The Student Room Group

Passport worries

Hey,

I am renewing my passport for the first time and I will be getting my first adult passport (I had a childs one before). And my problem is that the person I've used to countersign has written outside the box when she wrote my name, as my name is really long thanks to my double barreled surname.

I was wondering if this would be an issue? Because my countersigner person said it would be okay and she acts as a countersignature for people all the time at her work she said, but I still cant help worrying as I don't want any delays.
Original post by DidiDana
Hey,

I am renewing my passport for the first time and I will be getting my first adult passport (I had a childs one before). And my problem is that the person I've used to countersign has written outside the box when she wrote my name, as my name is really long thanks to my double barreled surname.

I was wondering if this would be an issue? Because my countersigner person said it would be okay and she acts as a countersignature for people all the time at her work she said, but I still cant help worrying as I don't want any delays.

It shouldnt do any harm :smile:
Reply 2
Should be fine :cute:

Question of my own to whoever: I didn't need anyone to countersign for mine and I don't understand why...
Reply 3
Original post by Alexion
Should be fine :cute:

Question of my own to whoever: I didn't need anyone to countersign for mine and I don't understand why...

I was told that I needed someone to counter sign mine because I look vastly different now and unrecognisable to the photo on my child passport, so that was the only reason I needed someone to counter sign.
It should be fine. they may just look at your old passport.

The guidance note says

The personal details section of the passport can only include up to 30 characters (including spaces) for first and middle names and a further 30 characters for surnames. If your names are longer, please shorten them in a way you would want them to be shown on your passport. You should then write your full name in the space in section 8 of the form. We will add your full name on the observation page on your passport
Reply 5
I was told that I needed someone to counter sign mine because I look vastly different now and unrecognisable to the photo on my child passport, so that was the only reason I needed someone to counter sign.

Oh yes, I do remember it asking whether my old pic was still recognisably me. Evidently they agreed haha
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
It should be fine. they may just look at your old passport.

The guidance note says

The personal details section of the passport can only include up to 30 characters (including spaces) for first and middle names and a further 30 characters for surnames. If your names are longer, please shorten them in a way you would want them to be shown on your passport. You should then write your full name in the space in section 8 of the form. We will add your full name on the observation page on your passport

Yeah, my name does comply with the 30 characters things, but my countersign person wrote outside the boxes on section 10 of the form because she said she couldn't fit the last two characters of my surname in. I almost fainted when she told me! But do you really think it won't be an issue?

And the name on my old passport is different :/ But I put in documents supporting my name change, so I don't think that will be an prob
I think it will be fine. the only bit where your name counts is as above.
Having read the notes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517996/Applyingforyourpassport.pdf
Then am not even sure if it needed countersigning unless it was at#4 that you were unrecognisable, which is quite normal for a child.
I think it will be fine., as its just information that wont go on your passport. They just need it to confirm the counter signor is identifying you.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I think it will be fine. the only bit where your name counts is as above.
Having read the notes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517996/Applyingforyourpassport.pdf
Then am not even sure if it needed countersigning unless it was at#4 that you were unrecognisable, which is quite normal for a child.
I think it will be fine., as its just information that wont go on your passport. They just need it to confirm the counter signor is identifying you.

Aww thank you, I really appreciate your help. Its been weighing on my mind all week, so thank you so much! :smile:

Ill defnintley give the notes a read :smile:
Aww thank you, I really appreciate your help. Its been weighing on my mind all week, so thank you so much! :smile:

Ill defnintley give the notes a read :smile:

I think its harmless, but instead of being worrie you can always give them a ring tomorrow. I was suprised how quickly I got through and how much time it saved me on a quite complicated query. I dont think theres anything to worry about.
As long as there's no more than 3 errors(essentially letters outside the boxes), and your countersigner has put their signature fully inside the box you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest