The Student Room Group

Should IT, BBC to Medicine have a "white" quota?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
Its a self evident truth that people are getting higher marks at A level not because they are getting more intelligent or the exams are getting easier rather the teaching of A levels is getting better - specially in private schools (such as Eton).

Thus a child from a sink estate with poor teaching, if he gets a C in biology that is equivalent of an A* at Eton. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue otherwise.

I'm pretty sure you could do some experiments to prove that this is the case beyond any reasonable doubt.

Or what about taking medical students from nations were bribery is more endemic would that be safer than taking a C grade working class boy or girl from a sink estate?

I'll warrant that 50% of medics come from private schools (or more) but they only make up about 10% of students. That I would call cheating - paying money so your kid becomes a doctor while the poor parent has no money to cheat with

I don't go to a private school. I've been raised by a single mum who didn't go to university or even college yet here I am holding a medical school offer predicted 3A*s. It doesn't matter what school or what type of school you go to, it's how hard you're willing to work to achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Laurenk18
I don't go to a private school. I've been raised my a single mum who didn't go to university or even college yet here I am holding a medical school offer predicted 3A*s. It doesn't matter what school or what type of school you go to, it's how hard you're willing to work to achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

a) Have you checked the average cohort member ? Did they go private?
b) What education level was your grand parents and the missing dad (I guess I need the full picture)
c) Did you live in a sink estate?
d) Was your school a failing school?

ps - Good luck I really hope you get the A*s we need a lot more people like you in the profession,
(edited 7 years ago)
When you see a doctor who is between 45 and 65 he or she would have got into medicine with perhaps only C grades. Now you need A*s.

Ummmm - you really didn't. You needed at least three As at A-level (A* didn't exist back then), possibly even 4 As. You also had a gruelling interview and possibly an additional test. Getting into Medicine was as tough then as it is now. I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Reply 23
Original post by ByEeek
Ummmm - you really didn't. You needed at least three As at A-level (A* didn't exist back then), possibly even 4 As. You also had a gruelling interview and possibly an additional test. Getting into Medicine was as tough then as it is now. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Another poster on the other side of the argument to me agreed that you could get in with Bs. A relative of FredOrJohn shadowed a surgeon (in his early 50s) who stated that he got 2 Bs and a C.

so, unless you can prove other wise, the evidence (such that it is) would state I was more likely to be right than you.

I think you need to prove I was wrong as I've got multiple people agreeing with me.
Nope - misdiagnosis. I have all the grades etc (and to be honest I am now in employment - IT (web developer)). I am speaking from observations of the world around me - I have no axe to grind - I'm making a mint (sorry but I am).

There are problems in UK IT and one is the under representation of working class white people and the under representation of women (of all social types).

If you seriously want to know the REAL truth of what is going on read this:

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/8275/lloyds-may-have-replaced-1300-uk-it-workers-with-indian-contractors/

Yes (and what the article does not say is these contractors are now getting £500 a day each - on average)...

Don't believe me?

Check JOBSERVE for bank contract rates:
http://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/JobSearch.aspx?shid=1B231ADC1CFAB38ED7

I misinterpreted what you were calling for. I've seen that kind of problem first hand. We have an open market and it's all about cutting costs.

That is a global problem. Capitalism is competitive. The person who offers services at the lowest price wins and that's going to be immigrants when you go down the chain.

The thing is, on the one side you have the diversity issue any I don't know where to go with that if it's incidental. It's only worth mentioning when incidental diversity imbalances occur elsewhere and then people propose affirmative action to correct it which really becomes part of a racist anti-white-male policy.

On the other hand lowering wages aside and so on, quite often when it comes to cheaper labour it isn't always as good as more expensive labour. I am often the one who has to clean those messes up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by MrControversial
I misinterpreted what you were calling for. I've seen that kind of problem first hand. We have an open market and it's all about cutting costs.

That is a global problem. Capitalism is competitive. The person who offers services at the lowest price wins and that's going to be immigrants when you go down the chain.

The thing is, on the one side you have the diversity issue any I don't know where to go with that if it's incidental. It's only worth mentioning when incidental diversity imbalances occur elsewhere and then people propose affirmative action to correct it which really becomes part of a racist anti-white-male policy.

On the other hand lowering wages aside and so on, quite often when it comes to cheaper labour it isn't always as good as more expensive labour. I am often the one who has to clean those messes up.

What the article does not state is that after a few months these people get the same rate as everyone else. So the net effect is an average Investment bank in the city has lots of asian people earning £500 a day and very few (if any) working class Brits of any sort.

Its all hushed up and brushed under the middle class carpet - don't want to make a fuss or be called a racist. Just go quietly in the long good night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending