omg I've been relying on that purple book. If it doesn't cover everything I'm so screwed haha. But yeah, past papers should be of use. Do you have the old orange textbook? Maybe you can go through the chapters there one by one.

Oh and have you checked out the flash cards one of the users from here posted? Read the earlier posts of this thread and you'll find them. They're quite good tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Read the first post of this thread, I have the technology update linked there. Basically the technology update is a document edexcel posts with advancements to technology and stuff they expect us to know for the exam. Just read through it and understand the stuff. (Although tbh most things are already in that purple guide)

And omg I've been relying on that purple book. If it doesn't cover everything I'm so screwed haha. But yeah, past papers should be of use. Do you have the old orange textbook? Maybe you can go through the chapters there one by one.

Oh and have you checked out the flash cards one of the users from here posted? Read the earlier posts of this thread and you'll find them. They're quite good tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for this! I will definitely check out that link.

It's so frustrating isn't it! I think I might just use past papers as well to find any extra relevant info... My teacher did show us the orange textbook but there's no way I can cover it with a week to go lol.

They are very good but again, they're just notes from the purple textbook...

I'm so scared for this exam >.<
Thank you so much for this! I will definitely check out that link.

It's so frustrating isn't it! I think I might just use past papers as well to find any extra relevant info... My teacher did show us the orange textbook but there's no way I can cover it with a week to go lol.

They are very good but again, they're just notes from the purple textbook...

I'm so scared for this exam >.<

Same here. :frown: It's so close!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need some help to revise for GCSE IT exam!
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Is anyone else's ICT teacher awful?

same my teacher is ****ing awful
Original post by Tabath
Hi

My son has is in yr10 doing his ICT CA now, the animal sanctuary one. He has just moved to this school and despite being grade A in Maths he has been put in the lower ability ICT class as the other two are full and they won't move anyone. However the school deny there is any setting as all the classes take the same exam. However I am concerned as the class teacher seems satisfied that my sons coursework is at B/C grade at the moment as that is one of the best in the class and he is not being pushed. He already has an ECDL so he skills are fine, but he has been given no idea of how much work he should be doing to get an A, or what criteria his CA needs to meet. Can anyone provide a link to anything that will give me an idea of what an A grade CA should contain? What criteria it must meet to get that grade and how much content it needs to have? My son knows that the other two classes have at least double the number of survey responses that his class have in their CAs.

Thanks for any help.

I just got an approximate A grade on my animal shelter coursework. I'll go through what my teacher told me.

Activity 1:
-Make sure reviews are as detailed as possible. Don't waffle but get straight to the point but explain. Don't just describe what you did, EXPLAIN it. Give reasons. Also, explain why you DIDN'T do something. This is just as important as saying why you did do something.
-Make your products look professional. Think about professional logos etc and apply that.
-I got minimal survey responses but still got an OK grade. It's not quantity, it's quality. Explain in reviews about having less results and how you could improve in the future. Also explain this in the evaluation.

Activity 2:
-Again, detail on the activity review. I can't stress how important this is.
-For the model, complexity is key. Absolutely vital. Add VLOOKUPs and SUMIF and data validations where possible and make sure ALL CALCULATIONS ARE CLEAR!!! If they aren't so clear, add comments and notes explaining everything so it's easy to use. Also integrate drop down menus and reference other sheets. It's hard to get 12 marks here but complexity is vital.
-For the web banner, make it professional. Add minimal but necessary animation and make sure the text and information stays on the screen long enough to read
-The digital poster is easiest made in PowerPoint. Again, make information easily readable and not big chunks of text.
-The report needs charts and screenshots! DO NOT MISS THEM OUT!!! This is where I lost the marks that would have got me an A* overall! Also, analysis is key.

Activity 3:
-The video is fairly easy. Make sure your storyboard is detailed. Write your script as well and just a tip, it's miles easier to hand draw the storyboard and scan it in.
-The website is easy too. Use a package software such as WebPlus or the Microsoft alternative. Don't HTML code unless you can do it quickly and competently. It will save you hours! Don't use pre made templates; start from scratch and stress this in your activity reviews. It WILL gain you kudos if you do it yourself. Make sure everything is embedded where it should be and that everything is functional.
-Again, activity review should be detailed!

Evaluation:
-Detail! Detail! Detail! Go into so much detail but try to keep everything under 5000 words. My teachers made us cut down our word counts. Analyse everything. Say what went well, what didn't go well. Say why you did/didn't do certain things and how you would improve should you do it again. Give alternate software you could use and even go into detail why things are saved as certain file types. Also, explain how you hit the CAB specification and if you did't, why you didn't. Make a strong conclusion.

Sources:
-Give nearly every source you use. Explain in detail why you used one and not another. Use ideas about .gov or .edu websites being more reliable as they're government and education sites. Say how .au sites may have good info but isn't UK so therefore may not be accurate. Give all pictures and SAVE ALL YOUR SOURCES! (I used video links and didn't save the videos. 2 of my 11 videos were taken off YouTube so I couldn't reference them). Add database, logo, web banner etc as sources. Do advanced searches too.

I hope this helps and your son does well! Tell him to stay on top of his work because he does not want to end up rushing it in the last 3 weeks like I did (I had a lot of sick leave). Also, I doubt he's doing alpacas for his animal so he should have an easier ride than I did! :tongue:

-Matt
also, a theory on the theme. I reckon it will focus on gaming. Last year it was cameras and there's also been recent papers with laptops and mobile phones. Just a thought *shrugs*
Should I be worried about this exam, haven't done any revision for it yet and the exam's tomorrow, I got an A the last past paper I did however. Any ideas?
Original post by KieranPRTL
Should I be worried about this exam, haven't done any revision for it yet and the exam's tomorrow, I got an A the last past paper I did however. Any ideas?

Do a quick bit now :smile: I can help if you need specifics :biggrin:
Original post by batt_mellamy
Do a quick bit now :smile: I can help if you need specifics :biggrin:

I'm planning to do some past papers right now, do you think that would be the right thing to do at this point, considering there's not much time left?
Original post by KieranPRTL
I'm planning to do some past papers right now, do you think that would be the right thing to do at this point, considering there's not much time left?

past papers are always good! dm me if you need help
Original post by batt_mellamy
past papers are always good! dm me if you need help

Cheers! Will do m8!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending