The Student Room Group

What does extrapolate mean (graphs)?

When drawing graphs, it says do not extrapolate if there's more than one set of data???:smile:
Reply 1
Extrapolation is when you extend the line outside your data! So say you had points between 10-60 on the x axis then extrapolating the line would put it through the y axis and past 70! If that makes any sense!
Reply 2
Original post by Ben :)
Extrapolation is when you extend the line outside your data! So say you had points between 10-60 on the x axis then extrapolating the line would put it through the y axis and past 70! If that makes any sense!

So basically it's telling if my sets of data were between 10-60 for instance, I shouldn't draw the line above the given data?
Reply 3
Original post by Adorable98
So basically it's telling if my sets of data were between 10-60 for instance, I shouldn't draw the line above the given data?

Yes, that's what I mean! It's because you don't know the pattern of the data outside your limits, obviously if the graph is linear then you can predict what will happen but you don't actually know because you haven't had any readings for it!
Reply 5
Original post by Ben :)
Yes, that's what I mean! It's because you don't know the pattern of the data outside your limits, obviously if the graph is linear then you can predict what will happen but you don't actually know because you haven't had any readings for it!

I see!! Thank you soo much!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest