The Student Room Group

Was I left down after a job trial?

Hi everyone, this is my first forum; I hope revision is going well and the GCSE\A-Level revision isn't too stressful!

I'm going to restart my a levels as I don't like where I am and despise the subject choices I had taken, this means I will have a lot of free time over Summer. For this reason, I am looking for a job.

I applied to a very high end hairdressers, they only have 4 salons in the UK and are well known in the fashion industry. I have no work experience and while I was getting my hair washed there a few weeks ago, the assistant told me to apply as she was the same age as me (16) when she applied and had no experience either so told me it was worth a shot.

I handed a CV in the next day and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday just gone. I waited until all day Wednesday and an hour before the salon was going to shut I decided to call up as I hadn't heard anything. When I rang up they told me to come for a trial for 2 hours on Saturday.

So Saturday came and I stuck to the all black uniform policy, travelled 30 minutes on the train, got there early and started at 10. They told me vaguely what to do, help serve drinks, tidy up, clean up, keep people welcome etc.. As I was doing this I got to know the staff and they all said I was just what they needed. I then told did over-time, no one told me to leave or stop so from the 2 hours original trial I ended up staying till 2:30 (extra 2.5 hours). Just before I left, the person who was looking after me, thanked me and said I will let you know on Wednesday if you have the job. However, it all depends on senior management as we need to keep costs low, so we aren't sure if we are able to hire you but I will put in a good word..

I was really upset afterwards; I don't understand why they would offer me a trial day if they may not be able to afford to hire me. Do you think I have the job and do you have any similar experiences when they have said it depends on management? I feel as if they used that as an excuse to basically say they didn't want me. The 2 assistances Were so stressed with so much work and both said it would be a blessing if I joined..

I really want this job and would love to work for this company! Please comment any experiences/advice below..

Original post by jeevan12
Hi everyone, this is my first forum; I hope revision is going well and the GCSE\A-Level revision isn't too stressful!

I'm going to restart my a levels as I don't like where I am and despise the subject choices I had taken, this means I will have a lot of free time over Summer. For this reason, I am looking for a job.

I applied to a very high end hairdressers, they only have 4 salons in the UK and are well known in the fashion industry. I have no work experience and while I was getting my hair washed there a few weeks ago, the assistant told me to apply as she was the same age as me (16) when she applied and had no experience either so told me it was worth a shot.

I handed a CV in the next day and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday just gone. I waited until all day Wednesday and an hour before the salon was going to shut I decided to call up as I hadn't heard anything. When I rang up they told me to come for a trial for 2 hours on Saturday.

So Saturday came and I stuck to the all black uniform policy, travelled 30 minutes on the train, got there early and started at 10. They told me vaguely what to do, help serve drinks, tidy up, clean up, keep people welcome etc.. As I was doing this I got to know the staff and they all said I was just what they needed. I then told did over-time, no one told me to leave or stop so from the 2 hours original trial I ended up staying till 2:30 (extra 2.5 hours). Just before I left, the person who was looking after me, thanked me and said I will let you know on Wednesday if you have the job. However, it all depends on senior management as we need to keep costs low, so we aren't sure if we are able to hire you but I will put in a good word..

I was really upset afterwards; I don't understand why they would offer me a trial day if they may not be able to afford to hire me. Do you think I have the job and do you have any similar experiences when they have said it depends on management? I feel as if they used that as an excuse to basically say they didn't want me. The 2 assistances Were so stressed with so much work and both said it would be a blessing if I joined..

I really want this job and would love to work for this company! Please comment any experiences/advice below..

They were busy and needed cheap (free) labour. you wont get hired
Reply 2
Would they really do that even though they are such a well known brand?
Would they really do that even though they are such a well known brand?

I dont see how that is relevant.

Hi, here's my take.
There could be all sorts of explanations for what has happened and whether, and on what terms, you will get the job. It's understandable that you are trying to figure it all out.
My advice is to do your best to put this out of your mind till Wednesday. If they don't follow through then and give you the response, then contact them on Thursday and ask where you stand.
I think it's reasonable for you to expect them to inform you whether you will be made a job offer and to hope that you get the job and on decent terms.
I wish you all the best and keep us informed how it goes this week.
My take is you are getting stressed out over nothing. Trials are a bit random and you are going to have to get used to dealing with a few set backs. It may be a genuine reason or it may not.You could have sent them a tank you letter which re-emphasised what a good worker you would make and how keen you are, but that might assist, or backfire depending how they took it. IMO Just wait and see.
Reply 6
Hi Davide,

Thank you very much for that positive feedback. I really hope I do get the job and your response has assured me! I will definitely let you know :smile:
Original post by Davide_online
Hi, here's my take.
There could be all sorts of explanations for what has happened and whether, and on what terms, you will get the job. It's understandable that you are trying to figure it all out.
My advice is to do your best to put this out of your mind till Wednesday. If they don't follow through then and give you the response, then contact them on Thursday and ask where you stand.
I think it's reasonable for you to expect them to inform you whether you will be made a job offer and to hope that you get the job and on decent terms.
I wish you all the best and keep us informed how it goes this week.
Reply 7
Hi 999tigger,

Aww, thats good advice to be honest. I could see how it all goes I suppose. I forgot to add during my break I got the staff krispy kreme doughnuts to say thank you for all the support!

Original post by 999tigger
My take is you are getting stressed out over nothing. Trials are a bit random and you are going to have to get used to dealing with a few set backs. It may be a genuine reason or it may not.You could have sent them a tank you letter which re-emphasised what a good worker you would make and how keen you are, but that might assist, or backfire depending how they took it. IMO Just wait and see.
Sounds like they manipulated you in order to get a free days work without paying anyone.

Clever but pretty damn immoral.
Reply 9
It's very frustrating.. Feel very naive, as this was my first experience with work.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Sounds like they manipulated you in order to get a free days work without paying anyone.

Clever but pretty damn immoral.
It's very frustrating.. Feel very naive, as this was my first experience with work.

I dont think they have manipulated you at all. Were they interviewing or trialing others? Trials can be very hit or miss, so dont take it personally if it doesnt work out. If you did a good job, then be reassured by that, even if you dont get it.
Reply 11
They hired a receptionist that day but didn't say anything about other assistances. The staff has good banter with me and all gave me nicknames, spoke nice to me and were really funny so hopefully its all good!
However some staff did tell me to gown some people up and make latte's which I had no experience before doing in a new work environment so I did ask for a lot of help!

Original post by 999tigger
I dont think they have manipulated you at all. Were they interviewing or trialing others? Trials can be very hit or miss, so dont take it personally if it doesnt work out. If you did a good job, then be reassured by that, even if you dont get it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending