The Student Room Group

Medicine at Masaryk University in Brno (Czech Republic)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Med_Doc
This is exactly what I and my friends are experiencing right now. I don't wanna say bad things about the U. but what you said is actually true. There are a lot of people who are doing super good but also the people who are just waiting to see where the next semester is gonna take them like whether they are gonna get kicked out or just leave or transfer.

Did you not just complete your 1st semester at Muni? I'm guessing you failed biophysics? If you did the exam and failed and you used up all your resits this semester, I have a question for you. What were you thinking? If you failed the exam your first go around, you must have had some idea that you were not prepared, so why did you use your 2 resits? Why did you not wait until the summer to do your resits? If you didn't use your resits, then what is the problem? Even if you did use your resits, you still wouldn't get kicked out. Pretty much no one gets kicked out after the first semester because of academics; unless they were caught cheating or something else. If you used up all your resits, you will just have to retake biophysics in your 2nd year and you will not be allowed to take some 2nd year courses e.g. physiology. It is only if you fail biophysics again in your second year, that you will be kicked out. The person who made the comment about Prague being better because teacher's do not want to fail you, clearly doesn't know what they are saying. There are students who have transfered from Prague and other medical faculties in CZ to Muni because they thought they would find it better in Brno. Fact of the matter is, all medical schools in Czech rep. have a very similar course structure and manner of examination. If one was to transfer to a different medical school, their best bet would be to completely leave Czech rep. and go to a different Country. If you and your mates are already complaining about 1st semester of 1st year, you are awaiting to crash and burn. Studying for 5 weeks before an exam in Muni in the first couple of years should get your through the exam and get you a passing grade. For later years, you have to study throughout the semester and then more subject focused studying a month before the exam to have a shot at succeeding. There just is way too much information to learn to leave it to 5 weeks before the exam. My advice: save your parents/your money and leave the university, because if you're complaining after your 1st semester, it is NOT going to get easier. It gets worse with every subsequent year; you are expected to study horrendous amounts of information and be able to remember them for the exams and as previously stated, studying 5 weeks before an exam may work in the first couple of years, but will leave you high and dry in later years. Furthermore, if you're having trouble grasping material or figuring out how to study, make friends with upper year students and ask for their help. They have done what you're doing and can help. I'm not talking about mimsa study sessions or any of that nonsense, i'm talking about a "real friend" that will actually really help you and not just give you some generic crap that you can find on the lecture ppts or textbooks.
Original post by Bunicornaces
Did you not just complete your 1st semester at Muni? I'm guessing you failed biophysics? If you did the exam and failed and you used up all your resits this semester, I have a question for you. What were you thinking? If you failed the exam your first go around, you must have had some idea that you were not prepared, so why did you use your 2 resits? Why did you not wait until the summer to do your resits? If you didn't use your resits, then what is the problem? Even if you did use your resits, you still wouldn't get kicked out. Pretty much no one gets kicked out after the first semester because of academics; unless they were caught cheating or something else. If you used up all your resits, you will just have to retake biophysics in your 2nd year and you will not be allowed to take some 2nd year courses e.g. physiology. It is only if you fail biophysics again in your second year, that you will be kicked out. The person who made the comment about Prague being better because teacher's do not want to fail you, clearly doesn't know what they are saying. There are students who have transfered from Prague and other medical faculties in CZ to Muni because they thought they would find it better in Brno. Fact of the matter is, all medical schools in Czech rep. have a very similar course structure and manner of examination. If one was to transfer to a different medical school, their best bet would be to completely leave Czech rep. and go to a different Country. If you and your mates are already complaining about 1st semester of 1st year, you are awaiting to crash and burn. Studying for 5 weeks before an exam in Muni in the first couple of years should get your through the exam and get you a passing grade. For later years, you have to study throughout the semester and then more subject focused studying a month before the exam to have a shot at succeeding. There just is way too much information to learn to leave it to 5 weeks before the exam. My advice: save your parents/your money and leave the university, because if you're complaining after your 1st semester, it is NOT going to get easier. It gets worse with every subsequent year; you are expected to study horrendous amounts of information and be able to remember them for the exams and as previously stated, studying 5 weeks before an exam may work in the first couple of years, but will leave you high and dry in later years. Furthermore, if you're having trouble grasping material or figuring out how to study, make friends with upper year students and ask for their help. They have done what you're doing and can help. I'm not talking about mimsa study sessions or any of that nonsense, i'm talking about a "real friend" that will actually really help you and not just give you some generic crap that you can find on the lecture ppts or textbooks.

I have spoken to doctors who have graduated from Masaryk and they said if you are prepared for how tough it is going to be and are focused, diligent and hardworking then you will get through and in the end that has to be worth it.

The reason I have chosen to apply to Charles, Masaryk and Palacky is because it would appear the Czech universities are more recognised in the UK. I read an article about Masaryk doctors working in the UK and found it validated my reason for applying to Czech http://www.medicaldoorway.com/study-medicine-in-europe-get-your-first-job/

Still working on getting myself ready for the entrance exam!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kwalsfaa
Hi, I have been told I am able to apply at masaryk but I just wanted to know what it's like? Living costs etc? And where are you from originally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey,
i studied in Brno - living costs vary - minimum living cost would be around 7000 (in you go for dormitories), but with 15000Kč youare more than fine.
Forexample: beer is around 30
breadis around 25
monthlyticket for public transportation is 300
luchin restaurant around 200kč
Best,Peter
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you! I'm looking at working and saving this year as I don't have parents who can financially pay everything for me :smile:
Original post by kwalsfaa
Thank you! I'm looking at working and saving this year as I don't have parents who can financially pay everything for me :smile:

You are welcome! Here is overview of scholarships you can get at MedFac in Brno
http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1388
Reply 265

I don't know how it worked in your year but in my year about 30 ppl left already (it's what I've been told idk if it's true though) and it's only the second semester. Some of them really get kicked out cause they don't have 20 credits so when you said no one gets kicked out after the first semester you're wrong!! At least 3 ppl I know really got kicked out. Some of them just left simply cause they figured medicine is not what they were passionate about. Some of them left just cause the uni changed the system like cramming anatomy into 2 semesters and not all the professors knew what was going on so what we learned in the practices were not even on the exam. And some people didn't find that kinda system suits them really well. We ended up cramming for anatomy since we only knew like a month or 2 before the exam on what exactly was going to be on it. But they did try to help students out during the last week dissection so they cram everything that would be on the exam in the seminar and dissection weeks. Even though I was not exactly complaining we do have rights to complain btw since we paid for our tuition and idk why you sounded so offended I was just simply agreeing with another post. I'm not saying it's a bad uni in fact it is a really good university for ppl who are ready to work hard. The 70% cut off mark for a class like Latin is just not for me. I passed everything else btw just not Latin but the problems (like the oral and histo partial tests totally depends on the professors and if you are lucky the nice professor would try and go a bit easier on you or even help you and the random and what I found to be unfair biology test where each paper is not the same and some got harder questions and some got completely easy question on the test ) still exist. I heard though that they are trying to improve and fix the issue so it may be way better next year since it's getting a bit better already for second semester. I love the uni but just don't feel like it is for me from my personal experience. I must say though If one can graduate from this uni even if not on time (like maybe 7-8 year), that person must be the best of the best and I really respect and admire how hard working they must be. I would not give my opinion on any other uni in cz since I don't know anything about it. Thanks for the advice on how to study btw will keep that in mind. :smile:
Reply 266
Hello everyone, i'm a 3rd year (going on 4th in september) medical student at Masaryk universiry. If you have any questions about the faculty of medicine or the course, then just send me a message or reply my post and i'll try to help.

Hi I have the entrance exam next week at Masaryk Brno. I wanted to ask if they give periodic table in the exam? And also is the exam really tough, bio, Chem and physics? I have seen past papers and they r so different to the study materials I've got through the preparatory course. I'm really nervous.
Please help
Hello every, i'm a medical student at Masaryk university. I'm in my first year, 2nd semester. If you have any questions about the school or the course, i'll be glad to help.

do u have old sample exams/ ?
Original post by Np18
Hello! I'm apply to Masaryk for medicine and will be taking the exam in June (i think) :smile: I too have heard the halls aren't very nice so am contemplating other options. I've seen on other threads from previous years that there is an option for what we would probably call private halls...not really sure though! If anyone has any info please let me know!

Hey I am planning to do the exam this year in July, would you be able to give me any pointers on the exam, did you think it was hard?
Original post by priyaroy789
Hey I am planning to do the exam this year in July, would you be able to give me any pointers on the exam, did you think it was hard?

It is multiple choice so if you don't know the answer try first to identify the answers that you know are not correct. This narrows it down.

Use the past paper on the website in addition to the test prep package. Although the questions appear in both.
Hi
I got the admission from Masaryk uneversity to study Medecine 2016, I live in Liverpool England, need to know if any one from UK. Will go there also, please I also need to know about the accommodation there. Thank you
Original post by Med_Doc
I don't know how it worked in your year but in my year about 30 ppl left already (it's what I've been told idk if it's true though) and it's only the second semester. Some of them really get kicked out cause they don't have 20 credits so when you said no one gets kicked out after the first semester you're wrong!! At least 3 ppl I know really got kicked out. Some of them just left simply cause they figured medicine is not what they were passionate about.

Hardly anyone should have been kicked out after the 1st semester; i'm sure you were all informed that you needed a minimum of 20 credits every semester in order to progress to the next semester. You should have been and you should also have been advised to take extra courses from other faculties for example, if you thought that you would be unable to get up to 20 credits with the obligatory courses.

Original post by Med_Doc
Some of them left just cause the uni changed the system like cramming anatomy into 2 semesters and not all the professors knew what was going on so what we learned in the practices were not even on the exam. And some people didn't find that kinda system suits them really well. We ended up cramming for anatomy since we only knew like a month or 2 before the exam on what exactly was going to be on it.

I heard that they made anatomy 2 semesters instead of the 3 semesters, which I had in my year and previous years. However, I believe they also moved pathology 1 semester down for your year and anatomy is no longer a prereq for pathology (at least that is what i've heard). In my year and upper years, a lot of students were held back until they passed anatomy, before taking pathology and pathology is a prereq for almost all clinical subjects in 3rd year. Besides, if you are taking both pathology and studying for an anatomy exam that you previously failed, your likelihood of passing when you resit is pretty high, due to pathology requiring you to also study anatomy alongside it. That being said, you do not study for exams using only what you learned in seminars and lectures; it is impossible for the teachers to cover everything on the syllabus, which is what you are expected to cover on your own study time

Original post by Med_Doc
Even though I was not exactly complaining we do have rights to complain btw since we paid for our tuition and idk why you sounded so offended I was just simply agreeing with another post.

No one said you do not have the right to complain and i'm not offended by you or your post.

Original post by Med_Doc
I'm not saying it's a bad uni in fact it is a really good university for ppl who are ready to work hard. The 70% cut off mark for a class like Latin is just not for me..

Almost every other subject has a 70% pass mark, they are not going to reduce the pass mark because it's Latin (even Czech exams have a 70% pass mark, unless you passed the mini tests throughout the semester, in which case it would be lower)

Original post by Med_Doc
I passed everything else btw just not Latin but the problems (like the oral and histo partial tests totally depends on the professors and if you are lucky the nice professor would try and go a bit easier on you or even help you and the random and what I found to be unfair biology test where each paper is not the same and some got harder questions and some got completely easy question on the test ) still exist. I heard though that they are trying to improve and fix the issue so it may be way better next year since it's getting a bit better already for second semester.

Yes oral exams are unfair because everyone does not get the same examiner. However, for written exams, there will always be different versions of the exams. Biology is not the only subjects. Other subjects in upper years are the same way. There are always different versions of written tests and exams, because it makes it harder for students to cheat during exams (which some students have been caught doing). In a perfect world, no one would cheat and there would be only 1 version of written tests.
Original post by slovakguy
hey,
i studied in Brno - living costs vary - minimum living cost would be around 7000 (in you go for dormitories), but with 15000Kč youare more than fine.
Forexample: beer is around 30
breadis around 25
monthlyticket for public transportation is 300
luchin restaurant around 200kč
Best,Peter

I would like to know which dormitories cost that much :confused:
No dormitories (including the newly renovated ones) cost up to 7000CZK/month. You can rent a pretty decent size bedroom in a flat for 7000CZK. If someone is charging you 7000CZK/month for sharing a bedroom in halls, then you're being ripped off. For 15,000CZK/month, you can rent a whole flat.
Original post by youssef17ashraf
do u have old sample exams/ ?

No
Hello Bunicornaces,
it would be great, if you can read what other people write here properly.
I wrote: i studied in Brno - living costs vary - minimum living cost would be around 7000 (if you go for dormitories), but with 15000Kč you are more than fine.
Rent/dormitories costs is only one part of living costs.
Have a nice day!

I would like to know which dormitories cost that much :confused:
No dormitories (including the newly renovated ones) cost up to 7000CZK/month. You can rent a pretty decent size bedroom in a flat for 7000CZK. If someone is charging you 7000CZK/month for sharing a bedroom in halls, then you're being ripped off. For 15,000CZK/month, you can rent a whole flat.
Does anyone study in Charles first faculty?
Hey everyone, I'm currently in the 1st year at Masaryk Uni. I'm from London and the Student room helped me a lot in choosing the right uni here in the CZ and also hearing things about how things work here before I came. I'd like to start paying this website back, so if you have any questions, shoot away!
Original post by Np18
Hey, I went through an agency (Abbey college) the website is cmucas.com I have a friend who is a 2nd yr at masaryk and went through them as well!

Hey, I'm going to do the 2 week residential course at Abbey College in July. I'm a little confused about when we leave, do we leave on the last day of our exam or does the stay end as soon as the course is over? Thank You
Original post by priyaroy789
Hey, I'm going to do the 2 week residential course at Abbey College in July. I'm a little confused about when we leave, do we leave on the last day of our exam or does the stay end as soon as the course is over? Thank You

That course is a complete rip off!!
Original post by Cooliomed
That course is a complete rip off!!

Oh, for real? why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending