The Student Room Group

BA or LLB Law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
There's a difference between hating it and going around bashing it and persuading others not to do it because you failed (referring to him of course).

But yeah, exactly that! If you don't like something, that's fine, even talk about it constructively. Going around saying crap about it is pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are entitled to their opinion, just like everyone else is entitled to theirs.
They dont speak for all students.
Not everyone will study it for money, although career options is one of the biggest factors.
Its not wrong to say a subject is crap , hard work and boring, because thats the same for everyones subject. Certain subjects within law are very tedious and boring for some whereas they may be enjoyable to others.

Studying is not the same as practising, so what you enjoy at Uni may be different from what you might enjoy to do for a living.
Reply 41
Original post by 999tigger
They are entitled to their opinion, just like everyone else is entitled to theirs.
Not everyone will study it for money, although career options is one of the biggest factors.
Its not wrong to say a subject is crap , hard work and boring, because thats the same for everyones subject. Certain subjects within law are very tedious and boring for some whereas they may be enjoyable to others.

Studying is not the same as practising, so what you enjoy at Uni may be different from what you might enjoy to do for a living.

I think you make a very good point about studying and practicing being different.

Personally, I'm aiming to practice in personal/private client law. I love working with people and for people. Something like PI I think I'd find very rewarding despite the amount of reading and paperwork involved. But even that doesn't bother me, I'm an organisation and stationary fiend
Original post by Hann95
I think you make a very good point about studying and practicing being different.

Personally, I'm aiming to practice in personal/private client law. I love working with people and for people. Something like PI I think I'd find very rewarding despite the amount of reading and paperwork involved. But even that doesn't bother me, I'm an organisation and stationary fiend

I wasnt aiming it at you in particular. I find the other persons approach of not being able to accept that people can have a different opinion about studying law to be quite startling.

Law is a service indystry. You will normally have a client Its like anything it has its moments, but for others the appeal can fade or it can be love/hate. Keep an open mind.
Reply 43
I wasnt aiming it at you in particular. I find the other persons approach of not being able to accept that people can have a different opinion about studying law to be quite startling.

Law is a service indystry. You will normally have a client Its like anything it has its moments, but for others the appeal can fade or it can be love/hate. Keep an open mind.

Oh I know, I just meant the...shall we call it discussion on this thread was more about the study of the subject but you make a very good point about the difference between study and practice.

I've definitely got an open mind, PI is just one example of an area I think I'd enjoy working in because of the client contact and varied nature of the work. My only decision to career so far is that the commercial/corporate world is not for me :smile:
Original post by Hann95
Oh I know, I just meant the...shall we call it discussion on this thread was more about the study of the subject but you make a very good point about the difference between study and practice.

I've definitely got an open mind, PI is just one example of an area I think I'd enjoy working in because of the client contact and varied nature of the work. My only decision to career so far is that the commercial/corporate world is not for me :smile:

Well keep an open mind even about that. Try and aim for a practice that does both imo to keep your options open. It will also give you something to compare against.
You might also wnat to get soem experience in private client or something similar.
Reply 45
Well keep an open mind even about that. Try and aim for a practice that does both imo to keep your options open. It will also give you something to compare against.
You might also wnat to get soem experience in private client or something similar.

Dont worry, I have plenty of work experience :smile:
Reply 46

Bashing a subject is not an opinion. Saying 'it's crap, you'll hate it' and whatnot is not an opinion - it's literally just bashing it. He doesn't say why he thinks it's bad, he just assumes that everyone does it for money and will thereby hate it (which is grossly incorrect and does actually imply he's talking for everybody).

You're actually assuming what he does. Yes, many people will choose it for their careers. So what? How does that make the subject bad on its own?

And in the grand scheme if things, just as he is entitled to say this, I'm just as entitled to call it crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Bashing a subject is not an opinion. Saying 'it's crap, you'll hate it' and whatnot is not an opinion - it's literally just bashing it. He doesn't say why he thinks it's bad, he just assumes that everyone does it for money and will thereby hate it (which is grossly incorrect and does actually imply he's talking for everybody).

You're actually assuming what he does. Yes, many people will choose it for their careers. So what? How does that make the subject bad on its own?

And in the grand scheme if things, just as he is entitled to say this, I'm just as entitled to call it crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

opinionəˈpɪnjən/nounnoun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yes I think it qualified as their opinion. They stated they had studied it and didnt enjoy it. I might not agree with them, but I'm open minded enough to accpet they can have their opinion about it. Some people are just motivated by money.

No idea why you are even making your posts as I didnt say anything contrary to it at all.? Fill your boots though.
Original post by Breakingbank
no need to quickly make the assumption that someone is doing a career for the money, they may genuinely enjoy law.. everyone is different something you find boring others may not

But I also share a similar opinion with you :smile: the idea of working in a career which requires a lot of reading does not sound appealing to me

okay well that's your opinion - my opinion is based on my experience
Reply 49
opinionəˈpɪnjən/nounnoun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yes I think it qualified as their opinion. They stated they had studied it and didnt enjoy it. I might not agree with them, but I'm open minded enough to accpet they can have their opinion about it. Some people are just motivated by money.

No idea why you are even making your posts as I didnt say anything contrary to it at all.? Fill your boots though.

I'd prefer the Merriam Webster definition: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing. But even taking your definition, the fact that it doesn't have to be based on fact or knowledge doesn't mean it qualifies bashing. Lol.

I don't get you really. I said, just as he is entitled to say what he thinks, so am I. You're literally doing what you're telling me not to do. He said it's crap, I say that what he says is crap. Opinions, after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Let's all just agree to disagree and us law students can go back to being glum and hating our course, deal?
Just stupid. they had an opinion and they posted it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BubbleBoobies
okay well that's your opinion - my opinion is based on my experience

Yeah I also did work experience, done it at a MC firm and was offered an interview for the vacation scheme after - didn't do it in the end due to the large amounts of reading involved

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending